Mark crossfield

NorwichBanana

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Pretty sure I saw on twitter it was 2k!

now if Mark backs himself to be this new superstar coach, maybe he should have added the caviat that it was refundable if noticeable improvements weren’t seen......

Indeed it was £2k.

This is from Twitter "So I want to go on a journey with 5 people this season. It costs £2000 and you will feature in daily vlogs and a course Vlog. So full assessment and you will need to get to Devon for at least one 2 hour session."

Coffey

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Some people have too much money! That would buy me 100 lessons with my local pro.

I enjoy Mark's videos and do watch them a lot and find he talks a lot of sense but I think 2k is incredibly expensive considering he has not coached any top players and is literally known through YouTube. Each to their own I guess.

Mark1751

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Like the idea of this and have enjoyed what I have seen on YouTube. I didn’t realise that they were paying for it, I thought it was something to do with his titleist deal.

Would I pay £2k to do it probably not but this will be a decent way of seeing if he can really improve his students golfing ability and if he does they it could be a worth while investment.

thesheriff

Head Pro
Visit site
Any fellow cynics out there assuming that they will drastically improve, but more due to the fact being on 'the journey' will encourage them to practice more, rather than receiving coaching from Crossfield?

If I'd paid £2k, I'd be practicing non stop to get cut and get my money's worth.

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site
Any fellow cynics out there assuming that they will drastically improve, but more due to the fact being on 'the journey' will encourage them to practice more, rather than receiving coaching from Crossfield?

If I'd paid £2k, I'd be practicing non stop to get cut and get my money's worth.

But surely just practising bad habits will not make you better. He constantly says in his videos that lessons will do very little on their own and the student needs to practice. You need the right mind set to get better which involves quality practice, so if they get that from this then he's succeeded. I can't see how you can separate lessons from practice and assign the improvement to one of them.

Marshy77

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

I agree.

Surely you'd be better paying £1000 on lesson's and £1000 on a year's club membership if you want value for money?? Even if lesson's are £50 each you'd get 20 lesson's 2 or more a month over a year - I'd guess you'd see as much change in that than with Crossfield?

Hacker Khan

Visit site
I agree.

Surely you'd be better paying £1000 on lesson's and £1000 on a year's club membership if you want value for money?? Even if lesson's are £50 each you'd get 20 lesson's 2 or more a month over a year - I'd guess you'd see as much change in that than with Crossfield?

I'm not sure people who will willingly pay 2 gees for this are desperate to get the most value for money out of this. May be they are doing it as life is short, they like the cut of his coaching gib, they know he has all the modern launch monitors and other modern stuff, they would quite like to meet Crossfield and get some exposure on YouTube and they think it will be a lot more fun then lessons from some anonymous local pro. Put yourself in the position so you can regret the things you did do, not the things you didn't....

Marshy77

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'm not sure people who will willingly pay 2 gees for this are desperate to get the most value for money out of this. May be they are doing it as life is short, they like the cut of his coaching gib, they know he has all the modern launch monitors and other modern stuff, they would quite like to meet Crossfield and get some exposure on YouTube and they think it will be a lot more fun then lessons from some anonymous local pro. Put yourself in the position so you can regret the things you did do, not the things you didn't....

Yes true, maybe they want to be the next YouTube star/social media/vlogger.

big_matt

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I was astonished it was £2k. From the video it looked like 6 2hour lessons, 9 holes, a course vlog and online support for the duration.

Given that its making him money when people watch the lessons on youtube it seems an incredible price.

Thats 20 1hour lessons with my pro, a round on the old course, a brand new driver,vand an 18 hole golf lesson.

Hacker Khan

Visit site
I was astonished it was £2k. From the video it looked like 6 2hour lessons, 9 holes, a course vlog and online support for the duration.

Given that its making him money when people watch the lessons on youtube it seems an incredible price.

Thats 20 1hour lessons with my pro, a round on the old course, a brand new driver,vand an 18 hole golf lesson.

You could also argue that over the years he has put an extraordinary amount of golf tuition, course logs and other content on his channel for free. So why not charge 2 gees if people are willing to pay? No one is forcing them to pay it, I'm making an assumption that the participants are not on the bread line and their families are going without food so they can afford this and his bills got to be paid.

Coffey

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
You could also argue that over the years he has put an extraordinary amount of golf tuition, course logs and other content on his channel for free. So why not charge 2 gees if people are willing to pay? No one is forcing them to pay it, I'm making an assumption that the participants are not on the bread line and their families are going without food so they can afford this and his bills got to be paid.

Of course it is their money and they can do what they want with it.

When I first watched the video I thought it was free for the 5 people and it was done as a challenge to see how many shots they could drop. Especially because he is sharing the content and making £££ from that. Obviously they have made the choice to spend that money and fair play to them if that is what they want.

In my opinion, even if I had the money, I would not choose to spend that amount of money with a coach who has not actually coached any top players.

We will see in 6 months if it is worth it for them or not.

