Match Play ruling

Age78

Visit site
My playing partner and I were playing our midweek MP competition. Heavens came down and greens became flooded. We are currently 2 up at the turn. We agreed to postpone the match and continue on another day when the greens are playable again.

This chap has spoken to someone at our club who has suggested that we need to start the round from the 1st hole again from 0????

Am I right in thinking that this is incorrect as we had a gentleman’s agreement that we said we would continue from 10th hole with the current score in the tie.

Many thanks in advance.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
My playing partner and I were playing our midweek MP competition. Heavens came down and greens became flooded. We are currently 2 up at the turn. We agreed to postpone the match and continue on another day when the greens are playable again.

This chap has spoken to someone at our club who has suggested that we need to start the round from the 1st hole again from 0????

Am I right in thinking that this is incorrect as we had a gentleman’s agreement that we said we would continue from 10th hole with the current score in the tie.

Many thanks in advance.
You may want to move this thread into the rules section where it will be seen by the rules experts, but in the meantime, this may help...

''Whether play is being resumed on the same day or another day, it is important to remember that the match resumes play from where it was suspended rather than starting the match again.''

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Play to resume from the 10th tee with the current score of 2 up to your side.

If opponents refuse to play, then they have abandoned the match and you claim the win.

You need to make it clear that you will claim the win unless they play from the 10th with your side 2 up.
No other rules apply.
Waste no time in "discussions".

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Don't take my word for it though.
I was only a pro for 15 years and as most people on here will tell you, pros know nothing about the rules. (y)

wjemather

Visit site
Play to resume from the 10th tee with the current score of 2 up to your side.

If opponents refuse to play, then they have abandoned the match and you claim the win.

You need to make it clear that you will claim the win unless they play from the 10th with your side 2 up.
No other rules apply.
Waste no time in "discussions".
No-one can "claim the win". The rules are clear on how to resume the match, and the penalty for failure to do that.

Voyager EMH

Visit site
No-one can "claim the win". The rules are clear on how to resume the match, and the penalty for failure to do that.
Which will be a loss of the match.
The other side being awarded the win.

This is why I would "claim the win" to the Handicaps and Comps committee, rather than leave any doubt in anyone's mind as to my position on the matter.

Yes, the rules should disqualify the other side for failure to play, but my experience with H&C committees is that it is best to make one's position on the matter very clear.

"We turned up, they didn't, we have won." - Rather than ask for a ruling, which leaves the door open for committee to discuss the matter with the other side who might start making up stories and waste my time.
It is a risk to leave any doubt as to one's position on the matter.

Been there, done that, know what I'm talking about.

Last edited:

wjemather

Visit site
Which will be a loss of the match.
The other side being awarded the win.

This is why I would "claim the win" to the Handicaps and Comps committee, rather than leave any doubt in anyone's mind as to my position on the matter.

Yes, the rules should disqualify the other side for failure to play, but my experience with H&C committees is that it is best to make one's position on the matter very clear.

"We turned up, they didn't, we have won." - Rather than ask for a ruling, which leaves the door open for committee to discuss the matter with the other side who might start making up stories and waste my time.
It is a risk to leave any doubt as to one's position on the matter.
The committee doesn't care what your position is - they are only be interested in the facts, and they will make a decision based on them, the rules and the terms of competition. They will also talk to both sides.

Any committee acting on one individuals claim in blind faith have no business being the committee.

Voyager EMH

Visit site
The committee doesn't care what your position is - they are only be interested in the facts, and they will make a decision based on them, the rules and the terms of competition. They will also talk to both sides.

Any committee acting on one individuals claim in blind faith have no business being the committee.
That would all be true in a perfect world, but I have never experienced such a thing. One of the two opponents might be on the committee or a close friend or relative of someone on the committee. All sorts of situations can occur in reality causing bias.
Facts can become a who-said-what-and-when discussion that is open to lies and misreporting.

I would not expect "Any committee acting on one individuals claim in blind faith" to ever occur. I never said it should. You do have a habit of putting words into others' mouths. The committee would have to do their job.

But what one needs to do is make one's position very clear.