Making a round qualifying...

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site
Should a week long summer league (therefore with changing flags, tees and weather conditions) be qualifying for handicap?

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Should a week long summer league (therefore with changing flags, tees and weather conditions) be qualifying for handicap?
Each day's round would have to be a separate Qualifier.

But if all players are playing in every round you may want to think about fixed handicaps for prize purposes only.

Last edited:

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Just to pull this together a little...

Basically it's an alternate day competition.

From a handicap perspective each day has a seperate CSS calculation and there's no rasons it shouldn't be Q.

The issues are for the club -
1. How do you decide your winner; if there is are CSS of +3 on one day but = SSS on all the others but the same score is achieved there is are arenrgument that the person scoring better relevant to CSS should be awarded rather than all scoring be considered equivalent. There's also the counter argument that CSS may have been a election of those chosing to play that day...☺ either way the important thing is that the club makes it crystal clear before the issue arises!

2. How do you deal with practice and selection; can players pick and choose when they are competing regardless of whether they are playing the course before then? Can they pull out when the weather looks poor but elect to play when conditions look good?

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
At my last club all the medals and Stablefords were played over Saturday and Sunday, you could choose which day to play, could elect Sunday but play Saturday as a "sighter" and it was all lumped together as 1 comp.
Queried it on several occasions as often the weather would different between days. One instance there was gloriously calm sunny weather on Saturday and cold, rainy and blowing a gale on the Sunday - I played the Sunday and would have buffered if CSS hadn't gone down due to good scores on the Saturday........

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
At my last club all the medals and Stablefords were played over Saturday and Sunday, you could choose which day to play, could elect Sunday but play Saturday as a "sighter" and it was all lumped together as 1 comp.
Queried it on several occasions as often the weather would different between days. One instance there was gloriously calm sunny weather on Saturday and cold, rainy and blowing a gale on the Sunday - I played the Sunday and would have buffered if CSS hadn't gone down due to good scores on the Saturday........

Which means, does it not, that your club was wrongly calculating a single CSS for the two days together instead of a a different one for each day?

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
I suspect its pretty common....

I suspect that it takes quite a bit of jiggery pokey. Any self-respecting handicapping software licensed by CONGU would not allow it to happen. I imagine the only way to fiddle it is to enter all the cards from more than one day using one single common date.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I suspect that it takes quite a bit of jiggery pokey. Any self-respecting handicapping software licensed by CONGU would not allow it to happen. I imagine the only way to fiddle it is to enter all the cards from more than one day using one single common date.

thats exactly how you do it, comp is set up on the date of the final day of the comp and all scores entered as if played on that day

Imurg

Visit site
Prohibited maybe, but in reality what's stopping clubs doing it.?
As Fundy says, just put all scores through on the last day of the comp..
Job done

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
It may be "prohibited" but it also works well for some clubs, so much so they dont want to change their comps to fit the rules as the comps are what their members both know and want

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Prohibited maybe, but in reality what's stopping clubs doing it.?

Honesty and their obligations to all players, whether members of their club or not.

RESPONSIBILITIES OF THE AFFILIATED CLUB

6.2 Ensure that the spirit and intent of the UHS is properly applied in the club. Failure by a club to comply
with this requirement may lead to a Union withdrawing the club’s right to act as a Handicapping
Authority or imposing such conditions as the Union considers appropriate.

6.4 Ensure that all handicaps are calculated in accordance with the UHS ......

Imurg

Visit site
I refer the Honourable Gentleman to my previous statement...
If the Members are OK with the way things are done so it doesn't get reported to the Union, what, in reality, can be done about it?