Marking a ball on a slope

Dellboy

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Hi

Played at a nearby course last week which has a 3 tier green.

Now the group behind us hit onto the green while were waiting to tee off on the next hole, one of the balls plugged on one of the slopes, the chap marked his ball, repaired the green but every time he tired to replace his ball it rolled down the slope towards the hole, he must of tired about 10-12 times before he lost his rag :eek: and picked up and gave the hole to his mate.

Now had the ball rolled away from the hole then I would say he plays it from there but as it moved to the hole what should he have done, there was no way of stopping the ball from rolling. :confused:

It didnt matter to much as he was 6 holes up and this is the 8th hole, but did get use thinking over a beer or two.

Cheers

Delboy

CliveW

Tour Winner
Visit site
Rule 20.d Ball Fails to Come to Rest on Spot.
If a ball when placed fails to come to rest on the spot on which it was placed, there is no penalty and the ball must be replaced. If it still fails to come to rest on that spot:

(i) exsept in a hazard, it must be placed at the nearest spot where it can be placed at rest that is not nearer the hole and not in a hazard.

MashieNiblick

Tour Winner
Visit site
Rule 20-3 - Placing and Replacing

"d. Ball Fails to Come to Rest on Spot
If a ball when placed fails to come to rest on the spot on which it was placed, there is no penalty and the ball must be replaced. If it still fails to come to rest on that spot:
(i) except in a hazard, it must be placed at the nearest spot where it can be placed at rest that is not nearer the hole and not in a hazard;
(ii) in a hazard, it must be placed in the hazard at the nearest spot where it can be placed at rest that is not nearer the hole.

If a ball when placed comes to rest on the spot on which it is placed, and it subsequently moves, there is no penalty and the ball must be played as it lies, unless the provisions of any other Rule apply."

Can't explain it better than that.

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Rule 20.d Ball Fails to Come to Rest on Spot.

(i) exsept in a hazard, it must be placed at the nearest spot where it can be placed at rest that is not nearer the hole and not in a hazard.

Thats useful to know.

What if he put some pressure on the ball when placing it back on the green and it then stayed there for a few seconds so the ball is at rest and in play, then it moved again as the soil 'sprang' back, I assume then he could play it from its new- nearer the hole- resting place under no penalty?

Unlikely scenario but just wondering

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
Not permitted to press the ball down - that would be altering its lie with the intention of influencing its movement which is a breach of Rule 1-2. See Decision 1-2/9 which specifically deals with this.

Dellboy

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Thanks for the replys, so if I'm reading the rules right he should have just gone back away from the hole until he found the flat part of the green, which would have helped him, as he would have had a better line in.

Must remember that rule, many thanks

Dellboy

CliveW

Tour Winner
Visit site
Thanks for the replys, so if I'm reading the rules right he should have just gone back away from the hole until he found the flat part of the green, which would have helped him, as he would have had a better line in.

Must remember that rule, many thanks

Dellboy

Not necessarily back away from the hole. You could move the ball to either side as long as it is the nearest point at which it can be placed at rest that is not nearer the hole and not in a hazard. So by moving the ball backwards it might not be the nearest point.