Marking the grass nap to aid alignment

tobybarker

Visit site
The other morning I was out very early on my own. To check my alignment I drew a 'line' in the grass with my club to help me line up a shot. The line was where my toes go in the stance rather than where the club head was. Was I in breach of any rules?

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
The other morning I was out very early on my own. To check my alignment I drew a 'line' in the grass with my club to help me line up a shot. The line was where my toes go in the stance rather than where the club head was. Was I in breach of any rules?
don't be silly. Since when has solo practice been played to any rules? :rolleyes:

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
For future reference if you want play by the rules IMO yes.

You are not allowed to place anything on the ground to assist you with alignment and by that token I would assume it would include drawing a line.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
for reference
Rule 10.2 b3

(3) No Setting Down Object to Help in Taking Stance. A player must not take a stance for the stroke using any object that was set down by or for the player to help in lining up his or her feet or body, such as a club set down on the ground to show the line of play.
If the player takes a stance in breach of this Rule, he or she cannot avoid penalty by backing away from the stance and removing the object.

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
Yes. 10

You're not being silly wanting to know if there is a rule preventing you from doing this although it's fine when you're out for a practice on your own.
In terms of the Rules, you are not allowed to make a mark like that to help with your alignment.

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
There are times in this sport when you don’t really need to dig the rule book out. Sometimes something just sounds so wrong that it simply has to be in breach of the rules and, if not, it would be dealt with as a serious breach of etiquette.

This is surely one of those times.

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
10.2b(3), as referenced above.

A player must not take a stance for the stroke using any object that was set down by or for the player to help in lining up his or her feet or body, such as a club set down on the ground to show the line of play.

Ask yourself how you made the line in the grass. You set your club down so as to make a mark in the grass to help with your alignment.

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
Nothing stopping you drawing an imaginary line in your head, but that might not be much use to you.

Better might be to aim over a particular daisy, weed or an old broken tee that is already there, obviously can’t put one there ?

tobybarker

Visit site
I didn't lay down anything... I just used my club to create a temporary on the grass nap (or dew, at it was a dewy morning)

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Similarly, my understanding is that I must not place such as a loose leaf onto the ground so as to help with my club face alignment. I look for something/anything on the ground ahead of my ball that I can use to align my club face, but sometimes there is nothing suitable I can use and it would be dead handy if I could move - such as - a leaf into position for that purpose. But I can’t. Such a tiny - yet quite important - thing.

tobybarker

Visit site
Similarly, my understanding is that I must not place such as a loose leaf onto the ground so as to help with my club face alignment. I look for something/anything on the ground ahead of my ball that I can use to align my club face, but sometimes there is nothing suitable I can use and it would be dead handy if I could move - such as - a leaf into position for that purpose. But I can’t. Such a tiny - yet quite important - thing.
Quite.... You can't put anything down to help..... But making a line in the grass without changing your stance or lie? No obvious rule mention