Matchplay Championship

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
I entered the pairs matchplay championship this year for the first time , the golfcare one with the final in Dubai.

My mate said that you can play some nice courses along the way and often get courtesy of course (a free round:D)

We played our first match today at home to Mill Ride and came through 3&1:thup:

I know there is a fair amount of scepticism on here due to the high probability of banditry in these comps but for £30 entry I thought why not?

Anyone else entered this?

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Not this year. Hawkeye and I did the Nike for a few seasons but we got bored snatching defeat from the jaws of victory and having opponents seemingly inspired to do ridiculous things against us (50ft birdie putts on first play off hole with the ball going off the green had it not hit the flag, he was off the surface, pairs scoring six birdies in nine holes as a pair etc)

sam85

Head Pro
Visit site
I entered the singles for exactly the same reason. It's my first proper year of golf so I thought it a good opportunity to play somewhere else. Got drawn at home in the first round and lost on the 20th hole :rolleyes:

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
What my mate didn't tell me is that in this particular comp you cant see who you play next until you email your result. What this means is that you could give up home advantage by leaving it late to submit your result (pair to submit first gets to play at home) only to find that you play away at a rubbish course.

I suppose we will enter the result asap and if we get a home draw against a top course (doh!) we will ask if we can play away:D

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
Me and a mate have, haven't they changed it now so it has a max 12 handicap though?

Today I gave one of my opponents 8 shots so he is playing off 20-21, could you mean maximum 12 shot allowance? (3/4 the difference).

I'll double check that I have the right comp, I know its a Dubai final so I assume it was the golf care one. There could be others.