Membership Rebate

Hammertoe

Assistant Pro
Visit site
We have had an email this morning from the club saying that we are going to be rebated some of our membership fees due to being in lockdown and not being able to play. We have been in lockdown in Northern Ireland since Xmas day and it has been extended to the start of March. What we get back will depend on the length of the lockdown.

I know this may sound strange but I am a little bit apprehensive about this, I can see why they are doing it and I know a lot of people have been complaining about paying fees whilst they can't play, but I really love our club, I work in the bar, it's a great course and they have a lot of work going on around the course (2 par 4's are being switched round and a par 4 is being lengthened to a par 5).

So really what I'm thinking is this money could be better spent on the course rather than keeping some people who constantly complain happy, as has been said many times these are unheralded times and I don't want the club putting themselves in real financial difficulty just to keep a few happy.

Just wondering your thoughts and has anyone else's club done this?

arnieboy

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
We are to receive a 10% discount on next year's fees but the income lost will be compensated for by the large number of new members who have joined in the past year.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Still unsure as to whether we'll get anything.
Subs due before the end of March so we'll find out soon.
I won't bleat if we get nothing and if we do get something I would be quite happy to forgo the amount if it helps to keep the club going.
I appreciate that there will be some in the club that won't/can't take that stance

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Our club reduced this calendar year's subs by a smidge under 10% to recognise lack of golf last year (and this!) but also reminded us that as a Member Owned Club, we are all stakeholders in our profit/loss.

Wife is member at a Marriott owned course and they have suspended all payments while locked-down.

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site
We've offered 12 months for 10 if you renew before April the 1st. Have already had a few members say they are willing to pay full whack which is great. Our biggest worry is due to be being on a county border when we were in the tier system over 120 members couldn't play , so fear they wont re-join until we know how we're going to come out of this lockdown and if we will be tiered again.

D

Deleted member 15344

It’s very hard to find the balance

If you are a members club then they rely on the membership income to keep the course and club sustainable-it will be the very basic financial need required. Many clubs will still have green staff working on the course and some admin office staff so bills need to be paid

We were offered three choices -

No credit
Credit onto the bar card
Credit in cash

I’m of the belief that I want the club to still be there when we are allowed to be open so I’m happy to take no credit but I know some maybe struggling financially so won’t be able to pay fees at the moment

I think we can only judge our own personal circumstances and how each club is run

D

Deleted member 1147

We got £150
Split into £30 parts, which could be split between:
-reduced subs for 2021
-on our bar cards
-driving range tokens
-guest vouchers
-gift to the club

I took £90 off subs & £60 on the bar card. That way the club & I both benefit.

Reactions: C&R

Mandofred

Visit site
I just got a message from the club mgr a little while ago about a question I had about getting some money back from several weeks ago.....he is planning on a message to everybody soon that will update the info I think.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
We had a similar thing at our club after Lockdown Mk.1 when we couldn't get onto the course. The club came up with the following options:
  1. Cash refund of the Clubhouse Subscription (bar card) and 50% of the Locker Fee paid this year;
  2. Retain the Clubhouse Subscription on your Card for use when the Clubhouse reopens with any unspent amount at the end of the year carried forward to 2021. No refund of 50% of Locker Fee.
  3. The amount of the Clubhouse Subscription is retained by the Club and transferred to a new Course Development Fund for a project to be identified by our Course Manager. No refund of 50% of Locker Fee.
Number 2 was the default option where you didn't have to contact the club. If you wanted Option 1 or 3 you had to let the club know your choice.
I went for option 3. I pay my membership a year in advance by direct debit, so it was already paid for, and I felt the money was better spent being used on the course. The fact our new head greenkeeper is doing such great work helped me in my decision.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Everybody was offered credit for the first lockdown against the April 21 fees.

Many said they did not want it and the club has asked for others to consider taking the same approach.

I am considering it but also have to weigh up how many weeks a year I loose due to a buggy ban being in place. E.g. I think the last time I played a full round was the second week of December, but it may have been Boxing Day.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
We got £150
Split into £30 parts, which could be split between:
-reduced subs for 2021
-on our bar cards
-driving range tokens
-guest vouchers
-gift to the club

I took £90 off subs & £60 on the bar card. That way the club & I both benefit.
I like this option. I know a lot of my playing group have said they would like to see any discount (nothing set in stone yet) put on their bar cards and I am thinking this is a good idea.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
We have had £200 (I think, it might be 150), put on our bar card. No one asked for it, but it's a nice gesture. Hope the club can afford it.

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We have had £200 (I think, it might be 150), put on our bar card. No one asked for it, but it's a nice gesture. Hope the club can afford it.

It s a good move, get members used to going in the bar and spending again, a lot of people will have got used to going straight to the car after their game.

Swango1980

Visit site
No refund for us, but most members are on Budget membership, where they pay £200 annually, then £6 a round at weekend, £4 a round midweek. So, the fact we are closed means they get their refund every time they cannot play a round.

Very difficult for club though. Although there was an influx of members last year, the club still relies on both those member green fees as well as non-member green fees, and it also requires income from the bar/restaurant (which is open to the public) which has pretty much either been closed during lockdown, or people reluctant to use it outside of lockdown. So, tough times.

toyboy54

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I honestly can't recall if anything was offered-can't be bothered going through my emails-just went up today and full whack for my class of membership+bar card+ lockers+trolley shed.Attitude is that club still expenses/maintenance etc;plus greenkeepers etc so why not pay up?
Jimbo

OnTour

Head Pro
Visit site
Zip at my new place joined in NOV had 1 month's golf, subs for 2021 go up £10 as per mailer last week. luckily it's not super expensive per month so the initial 5 months only cost £350.

Money not the issue or the club

Last edited by a moderator:

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
We have been offered 2 free individual & 1 group lesson already, and we have been told that there is a reasonable surplus; we have been offered that on the bar cards or to be put towards a course project, to be decided by a vote or EGM.

Personally I have more than had my money's worth over my membership so would vote for the course project, but I have a suspicion the alternative will win out.