Mark Crossfield lesson update[if interested]

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
Hi all.
Have just returned home following my 1hr lesson with Mr Mark Crossfied the pga
from Clifton Hill golf range in Exeter[plug].
I arrived an hour early for my lesson and when I arrived Mark was in the shop with James his
assistant who sometimes features in his course blogs.
I had a good chat with Mark and thanked him for his donation of his time,and explained how I won
it in an auction for HFH.
He said he gets lots of requests for lessons and he said he never refuses which I though was nice of him.
I met him recently at Bearwood Lakes at a Luke Donald day and he remembered me as I had a good chat
with him then also.
After a free coffee and a free buckets of balls I went to warm up.
The range was very well manicured with plenty of distant markers,it was under cover and the bays were
large.
The balls themselves were good however they don't go normal ball distances.
So onto the lesson Mark asked if it was alright to film as he wanted to put it on You-tube if
it was okay.
He asked me what I wanted to work on,and if I missed the fairway what was my miss.
I wanted to work on my driving so I hit 8 balls or so,then he got me hitting a 6 iron.
When we went to the figures he said he was very happy with my results off the driver and
pointed out that working on my irons would be much more beneficial.
He had noticed that I was pushing my hands way too far forward and I was delofting the club
and I was only hitting my 6 iron with 19 degrees of loft.
He then set about getting me to understand dynamic loft and then how to add more dynamic loft to my irons.
This was because he felt that I had reached a 6 handicap and he felt I wouldn't go lower without
adding loft to my iron play.
In simple terms this was getting my irons to fly higher and land softer which would help me hold more
greens when conditions go firmer.
I usually only play up to a 7 iron but Mark felt I really needed to get a 5 and 6 in the bag.
We worked on getting the club handle back towards centre and me getting the felling of adding
loft to the club through impact.
After about 10 shots I was up to 24 degrees however the miss was then to the right of target.
The next step was obviously to straighten the shot but still keeping the dynamic loft.
This was quite easily achieved by getting the toe of the club to feel as if was overtaking the
heel at impact.
Mark seems to have an amazing knowledge of how the swing works,the gadgets give you so
much feedback of Loft,spin,flight,path etc its impossible not to see where I was going wrong.
I truly feel it was money well spent at the auction and I will definitely be returning for another lesson.
Mark is sticking it on you-tube in a couple of days or so,so you can view it and post comment if you
wish.

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site
Brilliant write up Tony , sounds like you learned alot about they way your hitting the ball , and the way you should be hitting it, sounds like Mark is realy trying to emphasise this to the student aswell . its good to learn but to be thought how to understand whats happening is better..

With your irons , is it you dont let the club sit normal at address ? and as you changed was it that you were leaving it lying back or open (for want of better terms) that has you pushing it right ?

Last edited:

Alex1975

Tour Winner
Visit site
Interesting stuff. I have probably watched every video he has done until a few weeks ago when I felt that I just could not put up with the guy any longer. Clearly he knows the golf swing but maybe the ego has got a little large and he seems to like a little dig at people now days.

What are his normal rates for a lesson out of interest? Still reasonable? Did he chat to you about what you might work on next?

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
Sounds awesome, would love a lesson with Mark! Looking forward to watching the footage, the "Live Lesson" video he put on the other day was excellent.

G1BB0

Money List Winner
Visit site
sounds awesome Tony, a great write up and I am well jel :)

glad I didnt win it as it wouldnt have been publishable on youtube. I look forward to your wonderful Hoganesque swing on my pc screen soon :thup:

el marko

Head Pro
Visit site
Interesting stuff. I have probably watched every video he has done until a few weeks ago when I felt that I just could not put up with the guy any longer. Clearly he knows the golf swing but maybe the ego has got a little large and he seems to like a little dig at people now days.

What are his normal rates for a lesson out of interest? Still reasonable? Did he chat to you about what you might work on next?

Ditto. Used to really look forward to his Vlogs but find myself skipping them nowadays

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
By coincidence, there is a 'live' lesson with a customer now up (last day or so) on the crossfield channel. I don't think it's PJoke though, as it concentrates on a driver swing.

I was thinking of putting the link up anyway, even before I saw this thread, as I wondered how many people had actually had a lesson like this. Not much talk of swing positions, lots of analysis of club head path and angles through the strike zone. Seemed to benefit the guy, but as we all know, what works in a lesson stops functioning after about 3 hole on the course...

I know he's a bit marmite, but it seems to me that with his 'teaching pro' head on, rather than course vlog chitchat, he comes across pretty well.

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
Brilliant write up Tony , sounds like you learned alot about they way your hitting the ball , and the way you should be hitting it, sounds like Mark is realy trying to emphasise this to the student aswell . its good to learn but to be thought how to understand whats happening is better..

With your irons , is it you dont let the club sit normal at address ? and as you changed was it that you were leaving it lying back or open (for want of better terms) that has you pushing it right ?

The reason it was going right after pulling the club handle back so having less forward lean,the
club then becomes a little open,just getting the feeling of the toe overtaking the heel at impact
then stops it going right of target.
Hoefully the video will explain this,howver the whole hour will be edited so I don't know exactly
what will be in it.
However the way he explains it,it really was easy to understand.

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site

I to have watched hours of his videos and course blogs and to be honest I was getting sick
of them.
However meeting him in the flesh he speaks very well and is very professional.
He charges different rates for different lessons,however the standard rate was £60 per hour which
I thought would be very reasonable especially with all the gadgets showing you the data.
We didn't talk about what we would work on next when I return,i suspect he would want to see
if ive carried out this task correctly.

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
By coincidence, there is a 'live' lesson with a customer now up (last day or so) on the crossfield channel. I don't think it's PJoke though, as it concentrates on a driver swing.

I was thinking of putting the link up anyway, even before I saw this thread, as I wondered how many people had actually had a lesson like this. Not much talk of swing positions, lots of analysis of club head path and angles through the strike zone. Seemed to benefit the guy, but as we all know, what works in a lesson stops functioning after about 3 hole on the course...

I know he's a bit marmite, but it seems to me that with his 'teaching pro' head on, rather than course vlog chitchat, he comes across pretty well.

Your spot on with your assessment.
He is totally different to his course antics,so different you think it was two different people.
I for one was mightily impressed with his set up.

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
Glad you enjoyed the lesson Tony, and I do think that MC really knows his stuff. Look forward to seeing the lesson on youtube,:mmm: I think.:D

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site
Sweet, great write up. I think he occasionally does say the same thing over and over again on the vlogs so it can get a bit samey. Much like me really. But I still watch most of them if I can find the time.

But his lessons are always good value, and I did like the live lesson thing he did the other day so looking forwards to this one. I do like the way that whilst he does use all the latest tech and monitors, he seems to keep it relatively simple and he can interpret that information really well in a simple format for most mortals to understand.

SVB

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Thanks for the write up as others have said - having a YT record will certainly help you remember the key points also so great bonus.

Out of interest, did you get a feel for how much YT is his job and how much is teaching - does he spend 50:50 or 90:10. He certainly seems to generate plenty of content and it can't be a quick process + frequent 'work(!!!)' trips etc.

S

Last edited:

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
Great write up mate. Glad you enjoyed it and found it beneficial. So you going to put the 5 & 6 irons in the bag??