Masters on the Beeb

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

Jeff Lamp

Visit site
Doubt Zinger will be on the BBC commentary this year, he's just got the job to replace Jonny Miller on NBC.
The Masters is on CBS in the states so he should still be free (and Ken Brown's tweet above suggests he'll be with the BBC).

Not an Alliss fan myself but think Andrew Cotter is a great commentator.

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
The Masters is on CBS in the states so he should still be free (and Ken Brown's tweet above suggests he'll be with the BBC).

Not an Alliss fan myself but think Andrew Cotter is a great commentator.

Ah yeah, so it does, missed Ken's tweet. He did a good job last year. I enjoy listening to Zinger, Brown and Cotter. Even Alliss is entertaining to listen to, I'd rather listen to him than Mark Roe anyway.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
All this split between who does the Masters better reminds me off the old days when the FA cup final was a big thing and both BBC and ITV would start there programmes and build up from mid-morning and can remember at school there always being a big debate on who did it better. For me it was BBC with FAM Cup Mastermind and supporters Its a Knockout

D

Deleted member 15344

I used to enjoy it when the BBC had Wayne Grady as part of their team - he gave honest opinions, rather than being frightened of potentially upsetting someone.

Recall after one of Tiger's standard hard work post round interviews, WG saying "its like pulling teeth at times". Merely stating what viewers will have been thinking, but can you imagine anyone on Sky saying that?!

Rich

Wayne Grady for me was superb - one of the best golf commentators out there , excellent - shame he retired but thought Azinger was a great replacement for him last year , it’s far better having commentators that have actually done it on the big stage

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
Of course the BBC care about golf. If they didn't, they wouldn't bother showing it at all. The problem is they simply cannot afford to compete with Sky when buying the rights.
One can only conclude that for some reason the owners of the rights to the Masters are enlightened enough to realise that offering an affordable deal to a terrestrial broadcaster is the honourable thing to do.

Sky's immense purchasing power is what has pushed most sports off terrestrial TV. And they only have that power because there are people prepared to pay silly money to watch.
I personally find it outrageous that Sky sports charges about £30 a month and then they have the nerve to show adverts as well!

And of course it's because Sky (and other pay-TV broadcasters) have this staggering purchasing power that there is now an obscene amount of money sloshing around pro sports.
There's something seriously wrong with the world when guys who happen to be able to kick/throw/etc a ball around get paid more in a week than nurses/teachers/policemen/etc get in a year.

I agree with the later paragraphs, but you forget to mention that the bbc gave up the open a year early when they had in on contract. They chose not to have it as it wasn’t financially viable even at their current rates. So whilst I’m sire they’d love it, sport is a business and they’re (golf associations) aren’t gonna hand it to them for peanuts so the bbc can simply ale a profit off of it.

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
Alliss has sadly become a parody of himself.

But, at least, he is only one annoyance. Sky has Butch "Are you kidding me?" Harmon, Mark "I love Tiger" Roe, some idiot called Radar and Paul McGinley who has soon become golf's equivalent of Boycott.

As for the advert breaks there's not a lot Sky can do about them as the TV feed is provided by the American broadcaster.

Are you kidding me.....how dare you belittle the great man:eek:, I like Radar as an course commentator for the golf - his "Round with Radar" episodes for Ping are also great fun. All kidding aside, Butch does a pretty good analysis too, and is suprisingly unbiased against the Americans. I also think Rich Beem, David Coulthart and Nick Dougherty do a good job, but SKY can do away with Roe, Lee, Holmes and McGinley.

I don't think it's a bad thing having coverage on the BEEB as well as SKY, neither is perfect but it offers choice to the viewer. You can take your pick on the one that annoys you the least.

woofers

Medal Winner
Visit site
I think you mean Andrew Coltart, who does an expert commentary from on course.
David Coulthard is an overrated, in my opinion, Ex Formula 1 racing driver.
I think it’s common consensus on here that Roe should go, I am sick of hearing how every short chip / pitch is “really tricky”.
I like Butch Harmon, Nick Doughty is doing a great job, Rich Beem and Rob Lee are OK but Ewan Murray is a bit old school, patronising and heading the way of Critchley. Paul McGinley just grates on about Rory McIlroy, is he his love child or something ?

Be grateful they haven’t got Tony Johnstone or Sam Torrance doing commentary, every shot’s “a beauty”.

