Lydia Ko...

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
A rangefinder would have been useful in this instance but the top players don't always play to the flag
They'll often hit to a portion of the green that gives them the easiest putt - that may not be laserable ( if that isn't a word then it should be!)
From what I've read, most of the Pros don't think a laser would speed things up.
That need to put a definitive time limit on each shot.. something like a minute from reaching your ball or 30 seconds after your opponent has hit, with a leeway if there needs to be a ruling.
Taking more than 2 minutes over any shot tells me that you're thinking about it waaaaay too much..

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
A delay to ask for a ruling is fine. mucking about for 10 minutes pacing out a yardage is a joke.

Admittedly I did enjoy the Spieth circus at the open.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
i think we can all agree sometimes Pro's take way to long to play shots on many occasions these shots are simple and Am players wouldn't even worry about the shot.

i don't watch Pro golf very often as it is whole the whole slow and boring particularly anything in the states.

one instance springs to mind from a few years ago, Kegan Bradly took 10 mins to hit a 70 yards shot, with nothing in front of the green with the flag at the back. he even walked to the green mid conversation with his caddy, then went back again. he could have hit 10 shots in the same time with the same results.

not entertainment in my book

SatchFan

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Wonder if Lydia will still have the same caddie by the end of the tournament. She seems to get through them like my wife gets through gin and tonic.

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
How about this for the pro tours:

When the player hits their tee shot on the first, a clock is started.
Every 10 mins, a shot is added to their total.
Finish the round quickly, and you reduce the number of added shots.
Maybe they can have 2 or 3 time outs per round to ask for rulings.

(Suggested in jest, but come to think of it...)

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Laser rangefinders are allowed under the rules now. They should also be allowed at the highest level in the game.

This would allow players to play quickly and allow the authorities who run the game to impose penalties on those taking too long.

Saw someone on TV this morning taking an age with their caddie over a putt (about 25 feet) and then were about 3 feet wide of the hole.

Is the Trilby Tour back already? :)

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I think there needs to be a maximum time allowance per shot, which can be extended by the rules officials to allow for rulings. Once a ruling has been given and the ball dropped in play the clock is on again. That would stop unnecessary treks around the course to get an exact yardage for a lay up shot
I'm with you here. It doesn't have to be the 40/50 second rule, but surely something like two minutes per shot would be more than adequate, and remove ridiculous situations like this one.

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de
Honestly, I had the feeling she sent her caddie away to pace out the distanct (something he could not really do precisely anyway, because he can't walk on water) mostly because she needed to get rid of him for a little while to clear her mind. The decision to hit the 3-wood was an awful one and she knew it and her caddie's "told you so" attitude wasn't really helping.

And yeah, of course 15 minutes for a shot is not acceptable and also Lydia is really a bit notorious for taking her time ... I remember several times her group was taken on the clock because she has a tendency to fall behind. But as long as pace of play is not enforced by the authorities, the players will take their time when they feel it helps their game and I cannot really fault them for that. It is part of their job to optimize their result in any way they can.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I'm with you here. It doesn't have to be the 40/50 second rule, but surely something like two minutes per shot would be more than adequate, and remove ridiculous situations like this one.
Exactly. Give them a reasonable amount of time to discuss distances, shot selection etc but then go and hit it. A set time of say three minutes (same as a ball search) doesn't seem excessive and seven in the rough should be enough time to decide how its lying and what you are going to do. If you get into serious issues in the trees and have to move a crowd, then of course that isn't going to be taken off the shot time. Give them say 3 x 1 minute extensions and that should be more than adequate to keep the groups moving at a decent pace

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
Watching golf you can basically say pros are oblivious to the watching public it’s not their concern.

The trouble is their actions are contagious,watching the Amateurs at Augusta some were just as slow.

I was watching the Valsper last night and someone had a 25ft putt that missed to the right by 2ft,as the guy walked the 25ft to the ball he got his green map book out.
He probably got it out to see why it missed right but it was the last round.

D

Deleted member 15344

It should be 45 seconds, 2 mins is ridiculous, there is no reason for them to take more than 45 seconds. They have played these courses plenty of times , have yardage books measured down to 5 yard gaps , Green books

You give them 2 mins per shot and that extends the round significantly- we are trying to make the sport quicker and more enjoyable to watch

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
It should be 45 seconds, 2 mins is ridiculous, there is no reason for them to take more than 45 seconds. They have played these courses plenty of times , have yardage books measured down to 5 yard gaps , Green books

You give them 2 mins per shot and that extends the round significantly- we are trying to make the sport quicker and more enjoyable to watch
What do you mean? I reckon they already take more than 2 minutes a shot on average.

D

Deleted member 15344

What do you mean? I reckon they already take more than 2 minutes a shot on average.

And they are already taking too long - slow play is really bad in golf and it needs to pick up so they need to make it a maximum of 45 seconds and actually enforce it. If you tell them all that they can take 2 mins they all will and that slows the game down even more - it’s not rocket science

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
And they are already taking too long - slow play is really bad in golf and it needs to pick up so they need to make it a maximum of 45 seconds and actually enforce it. If you tell them all that they can take 2 mins they all will and that slows the game down even more - it’s not rocket science
I just meant actually punish them if they go over the two minutes, with a shot penalty or whatever. I doubt they would actively take longer if they didn't need to, just because you set an upper limit?? The ones who are quick enough would just carry on at their usual pace.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I just meant actually punish them if they go over the two minutes, with a shot penalty or whatever. I doubt they would actively take longer if they didn't need to, just because you set an upper limit?? The ones who are quick enough would just carry on at their usual pace.
You have to take into account getting a yardage, assessing the conditions and playing a shot. I agree most already take far longer than that in just discussing the shot, yardage and club with the caddy. That is is the part that takes the time. I reckon that taking the shot itself most players would take around the same time