Mental or physical - not sure where to focus my attention

barrybridges

Head Pro
fairwaytogo.wordpress.com
Happy new year!

I should preface this by saying that I've booked onto lessons starting in a few weeks, but maybe others can help me.

I've recently got back into golf after many years away - so far I've played 4 full rounds and 1 half round, but I do spend quite a bit of time on the range each week and recently got a new set of clubs which are proving to be really good.

My problem is that I'm wildly inconsistent with my game and I'm not sure what I should be doing to focus on improving my on-course game management. I have the ability to hit a brilliant shot one minute but then duff a simple pitch the next. It's like there are two different golfers in me.

On my local course it's 2 x 9 holes (but on different tees out and in). I went round yesterday in 96 but if I take the best score on each hole (e.g. if I compare holes #1 and #10) then I would have gone round in 80! In other words, it's a good round let down by some horrendous duff shots and bad strikes. When I go wrong, I really go wrong.

I'm not sure whether the problem is physical or mental - or how to address it. Sometimes when I hit a really bad shot I beat myself up about it and then it puts me in a bad frame of mind which continues to generate bad shots. Or, if I get some momentum then I also gain confidence and it all goes smoothly. Yesterday I went through six holes with just 2 bogies, but on the out 9 I had a few +3s on there too!

So, I don't know whether it's a physical problem and I just need to spend more time playing (not on the range) to improve my technique to remove the duff shots, or whether it's a mental issue and I'm putting too much pressure on myself to improve quickly.

Would on-course lessons be a good idea?

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
from personal experience ive been there and it sucks. your no doubt have 2/3 basic errors in your technique which are biting you during the round. On course lessons are good but if the basics are broke their pretty much pointless and alot more expensive than range lessons. Id look at getting your basic range lessons sorted and get your range consistancy up before thinking about hittin course lessons.

Out of interested, are you more consistant on the range, and when practicing do you practice varied shots or just full shots.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
What ever level of golf you get to, there will still be silly errors, and shots you would rather you'd hit differently.

It is how you deal with these errors that makes the difference between a good score and a bad one.

barrybridges

Head Pro
from personal experience ive been there and it sucks. your no doubt have 2/3 basic errors in your technique which are biting you during the round. On course lessons are good but if the basics are broke their pretty much pointless and alot more expensive than range lessons. Id look at getting your basic range lessons sorted and get your range consistancy up before thinking about hittin course lessons.

Out of interested, are you more consistant on the range, and when practicing do you practice varied shots or just full shots.

On the range I'm generally good - no duffed shots at all (once I've hit 2 or 3 first balls to warm up), but I know that the range is fantasy land.

When on the range I will always focus on whichever area of my game let me down last time. Typically it's the long irons, but I will mix it up quite a lot.

When I'm on the range at my club (just a field near the course) I'll pretend I'm playing an actual round and will pick out a driver (or 3 wood), 4/5 iron, 7 iron and PW/SW and will then rotate those clubs 1 shot each, to simulate playing a hole for real. I find it more useful than just grabbing a 5 iron and hitting 20 shots with it, because that allows you to fine-tune as you go whereas there is no real 'warm up' in real life - you have 1 shot and it needs to count.

I went out yesterday and what I found let me down was a general inability to get my distances right. What was also interesting was that I normally play on my own, but I teamed up with another single for the 2nd 9 (it was getting dark and the marshalls grouped us together to speed things up) and played so much better with company. I don't know whether it was because there was pressure on me - I wouldn't have thought so as if anything I think pressure is the reason I'm playing inconsistently. On stableford I went round in 40 points so if I can conquer those duff shots I should be well on my way to getting to my 2011 target handicap!

Anyway, I've got a lesson in a couple of weeks so I'm looking forward to that. I don't have a handicap at the moment but I'm hoping to join a club and get my handicap down.

barrybridges

Head Pro
What ever level of golf you get to, there will still be silly errors, and shots you would rather you'd hit differently.

It is how you deal with these errors that makes the difference between a good score and a bad one.

That sounds about right - when I hit a bad shot I usually follow it by another 1 or 2 bad shots until I hit a good one, which restores my confidence.

Yesterday, for example, my 96 including 3 shots getting out of 1 relatively 'easy' bunker, and 3 consecutive duff chips from 15 yards out!

Any tips for what to do in these situations? Maybe I should just take a few steps back, deep breaths and then re-address the ball.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Certainly don't rush the next one. That never works. Neither does getting annoyed, or depressed. Just focus on getting the next one close. Every one has the odd duff (or missed putt), so you need to accept this, and just put it behind you.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
On the range I'm generally good - no duffed shots at all (once I've hit 2 or 3 first balls to warm up), but I know that the range is fantasy land.

When on the range I will always focus on whichever area of my game let me down last time. Typically it's the long irons, but I will mix it up quite a lot.

When I'm on the range at my club (just a field near the course) I'll pretend I'm playing an actual round and will pick out a driver (or 3 wood), 4/5 iron, 7 iron and PW/SW and will then rotate those clubs 1 shot each, to simulate playing a hole for real. I find it more useful than just grabbing a 5 iron and hitting 20 shots with it, because that allows you to fine-tune as you go whereas there is no real 'warm up' in real life - you have 1 shot and it needs to count.

Im totally behind the round simulation way of range practice, i do this 90% of the time unless im working on drills or specific areas like chipping etc.

