Market research_Bespoke golfer

Mayris1

Visit site
Hi, I am just looking for a bit of advice.

I am a product designer by trade, and there are two things I love in life creating things and golf!

THE IDEA

Bespoke golder is a stylish modern brand that will produce handmade, very high quality golf accessories that will last for life, made right here in England.

I have started to produce some hand crafted leather score cards holders, and would like to move on to belts, shoe bags, towels and much more. It will be a mix of natural colours (such as the tanned leather) and much more bold playful colours.

I am really looking to see if this is something which would be of interest to anyone, who like me is sick of cheap, unreliable manufacturing.

Any feedback even negative is much appreciated.

Please find attached some of the concepts.

Thanks

Attachments

• BESPOKE GOLFER 2.JPG
    BESPOKE GOLFER 2.JPG
    33.2 KB · Views: 132
  • BESPOKE GOLFER.JPG
    BESPOKE GOLFER.JPG
    32.6 KB · Views: 110
  • BESGOLF.jpg
    BESGOLF.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 121
  • 12837727_10156768543670651_2042506537_o.jpg
    12837727_10156768543670651_2042506537_o.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 125
  • 12837530_10156768543565651_572308293_o.jpg
    12837530_10156768543565651_572308293_o.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 125
  • 12422292_10156768544810651_736959188_o.jpg
    12422292_10156768544810651_736959188_o.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 92
  • 12528569_10156768543045651_2053599708_o.jpg
    12528569_10156768543045651_2053599708_o.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 106
  • 12837300_10156768543070651_1563832520_o.jpg
    12837300_10156768543070651_1563832520_o.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 90
  • 12837719_10156768532490651_193129329_o.jpg
    12837719_10156768532490651_193129329_o.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 103

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
They look good but personally I would prefer a scorecard holder to be a bit more 'solid' than they look. They look a bit flimsy and may not be supportive enough when you write on the scorecard. Might suggest some supporting material in them?

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Those aren't the sort of products that I'd be wanting to spend much on. I don't use a score card holder as I find them generally too bulky in the back pocket. I'm happy to spend on the golf items that I need though - clubs, clothes, laser etc

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Score card holders are a bit "meh". Sort of thing you get given for Christmas when you first start playing by well intentioned family members, you use them maybe once or twice but then don't bother.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
card holders are popular in pro-shops and as gift items so clearly there's a market for sales but I generally don't see people using them during a round so as Smiffy says its probably one of those things you get as a gift & rarely use or buy as a souvenir of a course you visit (so needs to have that course's logo etc on it not yours)

I always grab something from the pro-shop whenever I score over 36 points at a course (ball marker, pitch repair tool etc) and depending on price this type of product might fall in that category. Being bespoke your range would probably fall outwith an impulse buy price range

Probably just a pre-production item or sample but the stitching on pic 4 is pretty ropey for something that's supposed to be a high quality hand made item

virtuocity

Tour Winner
Visit site
Pretty much what has been said. Looks like a sturdy, nice product, but ultimately one I'd never buy.

Scorecards get held in my GoKart or back pocket.

D

Deleted member 18121

I personally use a scorecard holder all the time...it hangs from my bag in the exact style you've designed above, but is a slightly less stylish black "leather" (read - probably plastic).

The only thing I'd say is that the stitching on your example(s) above is absolutely shocking and I wouldn't be happy to have paid for something that looks like that.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
most of the more expensive clubs up here sell SC holders and bespoke belts etc, are all high end, TBH i don't know anyone that uses one.

you would need to be offering something different to whats on offer at the moment.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Lads these are prototypes. Don't worry about the stitching. Lol

I always use a score card holder. Mighty handy. Haven't got around to splashing on an expensive one.

Again it will be up to you how well you design these to compete in a crowded marketplace.

What price range were you thinking of?

D

Deleted member 18121

Lads these are prototypes. Don't worry about the stitching. Lol

Sorry but the OP was mentioning "handmade, very high quality", "hand crafted leather score cards holders", "who like me is sick of cheap, unreliable manufacturing".

If you're making statements like this then I'd expect the product (prototype or not) to at least backup what you say about it.

ruff-driver

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I think in an already busy market you may need something 'different'
Now it may exist but i've not seen one
so how about a three page holder, one part take the scorecard, the other could be used for a strokesaver, or saddo's like me, my yardage cards.
I'd be happy to test any prototype and review them for you ;)
This is the idea,

41GZ2Uc9wwL._SX342_.jpg

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
One thing I would add is that over the last 30 years golf has moved away from natural materials (remember the good old leather golf bag straps that cracked and snapped at the most inopportune time? etc). Hanging one of these on your bag would look a little out of place. As your images show, maybe non brown/traditional colours would work best?

Three

Tour Rookie
Visit site

I am a product designer by trade, and there are two things I love in life creating things and golf!

THE IDEA

Bespoke golder is a stylish modern brand that will produce handmade, very high quality golf accessories that will last for life, made right here in England.

I have started to produce some hand crafted leather score cards holders, and would like to move on to belts, shoe bags, towels and much more. It will be a mix of natural colours (such as the tanned leather) and much more bold playful colours.

I am really looking to see if this is something which would be of interest to anyone, who like me is sick of cheap, unreliable manufacturing.

Thanks

Save your time and money.
It's all been done a zillion times.

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site

THE IDEA

Thanks

Personally I would not spend a huge amount of money of accessories as any disposable income I have for golf will go on clubs, balls or gadgets. And membership fees I imagine for members of clubs.

I never use a score card holder as there is one on my trolley or I use the facility on my skycaddie when I'm playing a bounce game. There probably is a gap in the market for top end accessories like towels and score card holders, but I'd argue there is a reason there is a gap. As for belts then I just do not get the high price of golf belts when you can get a decent leather one from Tesco's for 15 quid. But may be I'm a bit cheap.

I'd say there is a niche market there but not sure it would sustain a business. Maybe on overseas market would be the main one if you can get the branding right, target rich Americans of Japanese who are possibly more likely to buy these type of things? Not sure how many average club members in the UK could afford them. Also if you are selling them on the fact that they will last a lifetime then you need to be ready to honour that.

Mayris1

Visit site
Thanks for the feedback, It is very interesting. There looks to be a potential market for accessories but maybe more innovative products. I think that maybe the hand crafted traditional products maybe a very small market, as many of you said 'it's has been done over and over'.

I really do like the idea of the use of bolder colours, in keeping with current trends, so I will look into exploring this more.

Once again thanks for the feedback.

Cheers

D

Deleted Member 1156

I use a nice leather scorecard holder, I think it is quite a classy item. If you get the price/quality balance right I think there is a market.

But the issue you have is that golf has been around for 100+ years so it is difficult to come up with anything new. If you are going to succeed, you need to look at accessories for 'newer' items such as lasers, GPS devices etc. Everything else has been done to death. Possibly nice leather laser pouches? Just an idea.

Good luck :thup:

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I use a nice leather scorecard holder, I think it is quite a classy item. If you get the price/quality balance right I think there is a market.

But the issue you have is that golf has been around for 100+ years so it is difficult to come up with anything new. If you are going to succeed, you need to look at accessories for 'newer' items such as lasers, GPS devices etc. Everything else has been done to death. Possibly nice leather laser pouches? Just an idea.

Good luck :thup:

Yep, thats the sort of thing