Masters on the Beeb

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

sam85

Head Pro
Visit site
Only good news having it on terrestrial telly??????????????? If there was that much demand or the likes of BBC or anyone else were the remotely bit interested they could go out and provide more. They have no real interest in it and this and their Open coverage is really nothing more than lip service to the licence payer. Sky do golf so much better and thinks like the Masters and Open breakfast shows provide great analysis on the previous days action. I enjoy the likes or Rich Beem and Butch Harmon and they tend to tell it as it is regardless of the player. Yes there are the likes of Roe (who hopefully won't be anywhere near any of it) and McGinley who simply isn't cut out for a studio role but give me those over Cotter, Ken Brown and his daft on course antics and in particular Alliss.

Of course it's only good news. It's now available for all the people who don't have Sky to watch for free. Those with sky still have the freedom to watch on either channel so there's no negatives to it whatsoever for golf fans.

If I didn't know any better I'd suggest you were just disagreeing with a certain poster for the sake of it 🤔

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Of course it's only good news. It's now available for all the people who don't have Sky to watch for free. Those with sky still have the freedom to watch on either channel so there's no negatives to it whatsoever for golf fans.

If I didn't know any better I'd suggest you were just disagreeing with a certain poster for the sake of it 🤔
Not at all although I find it amusing that when the Masters and Open are the BBC it's heralded as some sort or broadcasting marvel. They and the other terrestrial broadcasters don't care about golf and if/when the time comes for them to consider renewing their options to screen I doubt they'll take it up. Given the lack of coverage on terrestrial TV I would go further and suggest that most golf fans wanting to watch any regular golf TV and not wanting to use Sky/Virgin etc would opt for a NOW TV or similar. Again, while I applaud Sky for what it does in giving the opportunity to watch most events from the majority of tours, I doubt it will have any influence on people wanting to take up the game. Even when it's on the BBC, these arguments about attracting new people to the game are no different to the public tennis courts in local parks being packed while Wimbledon is on and then going back to standing empty. To grow the game, it'll take more than lip service from the BBC and dedicated Sky channel, but a concerted efforts by clubs to get people aware that clubs are there and it isn't as hard to get into golf as many I expect still perceive it to be

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
Well I enjoy the BBC commentary, it’s a bit more no thrills and it’s just about the golf - yep Allis prob should retire but the rest of the crew are really good - Azinger especially was really good.

This is only good news having golf on terrestrial telly

Doubt Zinger will be on the BBC commentary this year, he's just got the job to replace Jonny Miller on NBC.

dronfield

Visit site
Thurs / Fri Sky for me, then switch to BBC for weekend coverage.

By Fri night i will have heard enough from Livvo, Roe, Murray, Lee et al telling my how close Woods is to being back to his best.

Rich

TheDiablo

Challenge Tour Pro
Banned
Visit site
Thurs / Fri Sky for me, then switch to BBC for weekend coverage.

By Fri night i will have heard enough from Livvo, Roe, Murray, Lee et al telling my how close Woods is to being back to his best.

Rich

3 of those 4 won't be part of Sky's masters coverage

Pin-seeker

Visit site
I can’t believe how much people wet themselves when ever golf is on the Beeb.
How great it will be to get new people into the game.
Will it really tho?

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
Not at all although I find it amusing that when the Masters and Open are the BBC it's heralded as some sort or broadcasting marvel. They and the other terrestrial broadcasters don't care about golf and if/when the time comes for them to consider renewing their options to screen I doubt they'll take it up.
Of course the BBC care about golf. If they didn't, they wouldn't bother showing it at all. The problem is they simply cannot afford to compete with Sky when buying the rights.
One can only conclude that for some reason the owners of the rights to the Masters are enlightened enough to realise that offering an affordable deal to a terrestrial broadcaster is the honourable thing to do.

Sky's immense purchasing power is what has pushed most sports off terrestrial TV. And they only have that power because there are people prepared to pay silly money to watch.
I personally find it outrageous that Sky sports charges about £30 a month and then they have the nerve to show adverts as well!

And of course it's because Sky (and other pay-TV broadcasters) have this staggering purchasing power that there is now an obscene amount of money sloshing around pro sports.
There's something seriously wrong with the world when guys who happen to be able to kick/throw/etc a ball around get paid more in a week than nurses/teachers/policemen/etc get in a year.

