Membership Rebate

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
playing with one of my mates today who's on the committee, told me a few members have written to the club telling them they would not be paying their fee's because the bar has been closed:rolleyes:
Some people just taking the mick.
Paid mine today £1225.
Just hope it’s still there when we emerge from all this.

Mandofred

Visit site
Just had a bunch of people chime in on the money back/rebate issue on our groups Whatsapp. Several people were thinking as I do, I don't mind paying the full up front subs as long as everybody had to pay the full sub fee. I do not want to pay full price so that a lot of other people got to not pay for a couple of months. Waiting to see what is supposed to come out next week from the club. I would just as soon have the one months money back (£75 or so I think) since I don't know what the heck I'm doing when the renewal comes up at the end of March.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
My old club is in a seriously sticky position. 50% of the membership is direct debit as was I, and during all lock downs collections of debits were cancelled, effectively no DD member is out of pocket. However the other 50% who paid upfront have receive little communication other than “ it’s being discussed “

I don’t see how the club can give a 50% refund on the rest of the membership as I’m sure that will leave the pot very low, hopefully they get a progressive discount over 1-2 years.

One things for sure , moving forward most members will opt for the DD payment method as they are clearly protected under some sort of act.

IainP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
Joined at the end of May on direct debit.

The November closedown was just after the November DD was taken, no DD taken in December.
The January closedown was just after the January DD was taken, no DD taken in February.

Downside is the greenkeeping will be on absolute skeleton crew, so sensible expectations when we receive the green light.

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
I left my old club last month and joined a new one ( Clandeboye, 2 course heathland set up), old club offered very little going forward and new club already looking to waive fees for Jan, Feb, March next year as well as a few events etc to thank the membership.

Zig

Visit site
Comms from our club has been really good: it's an old-fashioned members club without a millionaire bank-roller, so it's clearly a big concern for the club, as well as for members paying for a closed course the same as many others on this forum. Reality is though that no fees = no club.

We've had the offer of 2x free four balls running upto xmas to compensate for the lockdowns etc with one based on prompt payment of fees (we run Jan-Dec). Just received an email this week saying our fees will be for 14months rather than 12 this time around, with next renewals not till March 2022. I think they're doing a great job of balancing a very difficult situation.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Notice of subs for this coming year is normally with us by now (to be paid or arrangements in place by end Feb for membership year starting 1st April) but club has delayed making the 'ask' - giving as long as possible for the situation in respect of 'course re-opening' to become clear.

We got pro rata compensation for time lost last year - lump sum or two years of reduced subs - but we have to be careful - as @Zig - members club without anyone to bankroll us other than the membership.

Reactions: Zig

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
My old club is in a seriously sticky position. 50% of the membership is direct debit as was I, and during all lock downs collections of debits were cancelled, effectively no DD member is out of pocket. However the other 50% who paid upfront have receive little communication other than “ it’s being discussed “

I don’t see how the club can give a 50% refund on the rest of the membership as I’m sure that will leave the pot very low, hopefully they get a progressive discount over 1-2 years.

One things for sure , moving forward most members will opt for the DD payment method as they are clearly protected under some sort of act.
I'm a bit surprised as I thought that any such credit arrangement an individual enters entails signing up to a contract - and I am surprised that such a contract has a break clause that enables one party to stop paying if the facility being paid for isn't available for reasons outside of the control of the other party.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I'm a bit surprised as I thought that any such credit arrangement an individual enters entails signing up to a contract - and I am surprised that such a contract has a break clause that enables one party to stop paying if the facility being paid for isn't available for reasons outside of the control of the other party.
It depends if the DD is direct to the club or to a finance house.
Several clubs around here allowed Direct Debits like that rather than get involved with places like Fairway Credit.
So if the DD is with the club, they can pause it at any time.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
It depends if the DD is direct to the club or to a finance house.
Several clubs around here allowed Direct Debits like that rather than get involved with places like Fairway Credit.
So if the DD is with the club, they can pause it at any time.
We do our DDs with Fairway Credit. A few years ago we thought about doing our own but the view was that we didn't want to get all tangled up with all that is required to be compliant with Financial Services regulations - and on reflection a good decision given the risk, if doing our own, of being pressured by membership into allowing DD payments to be halted as has happened as mentioned. That way seems to lead towards bankruptcy...

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
A club I used to be involved with started out doing DD (or standing order) direct with members. Over the winter quite a few people stopped paying!

D-S

Visit site
We stopped doing DD ourselves a few years back and moved to Fairway Credit as the rules on giving credit were tightened considerably and the licence fee went up. I believe you should do credit checks on all those using the scheme and the penalties for getting it wrong are severe. The mere fact that people stop paying for an agreed 12 month fee that is paid in instalments mean that something is wrong and this should be on their credit record. It is not a monthly membership, it is an annual fee paid in 12 instalments.

Visit site
I paid full fees up front in mid-November [you get a 100 E discount] and haven't been back to play since :oops:
I don't mind - I knew they needed the cashflow

Our club is a bit different to UK model - you also pay to play in comps 10 or 20 Euros which I guess keeps annual subs down to affordable levels compared to many Italian clubs
That obviously has taken a hit in 2020 as well

I know some members were complaining among themselves last September about not getting any freebies when everything was shut from end of Feb thru Mid-June
Personally I think it just comes with the territory and I'd rather the staff were all retained as far as possible [Ultimately we are owned by the owner of Atalanta but i'm not sure if he bails the club out]
Its really the only thing I do here that isn't work or lass or zoo related so i probably am more tolerant

I actually may get out this weekend - weather and dog duties permitting
No comps allowed but you can do a General Play with 2 others and try to get a cut thru WHS which is now in play here

Coffey

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I left my old club last month and joined a new one ( Clandeboye, 2 course heathland set up), old club offered very little going forward and new club already looking to waive fees for Jan, Feb, March next year as well as a few events etc to thank the membership.
Welcome! I am sure you will love it here

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Club are offering a credit equivalent to the number of weeks the course has been closed. Members can ‘gift’ this credit back to the club if they wish, in blocks of 25%. Unfortunately for me, this is only available for those who paid their fees in full by Apr 2020 and, as I only joined later in the year, I am therefore not eligible for a credit. This is despite me paying as much as any other member since joining and missing the same amount of golf. Bit peeved at the moment

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Club are offering a credit equivalent to the number of weeks the course has been closed. Members can ‘gift’ this credit back to the club if they wish, in blocks of 25%. Unfortunately for me, this is only available for those who paid their fees in full by Apr 2020 and, as I only joined later in the year, I am therefore not eligible for a credit. This is despite me paying as much as any other member since joining and missing the same amount of golf. Bit peeved at the moment
I think that's completely unfair.
Any rebate should be Pro rata.
I'd argue it.
It seems we are not all in this together.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site

Looks very nice, good luck with it. (y)