LPGA - Rule Break or Not

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 18588

As far as I can remember, the same rule applies whether its a team or not.

Difference between fellow competitor and member of the same team would mean that the latter is more likely to be seeking an advantage.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I'm a bit torn really, imo the only reason that ball was left there was to act as a potential backstop. However if both parties say there was no collusion then I guess we have to take their word for it.
Isn't golf based on integrity and calling penalties when we know (or think) we have broken a rule. If they say there was no collusion then surely as you say, we need to take their word for it

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Isn't golf based on integrity and calling penalties when we know (or think) we have broken a rule. If they say there was no collusion then surely as you say, we need to take their word for it
Really? Why? That is being naive isn't it? It's a lovely thought but these are professional sports people playing for their living and I'm not in the camp that says we have to believe them no matter what.

I should add, I'm not saying there was collusion. I'm just saying I don't blindly believe what they say when it comes to potential rules issues.

Last edited:

sam85

Head Pro
Visit site
Really? Why? That is being naive isn't it? It's a lovely thought but these are professional sports people playing for their living and I'm not in the camp that says we have to believe them no matter what.

As I said my own opinion is that ball was left there for one reason only. However the rules dictate that if both players agree they weren’t in collusion there is no penalty. I’m not sure how you’d go about proving they were lying?

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
As I said my own opinion is that ball was left there for one reason only. However the rules dictate that if both players agree they weren’t in collusion there is no penalty. I’m not sure how you’d go about proving they were lying?
I'm not saying they were but like in any sport you look at the situation and make a judgement based on what you see. I don't believe you can fully go off what the players alone say.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
It's a funny one.

Where do you draw the line for a ball potentially not being a back stop?

If there is a ball 10 feet left of the hole, it too could be a back stop.

I feel if both parties are a fair distance away like they were In this case then it's in the lap of the gods if the balls collide.

It could also have deflected the ball to the right for example and away down a slope.

Sometimes it's a case of the rub of the green.

D

Deleted member 18588

Yes, and? Not sure what you're getting at.

Because for there to be a breach of the Rule you must "reasonably believe" that the ball left on the green might help another's play.

Why, therefore, would one individual be deliberately helping a fellow competitor?

On the other hand two members of the same team in a pro-am maybe far more likely to collude with each other.

In the case under discussion due to the position of her ball I find it hard to believe that the player whose ball remained unmarked would reasonably believe that, by doing so, she was assisting her fellow competitor.

Dave3498

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Why is only to do with chipping? What about par threes where a player's ball lies close to the pin after a tee shot? Are we saying that it should be marked? Think of the pace of play implications.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Because for there to be a breach of the Rule you must "reasonably believe" that the ball left on the green might help another's play.

Why, therefore, would one individual be deliberately helping a fellow competitor?

On the other hand two members of the same team in a pro-am maybe far more likely to collude with each other.

In the case under discussion due to the position of her ball I find it hard to believe that the player whose ball remained unmarked would reasonably believe that, by doing so, she was assisting her fellow competitor.

Gotcha now, and good point previously. I just missed where you were going with it.

Sweep

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I think that if you are trying to hide collusion the last thing you would do would be a fist pump to celebrate the alleged collusion working.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
As a tactic if you want to potentially get any random advantage from another players ball like this then be ready to play ASAP after they do, then you kinda remove their opptunity to go and mark
What we've seen in the men's game is a far more blatant unspoken collusion and no action taken against players so it's tough to pull up any others who were in all likelihood just playing quickly

Homer

Visit site
For me the rule should be changed so that if you're chipping from around the green. A set range can be defined then balls should be marked after hitting.

I don't for a second a player will aim for their opponents ball. As has been said, they're aiming for the hole. That said if gives an extra chance of a miss hit stopping closer than it would.

As things stand the rule is too unclear and to penalise a player is almost like trying to retro ban a player for diving in footy. Proof of intent is subjective.

Change the rule and its then clear.

How far away does chipping stopping being chipping and how do you measure it? Just to be clear.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
It could be any distance the tour decide. Just so that they can get rid of the ambiguity of the current rule. If they simply said all shots from within 10 yards of the green/hole had to be marked. Or all shots that finish within 3 foot of the hole must be marked when players are around the green.

I’m not saying it’s perfect, but there are too many times when the defence of golf is an honest game is used. How many funny stances to payers take to get clear of a cable, sprinkler head etc. They are all after a living and will use the rules to their advantage whenever they can. Imo the rules shouldn’t be open to such manipulation.

Homer

Visit site
What a wonderful idea to create 7 hour rounds to introduce something for nearly every hole to solve a problem that occurs once every 100+ rounds.

10 yards from green or hole is quite a difference. How do I measure if I’m 29 or 31 feet away - just pace it off? Great add some more time wasting!

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
What a wonderful idea to create 7 hour rounds to introduce something for nearly every hole to solve a problem that occurs once every 100+ rounds.

10 yards from green or hole is quite a difference. How do I measure if I’m 29 or 31 feet away - just pace it off? Great add some more time wasting!

Be quicker to just remove the ruling entirely as it’s bull