I went out yesterday and what I found let me down was a general inability to get my distances right. What was also interesting was that I normally play on my own, but I teamed up with another single for the 2nd 9 (it was getting dark and the marshalls grouped us together to speed things up) and played so much better with company. I don't know whether it was because there was pressure on me - I wouldn't have thought so as if anything I think pressure is the reason I'm playing inconsistently. On stableford I went round in 40 points so if I can conquer those duff shots I should be well on my way to getting to my 2011 target handicap!

see my post on ball compressions on this pagge, the difference in temps seems to make a massive impact on teh consistant lengths hit.

bigslice

Tour Winner
Visit site
Happy new year!

I should preface this by saying that I've booked onto lessons starting in a few weeks, but maybe others can help me.

I've recently got back into golf after many years away - so far I've played 4 full rounds and 1 half round, but I do spend quite a bit of time on the range each week and recently got a new set of clubs which are proving to be really good.

My problem is that I'm wildly inconsistent with my game and I'm not sure what I should be doing to focus on improving my on-course game management. I have the ability to hit a brilliant shot one minute but then duff a simple pitch the next. It's like there are two different golfers in me.

On my local course it's 2 x 9 holes (but on different tees out and in). I went round yesterday in 96 but if I take the best score on each hole (e.g. if I compare holes #1 and #10) then I would have gone round in 80! In other words, it's a good round let down by some horrendous duff shots and bad strikes. When I go wrong, I really go wrong.

I'm not sure whether the problem is physical or mental - or how to address it. Sometimes when I hit a really bad shot I beat myself up about it and then it puts me in a bad frame of mind which continues to generate bad shots. Or, if I get some momentum then I also gain confidence and it all goes smoothly. Yesterday I went through six holes with just 2 bogies, but on the out 9 I had a few +3s on there too!

So, I don't know whether it's a physical problem and I just need to spend more time playing (not on the range) to improve my technique to remove the duff shots, or whether it's a mental issue and I'm putting too much pressure on myself to improve quickly.

Would on-course lessons be a good idea?

come on now, you have only played a handful of rounds!!! think of it as a long term game. you have already broke 100, well done. next target break 95 then 90. always look to the positives. the more you play the better you will get.
some basic lessons will help. most of all enjoy it.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
The answer to your question is of course - it's both!

Physical, in that you are inexperienced and you will not hit good shots regularly and you will have to learn the game and when you do you will improve.

Mental, in that you are letting the bad shots get to you and therefore compounding the problem by hitting the next shot when you havn't got over the last one. You should remember that there is absolutely nothing that you can do about the shot you have just played. You need to solely concentrate on the next shot and how you intend to play it, that is the only thing that matters. Tiger Woods apparently has a 10 yard rule for bad shots ie he can get upset for the first 10 yards of walking after hitting a bad one then forget it and move on.

There is plenty of good stuff to read on the mental side of golf and it is as important, I believe, as any part of the game.

Enjoy your golf

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
The only trick with Tigers ten yard rule, is that unless you walk in a large circle, you have to have moved the ball ten yards. Sometimes, this involves multiple shots.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
What is your current handicap. It sounds as if you have expectations above your ability at the moment. There is nothing wrong with that and we all want to be as good as we can at this silly game but sometimes we need to temper our ambitions against reality.

From what you've said you are right back at the start of this leg of your golfing journey as so inconsistancy will haunt your game. My advice is to work hard on the practice drills from your lessons and not go out with too many expectations each time. It sounds like you are putting a lot of pressure on yourself.

As you get back into it, you'll see what areas are causing the most problems and can perhaps get a specific lesson to sort those issues out. We all make mistakes and throw shots away, that's why we have handicaps. Go out and enjoy it and as you relax you'll probably shoot lower.

I use to get so wrapped up in swing thoughts I was destroying any chance I had to put decent rounds together. After a lot of collective comments to that effect on here 2010 was more about hit it, find it and hit it again. Socially it worked a treat and I loved my golf. Competitively it is still a work in progress and I do tend to chuck stupid scores into otherwise respectable medal/stableford rounds. If I hit a bad shot old habits of trying to dissect the reason resurface. I need to relax, have fun and take whatever score I shoot.

barrybridges

Head Pro
What is your current handicap.

I don't even have a handicap at the moment as I'm not a member of any club.

Like I said I've only played five rounds and they have been 111, 110, 110, 96, 96 but maybe you're right and I'm putting too much pressure on myself to improve too quickly and I am trying to play above my ability.

The frustrating thing is that I just don't feel those numbers tell the whole story and that's what's annoying me. Of those 96 strokes I don't feel like I've gone round at an ability of a 24 handicap player (roughly) - I feel like I've played some holes like a much lower handicap player and then played others like a total beginner who has never swung a club in his life. Like you said though, maybe I'm letting it get to me too much and just putting too much pressure on myself.

One good suggestion that someone else wrote was that maybe it would be worth playing a round or two without keeping any score, just to take the pressure off. I might try that next time to see how I get on.

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
you haven't played anything like enough rounds to even think about worrying where you are losing shots, you need to get a lot more rounds under your belt first. just get out and hit shots.

The frustrating thing is that I just don't feel those numbers tell the whole story and that's what's annoying me. Of those 96 strokes I don't feel like I've gone round at an ability of a 24 handicap player (roughly) - I feel like I've played some holes like a much lower handicap player and then played others like a total beginner who has never swung a club in his life.

unless you are exceptionally talented look forward to a lifetime of doing this. it is normal.