I will still be watching to see how they get on and hope they manage to drop a good few shots.

big_matt

Assistant Pro
Visit site

He doesnt put his content on for free - thats how he makes his living (same as the other youtubers). I agree though, if people have the money then they can do what they want with it. When i saw it i suppise i assumed it would be £800 or so which is still making more than he would with standard lessons of that duration.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I do course management lessons for 18+ handicaps at a very reasonable rate of £1000 for a whole weeks course. Free digs and food.

PM me for details. Handicap cuts guaranteed. :cool:

Heck I will even put it on YouTube if you want. Why not. :rofl:

Hacker Khan

Visit site
He doesnt put his content on for free - thats how he makes his living (same as the other youtubers). I agree though, if people have the money then they can do what they want with it. When i saw it i suppise i assumed it would be £800 or so which is still making more than he would with standard lessons of that duration.

It is still free to the end consumer. Plus you may be overestimating how much the average you tuber gets paid. This article states that most YouTubers get $1.5 per 1000 views. https://www.techadvisor.co.uk/feature/internet/how-much-do-youtubers-make-3662986/

Looking at his channel, a standard course log is getting 30 to 40 thousand views, which in my maths works out at 60 dollars per video. Yes he probably does not pay for any of his trips and golf equipment, plus he may well be getting paid by brands to use their equipment, but he isn't in the big league for youtubers and probably isn't bringing in a huge wedge by any means, especially once you take into account the cost of the equipment and the time he must spend editing them. All he is doing with these lessons is monitising his exposure

Hacker Khan

Visit site
Of course it is their money and they can do what they want with it.

When I first watched the video I thought it was free for the 5 people and it was done as a challenge to see how many shots they could drop. Especially because he is sharing the content and making £££ from that. Obviously they have made the choice to spend that money and fair play to them if that is what they want.

In my opinion, even if I had the money, I would not choose to spend that amount of money with a coach who has not actually coached any top players.

We will see in 6 months if it is worth it for them or not.

I will still be watching to see how they get on and hope they manage to drop a good few shots.

I really do not get the obsession of amateurs with coaches who have coached 'top players'. As surely the skills needed to take someone from 17 down to 2 are a bit different to what is needed to take an already extremely talented player and make them a very little bit better in a few areas. Not saying one is easier or harder than the other, but to me they are quite different things.

Coffey

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I really do not get the obsession of amateurs with coaches who have coached 'top players'. As surely the skills needed to take someone from 17 down to 2 are a bit different to what is needed to take an already extremely talented player and make them a very little bit better in a few areas. Not saying one is easier or harder than the other, but to me they are quite different things.

Understand, but to charge 2k for some lessons you need to have something to back it up. Either it is coaching on tour or amazing at getting people from 17 to 2 in 6 months but from what I can see is he is knowledgeable and knows his stuff but so do a lot of coaches who charge a lot lot less.

There are so many great coaches out there charging £20-30 an hour and you will get the exact same service (maybe better, who knows?), just not with the Mark Crossfield name. What has he done more than any of them (apart from YouTube) to say it is now 2k? What are you paying the extra for?

Obviously charge what people will pay and people have paid it so it seems the demand is there.

Hacker Khan

Visit site
Understand, but to charge 2k for some lessons you need to have something to back it up. Either it is coaching on tour or amazing at getting people from 17 to 2 in 6 months but from what I can see is he is knowledgeable and knows his stuff but so do a lot of coaches who charge a lot lot less.

There are so many great coaches out there charging £20-30 an hour and you will get the exact same service (maybe better, who knows?), just not with the Mark Crossfield name. What has he done more than any of them (apart from YouTube) to say it is now 2k? What are you paying the extra for?

Obviously charge what people will pay and people have paid it so it seems the demand is there.

I suspect the fact that he puts a vast amount of videos on line for all to see, analyse and dissect is enough to back him up.

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
It is still free to the end consumer. Plus you may be overestimating how much the average you tuber gets paid. This article states that most YouTubers get $1.5 per 1000 views. https://www.techadvisor.co.uk/feature/internet/how-much-do-youtubers-make-3662986/

Looking at his channel, a standard course log is getting 30 to 40 thousand views, which in my maths works out at 60 dollars per video. Yes he probably does not pay for any of his trips and golf equipment, plus he may well be getting paid by brands to use their equipment, but he isn't in the big league for youtubers and probably isn't bringing in a huge wedge by any means, especially once you take into account the cost of the equipment and the time he must spend editing them. All he is doing with these lessons is monitising his exposure

This. Youtubers used to make big money - not anymore. Ad revenue is way down on previous years and as a result channels like Marks won't be making much money at all.

Chisteve

Head Pro
Visit site
I think Mark Crossfield is a very clever chap

I was very intersted a few years back in his youtube channel - it helped me understand the golf swing, I take the visual things much better than instruction

As he became more well known I didnt like the videos Vlogs etc as far too much crap talked and not enough content AFAIC

I have watched his latest ventue and enjoyed it and good on him if peeps are prepaired to pay why not from what I understood its over 6 months - hes making a good living out of it, that's never a bad thing, these days peeps become youtube stars very quickly - thats what a lot of his content is about with fresh ideas