Membership Rebate

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
the only reason we didn't have an increase this year was as because we could not have the usual AGM and it would have had to have been a zoom. FYI most of the members would have dialed in and voted against it where as the AGM, only a few go and an increase would have just been a formality. The club does not appear to bale able to live within our means. we borrowed £1m for the course upgrades and are now even talking about changing all the GK equipment, even though most of it is fairly new, putting the club in further debt:censored:
We had our AGM via Zoom a couple of weeks ago and all the votes normally carried out by that were done by remote voting (I think they used survey monkey). By that method the members approved an increase in the annual fee and also to a £50 levy for course improvements (the latter helped by the incredible work done by our greenstaff and the way it is communicated).
Our club finances are watched very closely and shared with the members. During the last 12 months, the club has given regular updates and proposed end of fiscal forecast taking into account changes during the lockdown.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
We had our AGM via Zoom a couple of weeks ago and all the votes normally carried out by that were done by remote voting (I think they used survey monkey). By that method the members approved an increase in the annual fee and also to a £50 levy for course improvements (the latter helped by the incredible work done by our greenstaff and the way it is communicated).
Our club finances are watched very closely and shared with the members. During the last 12 months, the club has given regular updates and proposed end of fiscal forecast taking into account changes during the lockdown.
not at ours , it woudl be easier to find and instance of Boris telling the truth, than get any info from the club except from the AGM mins:LOL:

D

Deleted member 18588

Our board make the decision on the level.of subs, without reference to the AGM. In my view this is the right approach, we as members vote the board into their positions and trust them to run the club in the best interest of all the membership, they cannot do that with one hand tied behind their back.
Do they then have "carte blanche" on determining items such as course maintenance, alterations and improvements?

All these and others such as clubhouse are dependent upon the Club's finances and if only the Board members can decide upon the budget and, therefore, subs it would be pointless consulting the membership on such items.

Accountability does not mean their hands are tied

The Fader

Visit site
Our fees have gone up 5%. However if you paid full fees to support the club throughout last year there is a rebate / reduction which effectively gives 2 months free.

We are also getting a free 4 ball to bring guests.

We are a middle ranking proprietary club that I don't believe to be particularly well off - so I think this represents a great deal.

D

Deleted member 25172

Yesterday I sent a letter to our committee proposing just such a levy, although at £25 per year where members and greenkeeping team can propose the specific projects this money would go towards each year, with final decision to be made by members who'd vote. Spoke to one of the committee members and he didn't seem to approve of any such idea at all. Hope others will find it a good idea.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We have had our notification of the boards decision. (members club)

Fee credit for the first lockdown and none for the second and third lockdowns.

Fees are going up by inflation (they always do) + 2.8% to cover the expected shortfall in income v expenditure for 2021/22.

We are also all being given county cards at no cost and 3 visitors green fee vouchers at no cost.

Those that offered to waive the first lockdown credit are to be given money on their club card.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
So, was this something that was voted on?
Most clubs agree subscriptions via a vote at an agm.

Not where I play. We with have a board of directors, voted in by the members, who make all normal operational financial decisions. The only time we get to vote is if an EGM is called to vote for or against a major financial outlay for a new project.

evemccc

Visit site

Fees are going up by inflation (they always do) + 2.8% to cover the expected shortfall in income v expenditure for 2021/22.

We are also all being given county cards at no cost and 3 visitors green fee vouchers at no cost.

Those that offered to waive the first lockdown credit are to be given money on their club card.

What's their rationale for giving a rebate in the first lockdown but not the second or third? And more importantly, do you and others at your club, believe their rationale and agree with it?

Last edited:

D-S

Visit site

County cards are free in Gloucestershire (or at least the cost is included in your affiliation fee).

doublebogey7

Head Pro
Visit site
Do they then have "carte blanche" on determining items such as course maintenance, alterations and improvements?

All these and others such as clubhouse are dependent upon the Club's finances and if only the Board members can decide upon the budget and, therefore, subs it would be pointless consulting the membership on such items.

Accountability does not mean their hands are tied
The board, in normal times, consult the members on all matters via quarterly forums and which any member may attend, we also get regular updates on progress. All decisions though are the responsibility of the board and they live or die by those decisions. if members are not happy then they can vote the board off at the AGM.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
What's their rationale for giving a rebate in the first lockdown but not the second or third? And more importantly, do you and others at your club, believe their rationale and agree with it?

The rationale for the first was simply it was offer made before the 2020/21 renewals were due and it was an offer made to all those who renewed by the 1st April 2020 so it is slightly misleading in that all members will not get the credit.

The rational behind not offering credits for the second and third lockdowns is simply that there is no money in the coffers it would lead to a shortfall for next year of £200,000. If there was a credit given it would mean that the membership fees would have to be increased to cover it and that increase could well remain in place for some time impacting on future fees.

