Masters Magic Moments

benny

Head Pro
Visit site
I have a qtr of an hour left at work and I'm desperately trying to run that clock down. Havent got a thing done today, got Georgia on my mind.

What are everyones favourite Masters Magic Moments? The things that you remember from the Masters you've watched live on telly - no cheating, it has be something you watched live on telly and its stayed with you - be it an unbelievable shot, a heartbreaking collapse, a funny moment or a sad scene - what are your top 5.
My top 5 is:

1) 1996 - Faldo's 2 iron screaming home onto the green and me taking a big gulp as it stopped. As a young Greg Norman fan desperate to see him succeed it was at this point that I got the very real feeling that this might be the biggest collapse in Masters history about to happen.
2) 1997 - Tiger Punching the air on the 18th on the Sunday when he won for the first time
3) 1997 again - Tiger and Earl embracing and crying after the win...got me going too haha
4)1998 - Mark O'Meara taking about 20 minutes to get the Jacket on as it got stuck on his elbow - He and Tiger wrestling with the jacket as Hootie Johnson looked on aghast.
5)2005 - Tigers impossible chip in on 16, final round. The best commercial for Nike golf balls ever as the ball paused, on the edge, displayed the logo for 2 seconds, then dropped. 'Oh WOW! In your life have you ever seen anything like that?!'

And thats 5 oclock - home time!

Dodger

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Big Eck's wee dance when he holed at last. :)
Likewise Woosy when he punched air after putt. :)
Jack's raising of the putter at 17 (just watched it again on espn,1st Masters I can remember watching). :cool:
Olly after his win when it had looked like he may never play the game again. :D
Scott Chokes missed putt...he he! :D

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Peter Alliss commentary (any year they are all golden)

Seve winning for the first time. My sporting hero

Faldo keeping us up long after midnight to win

Sandy Lyle's arms out wide as the putt goes in

Tigers chip. Poetry in motion

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
Difficult to choose. Winners Ben Crenshaw (almost as good as Tom Kite US Open 1992). José María Olazábal....good for Olly.
Faldo (cool as ice) keeping the great white shark at bay.
on that topic....

Greg Norman at The Masters: His 8-iron into 12th green on Saturday disappeared into the azaleas. After a five-minute search, Norman walked back across Hogan's bridge and faced the same shot that he thought was good the first time.

He never flinched.

"I put my tee right next to the divot that I just hit before," he said. "I aimed to the right of the same tree. The ball went exactly the same line."

He hit the green, 22 feet from the cup, and made the putt for a great bogey.

"I never doubted I was going to make the putt," he said.

Tiger's chip.....hard to believe, now THAT was product placement.

haplesshacker

Money List Winner
mid-life-crisis-man.blogspot.co.uk
To be honest, not watched much on the telly as only recently got into the golf. However for sheer repetivness on TV it has to be Tigers chip. Doesn't matter if it was or wasn't the best moment, but it's the one most shown on TV, and therefore most likely to get voted (based on the most mentioned in any list!) ie. the voting system that the Lib Dems want but I can't remember what the 'ell it's called.

rgs

Tour Rookie
Visit site
1--Nicklaus raising his putter on the 17th in 1986.

2--Lyles bunker shot on 18 when he won.

3--Mize chip to beat Norman.

4--Faldos awful jumper when he won his 2nd Jacket.

5--Peter Alliss commentary every year.

shanker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
This is a great thread. I remember Nicklaus raising his putter on 17 in 1986 but also when they filmed him heading towards the Green Jacket ceremony with his missus. He could hardly believe it.
Let's hope we have a Masters Magic Moment this Sunday. Maybe Harrington or Rose?

Wildrover

Tour Rookie
Visit site
1. Got to be Sandy's bunker shot on 18 for me, it was just after I started playing and it was the first golf tournament I remember watching where I knew what was going on.

2. Olly's second win after his long injury absence where he thought he wouldn't even walk again. Talk about pass the tissues.

3. Woosie punching the air on 18 when he'd been barracked by the crowd all the way round.

4. Padraig's hole in one a couple of years ago on 16 in the final round.

5. Nick Faldo shooting 65 in the last round in 89 and beating Scott Ch sorry Hoch in the playoff.