Low launch shaft/low spin shaft

shewy

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Looking to lower my ball flight a bit, and kill some spin, not wanting to go lower than 9 deg on the driver.Currently got a mid launch shaft and was thinking of a cheap experiment. Anyone got any opinions on a low launch/spin shaft in reg flex? SS is at 90mph and loft is not my fiend as I proved that on the LM by moving from 11 to 9 I gained 25 yards, spin was still at 3600rpm.
I was thinking maybe Aldila NV65 or Grafalloy prolaunch red or bimatrix prototype.

drawboy

Tour Winner
Visit site
I have the perfect shaft for you, Grafalloy BLUE it is currently for sale and is low launch and low spin. It has a Taylormade R11 adapter on at the moment but these are easily removed. Check out my listing in the for sale section it has reviews from Golfsmith on it.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Pro launch red is lower launching, and lower spin than the blue, which is more mid launch. I have a red in my driver. Great shaft. Reminds me a lot of the prolite 35s which preceded it, and is still the best shaft I have ever had. It's a lot of shaft, and may be hard to hit for many. The blue is certainly a good shaft, and not so demanding.

That said, I have not hit either of these in regular, only stiff.

drawboy

Tour Winner
Visit site
Not to be confused with the prolaunch blue Murph, the BLUE is a totally different beast pal, much stiffer.

drawboy

Tour Winner
Visit site
Shewy pal neither have I, too stiff for me. I'm looking for a Prolaunch Blue, much higher launch and easier to load.

scratch

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Not to be confused with the prolaunch blue Murph, the BLUE is a totally different beast pal, much stiffer.

The blue is a high launch/high spin shaft, ideal for someone that doesn't generate a lot of clubhead speed, it's not the ideal shaft for what the OP is looking for. If you want to keep the spin rate down, look for something a little bit heavier, maybe a Proforce 75 or similar.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Just to be clear, Grafalloy Blue and Grafalloy ProLaunch Blue are two completely different beasts.

PL Blue is a softish tip, high launch, high spin shaft. Blue is an old school tour standard tip stiff low launch stiff shaft. Henrik Stenson plays Blue. Nuff said. Trust me, if you play PL Blue and switch to a Blue, you will notice the difference. Even Mark Crossfield would agree.

Blue has been off the market for a few years but is being relaunched, bizarrely in a white shaft but still called Blue. Still, not for the faint hearted.

shewy

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Ethan any dealings with the bimatrix?
I did play a proforce V2 75 in an old titleist, was pretty good.
Never tried a NV85 tried the 65 and like it.

Last edited:

scratch

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Just to be clear, Grafalloy Blue and Grafalloy ProLaunch Blue are two completely different beasts.

PL Blue is a softish tip, high launch, high spin shaft. Blue is an old school tour standard tip stiff low launch stiff shaft. Henrik Stenson plays Blue. Nuff said. Trust me, if you play PL Blue and switch to a Blue, you will notice the difference. Even Mark Crossfield would agree.

Blue has been off the market for a few years but is being relaunched, bizarrely in a white shaft but still called Blue. Still, not for the faint hearted.

Got to disagree with you on this one, I used to have a blue (NOT PL blue) in an R7 driver and couldn't keep it down. I went for a TM fitting and the fitter checked my R7 on the monitor, spin rates were between 5000 and 7000 rpm depending on strike. Certainly not a low spin shaft. A Proforce 75g shaft brought the spin down to sub 3000 rpm.

SimonC

Head Pro
Visit site
How about a Fujikura Motore F1 65? Low spin as its tip stiff and won't be too expensive. You might want to look into using a stiff shaft if your goal is to keep the spin down. Also going heavier usually brings the spin down too.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Got a motore f1 75 for my driver. Heavy. Spin isn't that low. Not convinced. £100 too. Lives in the boot.

I bought my pro launch red for £50 delivered, with a 910 fitting, ready to go. Cheap as chips.

SimonC

Head Pro
Visit site
Put a Fujikura Motore Speeder 6.2 tour spec in that'll kill the spin, I have one in my 913......not cheap though and I don't think they come in regular.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I've got the new version of the prolaunch red and the old one in another driver.

The new speedcoat prolaunch red is so much easier to hit than the much heavier old version, 65g V's75 i think.

And its still goes low.

Not that cheap though, the old one can be got for as little as £20 off fleabay, the speedcoat was a fair bit more.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Got to disagree with you on this one, I used to have a blue (NOT PL blue) in an R7 driver and couldn't keep it down. I went for a TM fitting and the fitter checked my R7 on the monitor, spin rates were between 5000 and 7000 rpm depending on strike. Certainly not a low spin shaft. A Proforce 75g shaft brought the spin down to sub 3000 rpm.

Something definitely wrong there!

Graf Blue is mid flight/mid-low spin. Would have been ideal for me a while back if it had any feel! Plays stiff to flex!

Alviro Quiros is another user.

Prolaunch Red is a pretty good value shaft for this - as is the Proforce (careful though HL = High Launch). Fancy exotic? Diamana Whiteboard.

NV85 seems to be popular with/for big guys who give it quite a whack - and are looking for stability. Heard of someone having great success with it in a hybrid though.

Last edited: