Low launch shaft/low spin shaft

Wildrover

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Got to disagree with you on this one, I used to have a blue (NOT PL blue) in an R7 driver and couldn't keep it down. I went for a TM fitting and the fitter checked my R7 on the monitor, spin rates were between 5000 and 7000 rpm depending on strike. Certainly not a low spin shaft. A Proforce 75g shaft brought the spin down to sub 3000 rpm.

There is no way a proper Graffalloy Blue would spin this much unless you were slicing it like crazy. Think you may be getting mixed up with something else. May have been a made for TM shaft that was a shadow of the real thing.

To the OP, if you like the shaft you have now then try a slightly heavier version of it, around 70-75g perhaps.

scratch

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
There is no way a proper Graffalloy Blue would spin this much unless you were slicing it like crazy. Think you may be getting mixed up with something else. May have been a made for TM shaft that was a shadow of the real thing.

To the OP, if you like the shaft you have now then try a slightly heavier version of it, around 70-75g perhaps.

I'm not getting mixed up, the shaft was an aftermarket fit on the recommendation of a fitter. I got it checked out when I couldn't hit it any further than about 180 into the wind, it would just balloon straight up. When I changed to the Proforce in the same head the spin dropped dramatically.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Got to disagree with you on this one, I used to have a blue (NOT PL blue) in an R7 driver and couldn't keep it down. I went for a TM fitting and the fitter checked my R7 on the monitor, spin rates were between 5000 and 7000 rpm depending on strike. Certainly not a low spin shaft. A Proforce 75g shaft brought the spin down to sub 3000 rpm.

Well, I can't comment on your R7, but your experience is a rare, if not peculiar, one. The Blue is well known as a strong shaft with low spin and a piercing flight. YMMV, as they say in these fora. There is always one, as they say elsewhere.

See this question on the Grafalloy website:

Q. Now that the Grafalloy Blue is discontinued what is the comparable shaft?

A. The Grafalloy Blue was designed for the extremely strong player who was looking for the ultimate in spin reduction. The best replacement option would be our current low spin, low launch product, the ProLaunch Red, tipped 1".

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
How about a Fujikura Motore F1 65? Low spin as its tip stiff and won't be too expensive. You might want to look into using a stiff shaft if your goal is to keep the spin down. Also going heavier usually brings the spin down too.

I've got f1"s in all bar one of my woods, and that's because I still cant find
A 75g fw version for sale anywhere

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
NV85 seems to be popular with/for big guys who give it quite a whack - and are looking for stability. Heard of someone having great success with it in a hybrid though.

that is what I am whacking in my driver and I would advise anyone looking for a lower launching shaft to give it a whack. I have so much more feel from it at impact and I feel that I am in control of it.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
that is what I am whacking in my driver and I would advise anyone looking for a lower launching shaft to give it a whack. I have so much more feel from it at impact and I feel that I am in control of it.

Not the sort of shaft I'd suggest for a wimpy, slow swinging Senior - even if they are looking for a low launching shaft.

T

thecraw

Is the rombax z series not a mid launch? I've got a mid launch already, preferably around £50 max.

For that sort of budget I'd suggest you'll struggle for most apart from the Grafalloy Prolaunch Red. If you can stretch to about £70-£75 then you'll be able to pick up a Diamana Whiteboard which is awesome.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Pro launch red might be budget, but it is still a heck of a shaft. Prefer it to the white board any day. That's just me though. White board is clearly an excellent shaft. But you need some golf to get any thing out of it. Mine is in the boot.

T

thecraw

Pro launch red might be budget, but it is still a heck of a shaft. Prefer it to the white board any day. That's just me though. White board is clearly an excellent shaft. But you need some golf to get any thing out of it. Mine is in the boot.

I found the whiteboard was a smoother shaft than the PL Red. I also think the PL red is a fantastic value shaft. I'd certainly "game" it before the Aldila NV. I'd go Proto VS before NV as well.

