Lyme Regis or Bridport & West Dorset?

Canary Kid

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Given the issues with travelling abroad at the moment, my wife and I are having a short break in Lyme Regis in a couple of weeks. As with all holidays, I am able to play one local course and I can’t decide between these two ... they seem similar and get similar reviews online. Has anyone played both and, if so, which one would you suggest? Thanks.

Pathetic Shark

Tour Rookie
Visit site
They are both worth a visit with excellent views. I would take Bridport first simply because of their iconic par 3 off the top of a cliff down to a green below.

matt71

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Played Bridport last spring and the Par 3 is a cracker , however in my opinion the rest of the course (IMHO) was just ok.

the views are nice though ?

Canary Kid

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Thanks for all the replies. I like the look of the signature hole at Bridport, but won’t chose based upon one hole. Lyme Regis is within walking distance from where we are staying and so, as nobody has suggested that Bridport is a clear winner, I shall opt for Lyme Regis. Thanks again all.

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
I've only played
Lyme Regis once many years ago, when I played for a club in east Dorset in a match against Lyme Regis.
At the meal afterwards, I said to one of our opponents, " Your club has a serious problem, you know."
He looked at me a little shocked and said, defensively, " why what's wrong with it?"
I said, " it's at the wrong end of the County"
I went on to explain that I thought it was a brilliant club which I would be keen to join if it was situated near where I lived.?
So, my choice would be Lyme.
P.S. Their fish and chips meals are legendary. A mate recently commented on that, and it jogged my memory that that was what we ate after our game, and it was lovely.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Lyme Regis every time but it does have one serious setback relevant to this time of year. Lyme Bay gets rolling seas fogs which can close the course in a matter of minutes however in the same respect a slight breeze and it can reopen a very short time afterwards.