Another winter comp question

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Our Club runs a pretty competitive Winter League through the whole winter period. Its 4 bbb, firstly in a league then moving to a knockout competition. I was only asked my opinion on a problem that has cropped up as I'm no longer a committee member

One of the pairs who entered back in October last year have got through to the latter stages but one of the pair has lost his competition status since the turn of the year, he was ok when he entered the competition and played the early stages off a competition handicap. Since the 1st of January, to be fair, the course has barely been fully open enough to give him any chance of putting 3 cards in to restore his handicap.

So, some members feel he shouldn't be allowed to continue in the comp and others (including me) disagree. I take the view that the golf Committee should realise there is potential for this to happen in comps that straddle a year end and instigate a rule for this at the start of the competition entry

Any thoughts guys?

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
Make it a condition of comp that a player must maintain a ""c" Handicap for the duration of the comp.

Or... Do the opposite and state that the "c" status must be held at the time of the first game.

Doesn't matter which, as long as every player knows in advance.

As long as they know the conditions under which they enter and play they can't complain.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We have it in our Rules of the Competition that players are required to have Competition Status before they play the first round but may continue to play in the comp if they lose it during it.

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
Oh yeah... Didn't actually say this but my view is let him play on. Its not his fault the Committee didn't anticipate this happening.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Oh yeah... Didn't actually say this but my view is let him play on. Its not his fault the Committee didn't anticipate this happening.
You are right. It is the fault of the Committee as they didn't anticipate that players may not have the opportunity to put supplementary cards in during the winter. Presumably you had no qualifiers.

mikejohnchapman

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I presume due to the conditions his handicap hasn't changed. Therefore as he entered correctly and the competition conditions were silent on the issue he must be allowed to complete the competition. However, he would't be allowed to enter any new competitions until his "c" statues was restored.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
I presume due to the conditions his handicap hasn't changed. Therefore as he entered correctly and the competition conditions were silent on the issue he must be allowed to complete the competition. However, he would't be allowed to enter any new competitions until his "c" statues was restored.
' ' status does not prohibit entry unless the COC includes the prohibition.

Clubs may use the possession of a ‘c’ status handicap as a qualification for entry to competitions.

brfcfan

Visit site
Our Club runs a pretty competitive Winter League through the whole winter period. Its 4 bbb, firstly in a league then moving to a knockout competition. I was only asked my opinion on a problem that has cropped up as I'm no longer a committee member

One of the pairs who entered back in October last year have got through to the latter stages but one of the pair has lost his competition status since the turn of the year, he was ok when he entered the competition and played the early stages off a competition handicap. Since the 1st of January, to be fair, the course has barely been fully open enough to give him any chance of putting 3 cards in to restore his handicap.

So, some members feel he shouldn't be allowed to continue in the comp and others (including me) disagree. I take the view that the golf Committee should realise there is potential for this to happen in comps that straddle a year end and instigate a rule for this at the start of the competition entry

Any thoughts guys?

We make it a condition that you must have played 6 club qualifiers to enter a club knockout. Reason for this is twofold

1 To ensure as much as possible that the handicap has been tested.
2 To ensure that the person is supporting club competitions and contributing to Committee funds rather than rocking up for trophy events where the prizes are much greater.

If the guy has been injured then I have sympathy, if not then yes I would kick him out, but the Conditions of the Comp need to be explicit to avoid any debate.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
We make it a condition that you must have played 6 club qualifiers to enter a club knockout. Reason for this is twofold

1 To ensure as much as possible that the handicap has been tested.
2 To ensure that the person is supporting club competitions and contributing to Committee funds rather than rocking up for trophy events where the prizes are much greater.

If the guy has been injured then I have sympathy, if not then yes I would kick him out, but the Conditions of the Comp need to be explicit to avoid any debate.

And I think that's the problem. That the Golf Committee failed to recognise the fact that he (or others) could lose his competition handicap mid competition. I do think however that the committee have no right to make rules like number 2, it's a members decision as to whether he wants to play in competitions that he qualifies for and this particular one is no more valuable prize wise than any others. I dont know the details of his failure to put in cards for handicapping but he certainly was ok when the comp started

brfcfan

Visit site
And I think that's the problem. That the Golf Committee failed to recognise the fact that he (or others) could lose his competition handicap mid competition. I do think however that the committee have no right to make rules like number 2, it's a members decision as to whether he wants to play in competitions that he qualifies for and this particular one is no more valuable prize wise than any others. I dont know the details of his failure to put in cards for handicapping but he certainly was ok when the comp started
Committee’s have expenses that need to be paid, if everyone only played 3 comps a year who would pay for trophy and board engraving amongst other expenses?

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Committee’s have expenses that need to be paid, if everyone only played 3 comps a year who would pay for trophy and board engraving amongst other expenses?

Those who enter the comps pay, I play in every comp I can, but I dont believe a club can make rules that force members to put money into the pot against their wishes. A similar argument was put for car park members and many on here said that they pay their annual subscriptions and should not be forced to put money on a club card.