Personally I agree with the rationale. Having served on the committee up to October 2020 I am well aware of the financial impact on the club caused by the first lockdown which is going to be even worse after the second two.

No idea what others think as we are in lockdown and I do not get to see other members.

As the directors said it is better to have a club to return to.

Golfnut1957

Visit site
Our board make the decision on the level.of subs, without reference to the AGM. In my view this is the right approach, we as members vote the board into their positions and trust them to run the club in the best interest of all the membership, they cannot do that with one hand tied behind their back.
Same at ours. I thought this was the norm.

sunshine

Visit site
Yesterday I sent a letter to our committee proposing just such a levy, although at £25 per year where members and greenkeeping team can propose the specific projects this money would go towards each year, with final decision to be made by members who'd vote. Spoke to one of the committee members and he didn't seem to approve of any such idea at all. Hope others will find it a good idea.

£25 per year, say 400 playing members, that's £10k. What's that going to buy, a lawn mower? I can't imagine the committee or anyone else being keen on proposing projects and organising voting for that level of spend.

sunshine

Visit site
We are a members Club. Our subscription levels are set by the Board of Directors each year and do not need to be approved by AGM; however there is a maximum % level that subs can be increased by without members approval.

We have similar. The Board has discretion up to 4% increase which is sensible I think given we vote them in to do the job.

Of course our subs went up 3.9% this year :whistle:

D

Deleted member 25172

£25 per year, say 400 playing members, that's £10k. What's that going to buy, a lawn mower? I can't imagine the committee or anyone else being keen on proposing projects and organising voting for that level of spend.

If a lawn mower is what the green keeping team wants, but they can't buy it cause there isn't 10k available - sure.

If there's a project that costs £20k, then the proposal could be to start the project after next years fee's have been collected and the £20k needed is available.

It's a first proposal. Perhaps they come back and say just what you said, perhaps not. Perhaps they say, great idea, but let's raise it to £50 and put it to the members.

Coffey

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
We have a course levy at our club. £60 per year and the money is reserved for course improvements.

There was a discussion about scrapping it this year but i'd rather pay the £60 and have the course moving forward.

Normally gets spent on things like redoing paths (we put a full cart path round our second course so seniors could use buggies year round), new tee boxes, redoing winter mats etc etc.

It has allowed us even in these tough times to keep improving the course so I am all for it. The course is a club's biggest asset and can sometimes be overlooked and neglected. That is when members start to leave, people will pay higher fees if the course is good enough as there is nothing better in the area.

sunshine

Visit site
If a lawn mower is what the green keeping team wants, but they can't buy it cause there isn't 10k available - sure.

If there's a project that costs £20k, then the proposal could be to start the project after next years fee's have been collected and the £20k needed is available.

It's a first proposal. Perhaps they come back and say just what you said, perhaps not. Perhaps they say, great idea, but let's raise it to £50 and put it to the members.

I'm guessing the management team would rather increase fees by £25 rather than having to organise a vote to buy a lawnmower. On the other hand, the head greenkeeper is probably grateful for any extra budget he can get his hands on!

D

Deleted member 25172

I'm guessing the management team would rather increase fees by £25 rather than having to organise a vote to buy a lawnmower. On the other hand, the head greenkeeper is probably grateful for any extra budget he can get his hands on!

Yeah, I see what you're saying. As said, it's just an initial idea that originated from that myself, and pretty much all members I know always have their personal bugbears of things they want improved on the course. Things that may fall outside the "regular" upkeep of course, and something that would require extra resources for the green keeping team to get after.

I think that even if you start small, any improvement of the course can only be of benefit, and if members have a say on those improvements as well, even better. Personally, I wouldn't mind a £50 yearly fee, but when putting this forward, I thought it be more sensible with £25 as a "starting offer" just to see what the general feelings around the idea itself would be.

D

Deleted member 18588

Subject to approval at the forthcoming virtual AGM we are being credited with three months membership for Lockdown 1, moving the renewal date to 1 July.

In addition unspent Bar card moneys which would normally be clawed back will remain credited to member's cards and for next year the Bar card levy is to be reduced from £100 to £50.

Subs are increased by 2%.

Last edited by a moderator:

IainP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
Joined at the end of May on direct debit.

The November closedown was just after the November DD was taken, no DD taken in December.
The January closedown was just after the January DD was taken, no DD taken in February.

Downside is the greenkeeping will be on absolute skeleton crew, so sensible expectations when we receive the green light.
Heard from the course today. They will be opening on the 29th, and the DD restarts in May.
A change to the membership though. Being a resort course the 7 day members had free buggy use during the week. Clearly this didn't work out too well in 2020. So, DD stays the same but no more buggy use. Or pay 200 more (year) to keep the buggy option.
I only used one 2 or 3 times last year just to try, so an easy decision for me.