Lydia Ko...

Fish

Banned
Visit site
Just watching the ladies golf (its on in the background whilst doing my accounts), and she's just taken 15 minutes to play a shot I think! She went in the water, had to take a drop but then where she was the caddie didn't have the yardage for her to lay-up to, so he had to walk all the way around the water to a different position to get that yardage which took over 5 minutes then return to Ko, where she would then take her 5th shot to a lay-up position, ffs, really!

chellie

Tour Winner
Visit site
Just watching the ladies golf (its on in the background whilst doing my accounts), and she's just taken 15 minutes to play a shot I think! She went in the water, had to take a drop but then where she was the caddie didn't have the yardage for her to lay-up to, so he had to walk all the way around the water to a different position to get that yardage which took over 5 minutes then return to Ko, where she would then take her 5th shot to a lay-up position, ffs, really!

Same as some men then.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
Same as some men then.

TBF I've seen many a comment on the slow men players on the pga and never seen a response along the lines of "same as some of the men then"......
I'm not watching it, but if it was 15 minutes then that's worthy of highlighting imo

Fish

Banned
Visit site
Same as some men then.

Thanks for adding nothing, it wasn't a pishing contest or a dig against women per se, it was simply a general observation that just because the caddie didn't have the distance from where she had to go back to and drop, the caddie had to walk more than 5 minutes then back again just for her to lay-up.

But seeing as you've opened the door, I personally don't think a caddie in the men's game would do that, I think a judgement would be made and a shot played, taking 15 minutes in total to take a lay-up shot is taking the pish, whether you're male or female, but in this case, it was female!

D

Deleted member 18588

Thanks for adding nothing, it wasn't a pishing contest or a dig against women per se, it was simply a general observation that just because the caddie didn't have the distance from where she had to go back to and drop, the caddie had to walk more than 5 minutes then back again just for her to lay-up.

But seeing as you've opened the door, I personally don't think a caddie in the men's game would do that, I think a judgement would be made and a shot played, taking 15 minutes in total to take a lay-up shot is taking the pish, whether you're male or female, but in this case, it was female!

May I refer you to Jordan Spieth at the 13th at Royal Birkdale in the Open in 2017.

Fish

Banned
Visit site
May I refer you to Jordan Spieth at the 13th at Royal Birkdale in the Open in 2017.

Absolutely no comparison, just watched it and from addressing his tee shot to taking his shot on the practice ground he took 12.5mins, and that was with consulting marshals and all manner of rules, this was simply in the water, walked back on line, took a drop, didn't know distance to go sideways and then took 15 minutes to assess!

Plus Spieth was going for the green, this was just a lay-up!

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 18588

Absolutely no comparison, just watched it and from addressing his tee shot to taking his shot on the practice ground he took 12.5mins, and that was with consulting marshals and all manner of rules, this was simply in the water, walked back on line, took a drop, didn't know distance to go sideways and then took 15 minutes to assess!

Plus Spieth was going for the green, this was just a lay-up!

Every shot is equally important, they all count one.

Attention to detail (or faffing about) Is just as time consuming in the men's as women's game.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site

I am kind of in agreement with him in that it was a lay up, i know lots of men can faff around. But i don't recall a 15 minute one. Even the Spieth one which was imo at a far more important time wasn't that long and involved significant advice from rules officials.

The most high profile one i can recall was the 18th last year (can't recall where) when it took a good 5 minutes for a lay up.

He was also referencing the caddies. Not so much the players and i also think there is a shred of truth to that too. The whole rule on lining up has come about because it's (was) far more common place in the womens game.

I will accept though, that that does kind of show that he did say what you'd questioned ;)

D

Deleted member 18588

[QUOTE="Papas1982, post: 1981744, member: 17285He was also referencing the caddies. Not so much the players and i also think there is a shred of truth to that too. The whole rule on lining up has come about because it's (was) far more common place in the womens game.
[/QUOTE]

Don't get me started on the lining up issue, which I agree seemed to be a bigger problem in the women's game.

I would have to question if a player should be competing if they need a caddy to line them up.

D

Deleted member 18588

No I didn't, but I can't be doing with explaining myself to oinks like you, that's why I hardly post on here anymore as people like you read things how you want to suit an argument that was never there. Maybe it reads different to a thick brummie.....

Good bye..

Grow up!

Fish

Banned
Visit site
Just watched it on Sky - 9 minutes taken which is way too long! Surely they should just let players have laser rangefinders??

I appreciate she, along with her caddie wouldn't have expected to be where they ended up after taking a drop due to finding the water, but to get your caddie to walk around the huge amount of water to the fairway so he could judge the lay-up distance to the fairway from where she dropped, and then return, well IMO was a nonsense, it's not like the fairways are only 10ft wide, she's only looking to lay up safely to give herself a shot to the green, he could have given her a comfortable and safe estimate, but she seemed quite argumentative at the time.

Wolf

Visit site
Just watched it on Sky - 9 minutes taken which is way too long! Surely they should just let players have laser rangefinders??
I'm in complete agreement with this. Considering how much goes into the yardage books and then takes a age on both men's and womens tours to deliberate said yardage written in the books, and then pacing shots well, it would make more sense to have Lasers used on tour gives them exact number and get on with it

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
I appreciate she, along with her caddie wouldn't have expected to be where they ended up after taking a drop due to finding the water, but to get your caddie to walk around the huge amount of water to the fairway so he could judge the lay-up distance to the fairway from where she dropped, and then return, well IMO was a nonsense, it's not like the fairways are only 10ft wide, she's only looking to lay up safely to give herself a shot to the green, he could have given her a comfortable and safe estimate, but she seemed quite argumentative at the time.

Agreed. They did suggest it was a bit of a Tin Cup moment that she took the first shot on and he was less than happy. Also heard him say something like "well that will take at least 5 minutes" to which she just looked at him so he ditched the bag and walked round!

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I think there needs to be a maximum time allowance per shot, which can be extended by the rules officials to allow for rulings. Once a ruling has been given and the ball dropped in play the clock is on again. That would stop unnecessary treks around the course to get an exact yardage for a lay up shot

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Laser rangefinders are allowed under the rules now. They should also be allowed at the highest level in the game.

This would allow players to play quickly and allow the authorities who run the game to impose penalties on those taking too long.

Saw someone on TV this morning taking an age with their caddie over a putt (about 25 feet) and then were about 3 feet wide of the hole.