machynys golf course

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
just making my mind up weather or not to enter my works national comp at this location. its a 3 hour drive for me.

is it worth the drive? we also get a free practice round a few weeks prior and i was wondering if there practice round would be advantageous or is knowing the course not so important

many thanks

chimpo1

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I don’t think it is worth a 3 hour drive. Most of it is pretty much laid out in front of you. There aren’t any blind shots that I can recall. I wouldn’t suggest driving down just for a practice round.

D

Deleted Member 1156

I've played it a few times, quite enjoy it. The back 9 is better than the front but I disagree with the comment above. There are one or two shots on the course where you can't really see where you are going so a practice round would be useful. There is quite a lot of water and knowing where it is and where it cuts in could save you shots.

If you could arrange a practice round the day before rather than drive down twice I would do so :thup:

Ndw7

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Played the course twice in absolutely abysmal weather. Like proper raining sideways both times. The first time we walked in after 9. The second time the sun came out on the 8th so we decided to play the rest soaking wet. I'd love another chance at playing it though. As per the above comments, not sure its worth two 3 hour drives if you want a practice round. I would recommend playing on the day though, there isn't too much there that will catch you out in terms on blind shots (from what I remember, but may stand corrected). Im surely Tommy Fleetwood raves about it as the best man made links course.

Siren

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Its not worth a 3 hour drive for a practice round, play Pennard instead, its probably the most underrated course in Wales.

Big_G

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Have played there a few times, not sure I'd travel that far for a practice round, most of the course is pretty much there in front of you.

Clubhouse is nice, excellent food