Lurking in the freezer….

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
If you can convince yourself that all bacteria have gone, and the food has not already decomposed, then fine. It's your choice at the end of the day.
From somewhere in the back of my mind I think I recall something about types if bacteria that are able to producing toxins which aren't destroyed by cooking.

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Reminds me of what my dad said in 1996 when giving a tinned sponge pudding to my wife and I. He passed away aged 81 in1998 and in a broad Northern accent said to my wife:-

‘‘Twas a bit worried about that lass” and she asked him why?

Well I bought that tin before my wife died and that was in 1984!

We both survived! The longevity of Heinz

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
The biological process still goes on at -20°C and so the food will continue to rot, albeit at a much slower pace. The bacteria will still be active, just much less so.
The only time you can guarantee the biological clock will stop is below -135°C.
Given the age you have found these, I wouldn't take the chance.
Which biological processes and do they represent a danger?

Everything I have read suggests that bacteria do not multiply at freezer temperatures though they can survive and although there can be continued alteration to the food this is not of itself dangerous though it will alter its taste and texture sometimes.

Decomposition of food is not of itself dangerous unless it is accompanied by multiplication of pathogenic organisms or production of toxins by these organisms, neither of which happens during freezing as far as my reading goes.

road2ruin

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
We need an update...unless...

Ha, apologies!

I decided to defrost before making any decisions and whilst there was no discernible smell it was a little on the ‘slimy’ side. The rest of the family weren’t going any where it and I decide I’d rather not spend days in bed dealing with the consequences so it ended up in the bin.

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
Ha, apologies!

I decided to defrost before making any decisions and whilst there was no discernible smell it was a little on the ‘slimy’ side. The rest of the family weren’t going any where it and I decide I’d rather not spend days in bed dealing with the consequences so it ended up in the bin.

Phew! Slimy would be enough to put me off too.

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Having a tidy up in the freezer and found a pack of sirloin strips that got covered up and then forgotten about. Their use by date was May 2021 although they were bought from a farm shop and already frozen. Are they likely to do me any harm or are they just likely to have lost a bit nutritionally?
Should have sent them to Lord Tyrion. He could have had them before his Xmas pud 🤣🤢