Matchplay handicap question?

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
My PP and I have qualified for the 4bbb winter league quarter finals.
Am I right in saying that if he plays on his own, as I will not be fit, that he still plays off the handicap the we would do if i were playing.? It's useful as I'm higher handicap than him

Many thanks for answering

doublebogey7

Head Pro
Visit site
You've lost me, in a 4 ball you are playing your own ball. Your playing handicap is therefore your own and your partner has no effect on that. Where you may be confused, the stroke allowances are calculated from the playing with the lowest playing handicap, whether they are in attendance or not.

wjemather

Visit site
Am I right in saying that if he plays on his own, as I will not be fit, that he still plays off the handicap the we would do if i were playing.? It's useful as I'm higher handicap than him

Yes, handicap allowances are always calculated as if all players are present.

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site

I bet your PP is doing summersaults :p

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I bet your PP is doing summersaults :p

Trouble was that we entered the comp last October and there was no sign of a problem cropping up back then. Some years ago my PP left the club at renewal time and I had no choice but to play the semi final on my own and I certainly gave my opponents a scare, so if my partner could pull off an amazing result I may just be fit for the next round,. I have the same problem in the vets section where a different partner and i have reached the greensomes and foursomes winter finals, and we had to cancel todays greensomes final as the forecast is 40 to 50 mph winds and the course closed yesterday due to heavy rain, and no chance to rearrange the game.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Trouble was that we entered the comp last October and there was no sign of a problem cropping up back then. Some years ago my PP left the club at renewal time and I had no choice but to play the semi final on my own and I certainly gave my opponents a scare, so if my partner could pull off an amazing result I may just be fit for the next round,. I have the same problem in the vets section where a different partner and i have reached the greensomes and foursomes winter finals, and we had to cancel todays greensomes final as the forecast is 40 to 50 mph winds and the course closed yesterday due to heavy rain, and no chance to rearrange the game.
Well unlike 4BBB, where your partner simply bears all responsibility, you are, unfortunately, stuffed in G'somes and 4'somes unless you can actually play in the mtch!

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Well unlike 4BBB, where your partner simply bears all responsibility, you are, unfortunately, stuffed in G'somes and 4'somes unless you can actually play in the mtch!

Yep, I knew that, but as luck would have it, we are likely to be playing against the same pair in both. One of the two is the vets Captain and his chosen charity is Prostate Cancer UK, so he has a certain amount of sympathy for my predicament and being a decent guy too, he is hoping that the vets committee will allow an extension to the "play by" dates, but if they won't, so be it, it's hardly something i can put off!