Masters on the Beeb

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 18588

Golf Monthly thinks it's an "incredible stable": https://www.golf-monthly.co.uk/ryder-cup/ryder-cup-blog/who-does-butch-harmon-coach-154048

But I accept Claude seems reluctant to criticise (hand that feeds the mouth etc.) but I still find it interesting to listen to him; I have heard Butch criticise DJ & Rick in commentary, particularly with shot selection and sometimes execution.

For Butch most of those listed are no longer coached by him as I believe that, due to his age, he has significantly cut back on his commitments.

Perhaps, like Alliss, his time has passed.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
For Butch most of those listed are no longer coached by him as I believe that, due to his age, he has significantly cut back on his commitments.

Perhaps, like Alliss, his time has passed.
I would agree that as a coach, his time may be passing but the fact he is such a good coach makes him really insightful to a players swing and he explains it in a way the armchair viewer can see and understand. For me and for the enthusiasm he brings he's really good to have. I can understand Claude not necessarily biting the hand that feeds and so feel perhaps he's not good to have at this time unless he's prepared to be more critical and honest about a player. I think the issue with Alliss was he was a former player but as time has passed he's got less and less involvement with the current crop and so has far less insight into what's going on and this has made his delivery. content and style outdated in the modern era. In his day he was every bit as good as other commentators in their field but I think he's about 10 years too long in post

TheDiablo

Challenge Tour Pro
Banned
Visit site
Doubt Zinger will be on the BBC commentary this year, he's just got the job to replace Jonny Miller on NBC.

He might do, NBC don't have any rights at Masters I don't think.

Gone off him recently, started believing a bit too much hype about how good he was.
Hi
Out of interest which ones wont be involved in Sky's Masters coverage?

Murray is the main guy, Lee seems to be used far more for US events these days, Roe has recently been in the US commentating for them and from memory, was part of their Masters team last year (in studio doing features on specific greens etc).

Appreciate DL may not be the link man this year.

Cheers

Rich

Livingstone retired last year, Roe and Lee have been bumped off the majors for the last couple of years now, doing a highlight show in the studio in UK instead.

D

Deleted member 15344

He might do, NBC don't have any rights at Masters I don't think.

Gone off him recently, started believing a bit too much hype about how good he was.

Livingstone retired last year, Roe and Lee have been bumped off the majors for the last couple of years now, doing a highlight show in the studio in UK instead.

Haven’t heard Azinger since the Masters last year so would be a shame if he has got poor as really enjoyed his commentary

As for the Sky team it will be Dougherty hosting who is good , the normal Murray / Critchley in the box then Harmon and prob one more in the Studio

I actually prefer Claude Harmon these days over Butch - Butch is getting a bit like Allis but Butch does at least try and be impartial . Hopefully Sky bring in Laura Davies who is superb imo