Marking the grass nap to aid alignment

yandabrown

Visit site
Can I ask a related question please. When I play a shot I always stand behind my ball and look for a natural mark of some sort that will be on the line in front of my ball. On the fairways I don't think that there is a problem with this at all. My question is whether I can do the same in a bunker? I don't makes marks in the bunker to use for alignment but will look for a stone or something in front (and I do rake the bunker afterwards!). Could I be in breach as I might step on the intended line behind (even though I don't use it for my line, only I know my intention)? Should I instead just be extra careful to straddle the likely intended line so as to avoid any issues?

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
United States Golf Association - USGA
… this is
1f44c_1f3fc.png

I’m sorry to intervene on a tangent but I had to stop reading here and take my specs off for a moment to breathe deeply. The USGA using emoji in a ruling query has made me irrationally angry.

Whatever next?

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Can I ask a related question please. When I play a shot I always stand behind my ball and look for a natural mark of some sort that will be on the line in front of my ball. On the fairways I don't think that there is a problem with this at all. My question is whether I can do the same in a bunker? I don't makes marks in the bunker to use for alignment but will look for a stone or something in front (and I do rake the bunker afterwards!). Could I be in breach as I might step on the intended line behind (even though I don't use it for my line, only I know my intention)? Should I instead just be extra careful to straddle the likely intended line so as to avoid any issues?
If you have not put the stone there then you are fine, it's like a daisy, tuft of grass etc being on the fairway for you use as a line. If you casually drop a stone in front of your ball in line of where you want to hit then that is dodgy.

There are times when you can over think things. This sounds like one of them. Don't worry.

salfordlad

Visit site
I’m sorry to intervene on a tangent but I had to stop reading here and take my specs off for a moment to breathe deeply. The USGA using emoji in a ruling query has made me irrationally angry.

Whatever next?
They are not all old, crusty characters sucking on a pipe. Or if they are, they are enjoying the liberating social media framework.

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
God's sake sonny Jim, calm down. I said no such thing. It was a question, one which, it seems, has generated an interesting thread. Bu*ger off of it annoys you
"Yes I thought so but I could find no mention in the rules (which mention alignment sticks, clubs etc laid on the ground) "

fitiver :censored:

yandabrown

Visit site
If you have not put the stone there then you are fine, it's like a daisy, tuft of grass etc being on the fairway for you use as a line. If you casually drop a stone in front of your ball in line of where you want to hit then that is dodgy.

There are times when you can over think things. This sounds like one of them. Don't worry.
It wasn't the stone I was worried about (I certainly never thought of putting one there - or setting it there), it was the marks that my footprints are making I thought maybe more of a concern.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
It wasn't the stone I was worried about (I certainly never thought of putting one there - or setting it there), it was the marks that my footprints are making I thought maybe more of a concern.
It's about interpretation at the end of the day. I see nothing in your description which suggests you are creating an alignment line. If you start scraping in the sand it becomes a different matter but just walking behind your ball in a normal fashion is okay.

You can become paranoid at times if you take rules to the nth degree. Carry on as you are ?

Pants

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
"If you want to speculate on an alternative (not too seriously mind you), how about the prohibited action in 4.3a?

Using equipment (including a club or a ball) in an abnormal way in making a stroke. “Abnormal way” means a way that is fundamentally different than its intended use and is not normally recognized as part of playing the game."

Sorry to go off on a tangent but I don't think it warrents it's own thread ...

There are times, for instance where tight up against a tree, where it's impossible to play a normal right handed shot. I've seen many in this position flip the club 180 degrees so the face is toe down and play left handed. Instead of doing that, is it permissable to just play the shot left handed using the back of the club i.e. the "cavity" side. Direction control would of course be more unpredictable but it's a far easier shot to make.

TIA

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
"If you want to speculate on an alternative (not too seriously mind you), how about the prohibited action in 4.3a?

Using equipment (including a club or a ball) in an abnormal way in making a stroke. “Abnormal way” means a way that is fundamentally different than its intended use and is not normally recognized as part of playing the game."

Sorry to go off on a tangent but I don't think it warrents it's own thread ...

There are times, for instance where tight up against a tree, where it's impossible to play a normal right handed shot. I've seen many in this position flip the club 180 degrees so the face is toe down and play left handed. Instead of doing that, is it permissable to just play the shot left handed using the back of the club i.e. the "cavity" side. Direction control would of course be more unpredictable but it's a far easier shot to make.

TIA

Yes you can you use the club reversed with the back of the head striking the ball.

rulie

Head Pro
Visit site
Thanks Jim. (y)
Confirmed by Rule 10.1a Fairly Striking the Ball: The player must fairly strike at the ball with the head of the club such that there is only momentary contact between the club and the ball and must not push, scrape or scoop the ball.
(my emphasis added)

Pants

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Confirmed by Rule 10.1a Fairly Striking the Ball: The player must fairly strike at the ball with the head of the club such that there is only momentary contact between the club and the ball and must not push, scrape or scoop the ball.
(my emphasis added)
(y) :)

Steven Rules

Visit site
(my emphasis added)

And reinforced by Interpretation 10.1a/2:

10.1a/2
Player May Use Any Part of Clubhead to Fairly Strike Ball
In fairly striking a ball, any part of the clubhead may be used, including the toe, heel and back of the clubhead.