Low launching shafts

timchump

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Hi

Today i tried out my new sky caddie christmas prezzie :)
really curious to know how far i can actually hit my driver,
i delusionally thought i could hit the driver 300 yards, the reality....

hit 3 balls down one hole total distance was 248, 261, and 269, slightly wind behind
then 3 more balls down the adjacent hole, back into the breeze, 228, 235, 238 total

I use a titleist 910 D2 set at 10.25 degrees with a diamana ilima shaft, 4.5 torque mid/high launching.

been thinking for a while about trying a lower lauching shaft - play on a links where it can get pretty windy

I've noticed you can pick up the the AHINA or RIP that come standard on the 910 range faitrly cheap now,
i think the torque on these is in the low 3's with a mid to low launch

my questions is based on the above is my swing swing speed quick enough to justify a stiffer lower lanching shaft,
or will i lose distance by going for something less whippy ?

Last edited:

Lump

Tour Winner
Visit site
The Rip shaft can be a bugger to get any height unless you give it a good old slap.

Do you find your drives balloon? or do you have more of a rainbow flight? have you tried turning your loft down?

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Ilima is a high launching shaft. I would be wary about jumping to RIP which is a very different beast (I agree with Lump's assessment), and consider Ka'ali (mid) or A'hina (lower) instead. All of these are standard shafts and you should be able to demo them without any fuss at any dealer with a fitting cart.

If you carry the ball around 240 or so, you are probably 100mph (give or take) driver swing speed range. If so, you probably carry a 7 iron about 155.

If you want another option, the Grafalloy ProLaunch Red is a pretty good value reliable low launcher.

stevek1969

Money List Winner
Visit site
The Rip shaft can be a bugger to get any height unless you give it a good old slap.

Do you find your drives balloon? or do you have more of a rainbow flight? have you tried turning your loft down?

The guy plays a links course so doesn't need any height,the lower the better.

timchump

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Hi thanks for your replies

Lump thanks for your views on the RIP, i'm weary of going for an aggresive shaft, some of my best hits have been with bog standard regular flexes
i think a lot of people like to have a RIP shaft in there club, but in reality propably would benefit with something more whippy, dont want fall in this trap

Ethan your spot on, i happen to check the distance on my 7 iron into a par 3 today, pitch marks were 152 & 154.

I can pick up a diamana white shaft fairly cheap am i correct in thinking this is the ahina?

Most of my shots are rainbow flights i do get the occasional baloon though,
the reason i'm thinking of changing, i was playing in a comp on last week really nailed a drive into a 2 club wind, it balooned up only went about 210 :(

Last edited:

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I don't think the made for ahina is hard to hit, or the rip. Got both, and can hit either. Swing speed at just less than 100mph too. Can hit the rip plenty high enough. You should give it a go. You might be surprised. To me, it is too light, but that is the modern trend.

stevek1969

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'm going for a driver optimisation next week to hit different shafts, is there no place near you where you can do this, think its the best way to go.

griffgolf

Head Pro
Visit site
A proper Aldila NV75 stiff shaft

A proper Diamana White shaft

A proper Proforce Mamiya AXIVCore Tour Green shaft

With the word "proper" I mean the "original make" not the "Titleist issue" of a certain types of shaft

You could also try the 910 D3 head to give you even more lower spin :)

T

thecraw

I'd agree that the Aldila NV is well worth a shout.

Also I was under the impression that the Rip in the Titleist was a "real" shaft and not a made for.

I'd agree with Steve and you really should go and try as many different shafts as possible. I have used the Grafalloy Red in the past however for me the Aldila shafts seem better, they offer more feedback and just feel better to me. I also loved the Diamana that I had in my Rapture.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Have you thought about spending £15-20 on a lesson on how to hit the ball low for those holes into the wind.
It would also help you control the trajectory of your irons.

Dave B

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Hi I'm new to the forum and I'm in the same predicament, in that I currently use a Nike VR 11-5 driver with and Aldila Voodoo SV6 stiff shaft. I get a high flight, (high rainbow but with no ballooning), and as a result my shots even in the summer are all carry with the ball dropping out of the air with little roll.

I love the driver but to get more distance I have three options.

1. To change the head to 10.5 degrees
2. To reshaft
3. To buy a Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 10.5 degree driver currently on sale for £80

Changing the head is an expensive option and although I have played with the settings I prefer the neutral setting.

Reshafting could be dificult with the adaptor although I do have a green Aldila NV shaft in the cupboard

The Diablo Edge Tour looks like a good option and possibly the cheapest but I'm not sure if the shaft in Regular would be fine or if I'd need the stiff. If anybody has this driver or plays with somebody who uses it I would appreciate an opinion.

I've never been measured for swing speed and I can carry a 7 iron close to 160 in the summer with my driver 240-250 yds.

My general driver shots go straight or have a slight draw.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Hi I'm new to the forum and I'm in the same predicament, in that I currently use a Nike VR 11-5 driver with and Aldila Voodoo SV6 stiff shaft. I get a high flight, (high rainbow but with no ballooning), and as a result my shots even in the summer are all carry with the ball dropping out of the air with little roll.

2. To reshaft
3. To buy a Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 10.5 degree driver currently on sale for £80

Changing the head is an expensive option and although I have played with the settings I prefer the neutral setting.

Reshafting could be dificult with the adaptor although I do have a green Aldila NV shaft in the cupboard

The Diablo Edge Tour looks like a good option and possibly the cheapest but I'm not sure if the shaft in Regular would be fine or if I'd need the stiff. If anybody has this driver or plays with somebody who uses it I would appreciate an opinion.

I've never been measured for swing speed and I can carry a 7 iron close to 160 in the summer with my driver 240-250 yds.

Dave

The Diablo is a good driver, but with the standard shaft in regular, I would think you might see a lot more of the left side of the course. My driving distance and 7 iron are similar to yours, and I use the Diablo Black Tour with the 70g stiff Project X shaft, and that is a comfortable flex.

If you keep scanning ebay, you will soon find a Diablo Tour driver with a standard stiff shaft.

Andy

Tour Winner
Visit site

2. To reshaft

Or buy a nice Titleist 905S 8.5° with Aldila NV thats listed in the for sale section. ;-)