Making a full turn (Backswing)

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Most folk who have seen my swing videos on here quite often comment on how short my backswing is.

Here's a funny thing.

When my pro asks me to make a turn to the top (.... Without hitting a ball) during a lesson, I have no problem at all making a full turn and setting the club :mad:

This is something my pro has me working on right now as I'm obviously capable of making a full turn, but for some reason, I don't.

When working on it in the yard at home I have no issue at all, probably as I know I'm only turning to the top then resetting to address. Just to get the feel for where my swing should finish.

I have a sneaking feeling that when I have a ball in front of me, to actually hit, my backswing will shorten again.

Through my lesson, I asked lots of questions about the how and the why, but forgot two. So, my question(s) for the knowledgeable amongst us:

1. Why is making a full turn in the backswing turn so important?

2. Any mental tips on allowing me to complete the turn as opposed to getting to my usual position and then starting down?

Any comments are welcome as always :thup:

DISCLAIMER: I FULLY INTEND ON ASKING MY PRO THE SAME QUESTIONS WHEN I NEXT SEE HIM.

Last edited:

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I'm no swing expert so will let Bob answer on Technique, but.

I have a very short back swing, the pro Ive been working with doesn't see it as an issue, in fact he only looks at the positives, less to go wrong on the way down;)

I don't hit the ball that far but tend to be very straight.

how does that saying go?

Short and sweet;)

I

D

Deleted member 15344

Shorter the back swing - less to go wrong

Perfect for us amateurs

I have no idea how long my backswing is but been told it's a short one

Pokerjoke has a short backswing - hits the ball very well

Our scratch team captain who plays off 3 has a very bery short backswing - straight and long

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Why do you want a longer backswing?

There's a couple of reasons Bob, but the main one is that my pro is convinced it will benefit me.

During my last lesson, while working on this, I was hitting the ball noticeably higher and a little longer. Making a longer (For me) backswing, and setting the club encouraged me to turn more into my right side (Getting my left shoulder more towards my right foot) with my shoulders without swaying my hips as opposed to holding a little weight left.

How far do you hit a 7 iron ?

On a flat, calm day, probably carry around the 150 mark Bob.

I know our 4th hole is a 156 yard, par 3 which I can carry the ball on to the green with a 7 iron.

apj0524

Head Pro
Visit site
My pro asks me to rotate so my left shoulder is in line with, or inside the ball, and for me to feel like I am holding my waist back, not easy at my age but I find this helps

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
Gareth what you describe is me in a nutshell.

I can do a full swing anywhere but a golf course.
I have tried to get parallel at the top but to no avail.i feel now I will keep it as it is.
As long as your timings on 150 for a 7 iron is good.
Just work on your strengths.

virtuocity

Tour Winner
Visit site
Gareth, be careful with your pursuit of a longer backswing.

Check these pictures from 2 years ago.

OSmnths.jpg

This still creeps into my game when I get frustrated and try to hit the ball too far. It is going to be a life-long battle to stop this.

In my shabby opinion, the backswing stops when your body turn stops. I'd much have a connected backswing than a huge run off of the arms that leads to huge OTT moves, terrible strikes etc.

Back to you, you hit your 7 iron a decent distance. The question is whether you strike it consistently. I doubt the length of your backswing affects strike that much. I'd think it was more to do with tempo, set up, path etc.

Good luck!

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
My pro asks me to rotate so my left shoulder is in line with, or inside the ball, and for me to feel like I am holding my waist back, not easy at my age but I find this helps

This seems like a good thing to do!

Note that it doesn't mention setting the club shaft parallel; simply coiling the shoulders!

In answer to OP's question 1....The coil sets you in a good position to produce momentum during the downswing. Note that the coil produces no 'potential energy' itself - muscles are not rubber bands (quite the opposite in fact!) - it's the downswing, the synchronised turning of the torso, hips and swinging arms, that produces the impact momentum.

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Gareth, be careful with your pursuit of a longer backswing.

Check these pictures from 2 years ago.

View attachment 13902

Nice improvement there!

I know the end result is a shorter backswing, but what strikes me is that your shoulder turn looks very similar in each one.

Each subsequent picture has a little less upper body lean towards the target, and a little less left elbow bend = just as good a turn but with less to go wrong on the downswing.

Huwey12

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I have a 3/4 backswing, if I try to go further my striking isn't so solid. IMO a full turn helps you to hit the ball straighter, a lesser turn promotes an OTT swing
Your Q2, to enable an effortless turn lift your chin to allow your shoulder to pass under it, it feels like looking down your nose at the ball at address, if your chin blocks your shoulder/arm your brain thinks you've completed the backswing

hope this helps