Actually I'll throw this into the mix. Not big over here but I think these will really take off in the UK over the next year or so. Great budget shaft that has a bit of a cult following.

Arthur Extreme Shafts.

http://golfalchemy.org.uk/shafts-arthur-xtreme-c-9_17.html?osCsid=7b09de5593d5cabbdec23ed35c5171f7

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
All these shaft specs make my head spin. I once had a 'Bang-o-Matic' 7 deg with a Harrison Striper XXS shaft, it was like hittng with an iron bar but if I teed it high, kept it forward and swung up I could still get a high launch low spin flight.

When I want a lower flight I swing more around my body, I keep the swing plane very flat in the back swing and follow through, creates a more level hit into the ball.

MGL

Challenge Tour Pro
www.mygolf.me
I found the whiteboard was a smoother shaft than the PL Red. I also think the PL red is a fantastic value shaft. I'd certainly "game" it before the Aldila NV. I'd go Proto VS before NV as well.

Actually I'll throw this into the mix. Not big over here but I think these will really take off in the UK over the next year or so. Great budget shaft that has a bit of a cult following.

Arthur Extreme Shafts.

http://golfalchemy.org.uk/shafts-arthur-xtreme-c-9_17.html?osCsid=7b09de5593d5cabbdec23ed35c5171f7

Xcaliber shafts are VERY good. Made by a guy who moved from NASA to be head of product design when graphite shafts were first brought out at Grafalloy. Cashed his chips in then eventually founded this company.

I met him when I did my training in the US as he came and did a presentation. Really fascinating listening to him. He has a view - which I don't necessarily agree with - that all premium shafts are a con and NO graphite shaft should cost more than about $30 to make and that all the premium priced ones are just extortion!

shewy

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Well I may have found the answer and it's not the shaft, I went into AG today to try out the Nike Coverts, they look nice in the flesh,but they were 20 yards shorter than my R11's Miyazaki combo. I nfairness the guy said he could not better the combo I was using,but he did mention why I was getting such a high ball flight and spin numbers. Seems I release the club to early.
So it's back to the pro to get some drills on not releasing the club early. Thanks for all the input though.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Xcaliber shafts are VERY good. Made by a guy who moved from NASA to be head of product design when graphite shafts were first brought out at Grafalloy. Cashed his chips in then eventually founded this company.

I met him when I did my training in the US as he came and did a presentation. Really fascinating listening to him. He has a view - which I don't necessarily agree with - that all premium shafts are a con and NO graphite shaft should cost more than about $30 to make and that all the premium priced ones are just extortion!

I like his viewpoint! :)

Though it seems to me that Golf (and maybe Beauty products and Fine Wine) is the epitome of 'pricing for what the market can stand' approach. However, I don't begrudge anyone cashing in on particular breakthroughs.

An interesting aside on the 'search for THE shaft'. The last 3 rounds, I've used 3 different Drivers with 3 quite different shafts (the 9.5* Adams/TP7 Stiff, a 9* Cleveland SL290 with Miyazaki 43 Regular and an (Tour) 8.5* FT3 with Code 6 Soft X). Hardly any difference in distance and the flight could be changed to all be pretty similar by ball position and tee height!

MGL

Challenge Tour Pro
www.mygolf.me
i like his viewpoint! :)

though it seems to me that golf (and maybe beauty products and fine wine) is the epitome of 'pricing for what the market can stand' approach. However, i don't begrudge anyone cashing in on particular breakthroughs.

An interesting aside on the 'search for the shaft'. The last 3 rounds, i've used 3 different drivers with 3 quite different shafts (the 9.5* adams/tp7 stiff, a 9* cleveland sl290 with miyazaki 43 regular and an (tour) 8.5* ft3 with code 6 soft x). Hardly any difference in distance and the flight could be changed to all be pretty similar by ball position and tee height!

please sell me your code 6!!!!!!!!!