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
I think you mean Andrew Coltart, who does an expert commentary from on course.
David Coulthard is an overrated, in my opinion, Ex Formula 1 racing driver.
I think it’s common consensus on here that Roe should go, I am sick of hearing how every short chip / pitch is “really tricky”.
I like Butch Harmon, Nick Doughty is doing a great job, Rich Beem and Rob Lee are OK but Ewan Murray is a bit old school, patronising and heading the way of Critchley. Paul McGinley just grates on about Rory McIlroy, is he his love child or something ?

Be grateful they haven’t got Tony Johnstone or Sam Torrance doing commentary, every shot’s “a beauty”.
No mention of Coulthard, just Coulthart with an added "h", my bad :(:p

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
Butch, Radar, Beem and Dougherty are the highlights of the Sky team I think, I could listen to Butch commentate all day. Just a shame Mark Roe still has a job, he's dreadful.

D

Deleted member 18588

Are you kidding me.....how dare you belittle the great man:eek:, I like Radar as an course commentator for the golf - his "Round with Radar" episodes for Ping are also great fun. All kidding aside, Butch does a pretty good analysis too, and is suprisingly unbiased against the Americans. I also think Rich Beem, David Coulthart and Nick Dougherty do a good job, but SKY can do away with Roe, Lee, Holmes and McGinley.

I don't think it's a bad thing having coverage on the BEEB as well as SKY, neither is perfect but it offers choice to the viewer. You can take your pick on the one that annoys you the least.

Radar is a complete waste of space for me. A rare talent for stating the "bleeding obvious" and apparently if the wind speed should get to 5 mph it's both strong and a "massive factor".

Butch last offered an original insight about five years ago and is rapidly becoming Sky's equivalent to Alliss.

If only we could combine the best of the two teams and consign the rest to the Trilby Tour.

rksquire

Head Pro
Visit site
Genuinely great that there'll be live coverage on the BBC.

However, I'll be watching Sky coverage. As I will this evening, and practically every other weekend of the year, so why change? It's great that the BBC are presenting an option for other non-regular golf watchers who ordinarily would not watch Sky Golf. I think Barbour is brilliant though as a an anchor, but Sky will have Butch, Radar, conversations with Claude Harman, and overall a better team.

rksquire

Head Pro
Visit site
Radar is a complete waste of space for me. A rare talent for stating the "bleeding obvious" and apparently if the wind speed should get to 5 mph it's both strong and a "massive factor".

Butch last offered an original insight about five years ago and is rapidly becoming Sky's equivalent to Alliss.

If only we could combine the best of the two teams and consign the rest to the Trilby Tour.

Ah yes, but he is brilliantly likable (IMO) and has access to a lot of players within his stable; plus there's also access to his son who is exceptional value and insightful.

Scozzy

Medal Winner
Visit site
I'll be in the mancave,now TV week pass from Wednesday pm fridge full and putting mat out for adbreak comps with the boys, agree Roe is dreadful but it's the masters! It's spring and the season really starts so I'm just happy it's that time of year! Sort of hoping Rory snags it just to get GS chat out if the way .Back to topic the beeb ,save for Ken on the course have lost it

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site

I have to disagree regarding both Radar and Butch. Radar is no different to the BBC's on course offering other than he seems far more happy to, and perhaps licence to, describe it in any way he sees it and when the shot doesn't come off will describe what happened in a unique and (to me) funny way. Similarly Harmon offers some great insights to the technical aspects and also gives a small insight to what the players he and his son coach are working on. I find I could listen to Harmon talk about golf with ease.

I will agree that the likes of Roe and in the studio Holmes do nothing to enhance the presentation and both should definitely go. I'd also ditch McGinley but that aside I simply feel that the Sky offers a more varied, viewer friendly broadcast than the BBC version

D

Deleted member 18588

Ah yes, but he is brilliantly likable (IMO) and has access to a lot of players within his stable; plus there's also access to his son who is exceptional value and insightful.

Except Butch hardly has a "stable" any longer and his son seems scared to criticise, particularly any of his clients.

rksquire

Head Pro
Visit site
Except Butch hardly has a "stable" any longer and his son seems scared to criticise, particularly any of his clients.

Golf Monthly thinks it's an "incredible stable": https://www.golf-monthly.co.uk/ryder-cup/ryder-cup-blog/who-does-butch-harmon-coach-154048

But I accept Claude seems reluctant to criticise (hand that feeds the mouth etc.) but I still find it interesting to listen to him; I have heard Butch criticise DJ & Rick in commentary, particularly with shot selection and sometimes execution.