LPGA whats in the bag got me thinking

shewy

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Looking around some of the winners bags from tournaments and there set ups and distances.
To me the PGA tour guys are just way out of my league but the LPGA distances are not dissimilair to my own.
There are a lot of LPGA girls who only have 6i and above and play a combo of hybrids and woods below this.
Do you think a lot of mid handicappers would benifit from this set up? (may buy a 5h anyways for summer)
My 5 i is 24 degrees which is a 3 iron in old money.

FairwayDodger

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'm going the opposite way - practising hard with both 5i and 4i at the range and not carrying either my hybrid or five iron over the winter - forcing me to use the four iron more on the course and hopefully have more confidence with the longer irons come the new season. That's working well so far - used it twice yesterday and hit the green both times.

Having said that, I'll see how it's going when the serious stuff starts; if the hybrid is going to help it'll be in the bag!

T

thecraw

Looking around some of the winners bags from tournaments and there set ups and distances.
To me the PGA tour guys are just way out of my league but the LPGA distances are not dissimilair to my own.
There are a lot of LPGA girls who only have 6i and above and play a combo of hybrids and woods below this.
Do you think a lot of mid handicappers would benifit from this set up? (may buy a 5h anyways for summer)
My 5 i is 24 degrees which is a 3 iron in old money.

Suzanne Petterson is on record somewhere saying anyone from a 4 handicap or above would improve by carrying more hybrids and dumping the macho long irons.

She is 100% correct. (and hot)

Suzann_Pettersen-1.jpg

palindromicbob

Tour Winner
Visit site
I have often heard it said that someone with males especially, those with slower swing speeds, could accomplish more by trying to replicate pro ladies than pro men.

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site
When I was playing off 12, my lady golf coach advised me to watch the LPGA rather than the PGA as I'd benefit more from studying their slower swings, wasn't the only thing I benefited from ;)

T

thecraw

I have often heard it said that someone with males especially, those with slower swing speeds, could accomplish more by trying to replicate pro ladies than pro men.

Yip, my moobs are getting bigger. I'll soon be a B cup.

:eek:ne:

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
I've always been of the mindset that if you can't hit a 4 iron consistantly, what makes people think they can hit a 4H any better?

I understand the reasoning behind hybids and the tech in getting the ball to fly but if you cant swing a 4 iron properly a hybrid isn't going to be much help. Like Homer says, they aren't a magic wand.

Generally speaking, the longer the club, the harder to it is to hit well. Do a side by side comparison of a hybrid and iron.

Mizuno JPX 825 4H - Length 38.75"
Mizuno JPX 825 4i - Length 38.25"

Any club is only as good as the meat ball swinging it.

shewy

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I know it's a couple of weeks since my last post on this subect but I work away,I managed to get my hands on a Burner 09 5H for the pricely sum of £20 and could not pass it up at that price.
Took it to the range and it's a piece of cake to hit, surprisingly I hit my 5iron equally well and distances were similar.So booked in for a launch monitor session on Thursday to try and figure out the best yardage gaps between the 3 wood and 6 iron,throwing in a 5 wood for confussion purposes as well.
SO that will be 3w,5w,3h (19),4h (22), 5h (25), 5i 24 and 6i at 26.5. it will be interesting thats for sure.