D

Deleted member 18588

I'll buck the trend - love Peter Alliss. Absolute genius.

As recently as five years ago I would have agreed with you 100%. His knowledgeable yet, at times, irreverent and whimsical style of commentary was a delight.

Sadly it now seems rather dated and his lack of contact with the modern tournament game shows in many of his remarks.

dronfield

Visit site
3 of those 4 won't be part of Sky's masters coverage

Hi
Out of interest which ones wont be involved in Sky's Masters coverage?

Murray is the main guy, Lee seems to be used far more for US events these days, Roe has recently been in the US commentating for them and from memory, was part of their Masters team last year (in studio doing features on specific greens etc).

Appreciate DL may not be the link man this year.

Cheers

Rich

D

Deleted member 16999

Of course the BBC care about golf. If they didn't, they wouldn't bother showing it at all. The problem is they simply cannot afford to compete with Sky when buying the rights.
One can only conclude that for some reason the owners of the rights to the Masters are enlightened enough to realise that offering an affordable deal to a terrestrial broadcaster is the honourable thing to do.

Sky's immense purchasing power is what has pushed most sports off terrestrial TV. And they only have that power because there are people prepared to pay silly money to watch.
I personally find it outrageous that Sky sports charges about £30 a month and then they have the nerve to show adverts as well!

And of course it's because Sky (and other pay-TV broadcasters) have this staggering purchasing power that there is now an obscene amount of money sloshing around pro sports.
There's something seriously wrong with the world when guys who happen to be able to kick/throw/etc a ball around get paid more in a week than nurses/teachers/policemen/etc get in a year.
I agree it’s great for the BBC to show the Golf, but a lot of the purchasing power of Sky comes from advert revenue, maybe if the BBC went down that road they could start to compete, sad fact is you can’t have it both ways, also the stream the BBC will use will come with advertising breaks, and the BBC will fill it with discussion.

You won’t get an uninterrupted stream on any TV channel.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
As recently as five years ago I would have agreed with you 100%. His knowledgeable yet, at times, irreverent and whimsical style of commentary was a delight.

Sadly it now seems rather dated and his lack of contact with the modern tournament game shows in many of his remarks.
Spot on here. Aliss used to be great, but he is very much over the hill now and out of touch sadly. Ken Brown does nothing to redress that balance either.

dronfield

Visit site
Spot on here. Aliss used to be great, but he is very much over the hill now and out of touch sadly. Ken Brown does nothing to redress that balance either.

I used to enjoy it when the BBC had Wayne Grady as part of their team - he gave honest opinions, rather than being frightened of potentially upsetting someone.

Recall after one of Tiger's standard hard work post round interviews, WG saying "its like pulling teeth at times". Merely stating what viewers will have been thinking, but can you imagine anyone on Sky saying that?!

Rich

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site

Wait 5 years and the winners cheque for one tournament will be 5 million.
I remember the first horse race for 1 million,I’m not in touch with racing no more but the richest race in the world is 10 million or more.

User 105

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'll be watching Sky all the way. Much prefer their coverage. They don't take themselves too seriously and the banter between Murray, Radar and Beemer makes it for me.

BBC, just too stuffy and out of date for me. I just can't listen to the likes of Allis and Brown. Just puts me to sleep.

That being said it's a good thing for those who don't have Sky, so at least they can watch something.

D

Deleted member 15344

Christ didn’t realise the BBC putting live sport on would create so much of an issue ?!

The viewing figures for the Masters on sky doesn’t really reach 1 mil , when the BBC show the Masters they peak around 2.5 mil - there was a graph a couple years back that showed the figures between the BBC and Sky and it showed how people stopped watching on Sky and then watched it on the BBC - people complain that there isn’t golf or indeed much sport on terrestrial telly but then when BBC put some golf on they are then criticised?!?

This gives a lot of people the chance to watch live golf - that can only be a good thing.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Christ didn’t realise the BBC putting live sport on would create so much of an issue ?!

The viewing figures for the Masters on sky doesn’t really reach 1 mil , when the BBC show the Masters they peak around 2.5 mil - there was a graph a couple years back that showed the figures between the BBC and Sky and it showed how people stopped watching on Sky and then watched it on the BBC - people complain that there isn’t golf or indeed much sport on terrestrial telly but then when BBC put some golf on they are then criticised?!?

This gives a lot of people the chance to watch live golf - that can only be a good thing.

^^^^^

This with bells on it.