Low Flight With the Driver

NorfolkShaun

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I was wondeing if someone could help me.

I seem to hit my driver very low, my friends yesterday said I maybe tee the ball up too high, my question is how high should I tee it up?

I find I hover the driver and as I do this I have a habit of deflofting the club in my set up, so should I tee up lower and stop hovering the driver or is something else I am doing wrong causing this, clearly delofting the club is not helping but is there a good way to avoid this. I am fine at a driving range and I tee up the same height there as on the course. (orange pegs with a 460cc driver)

I also set the ball up in line with my left heel for a right handed golfer.

Cheers Shaun

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
A few questions if I may
Do you ever take divots with your driver?
Does the ball move left to right in the air?
When you hit it low does it feel its from the sweet spot or towards the bottom of the face?

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
hitting a driver low and teeing the ball up too high dont go together in my head! you must be hitting down on the ball rather than sweeping it up into the air!

NorfolkShaun

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Thanks for replys, in answer to your questons;

I never take a divot with my driver. Generally my ball flight is quite srtaight but when it does go off line it normally goes left to right however it can go the other way too but not so oftern. I have to say am the moment it's not comming out of the sweet spot every time however when it does it tends to be a low drive.

MikeySQ

Medal Winner
Visit site
Make sure the butt end of the shaft points away from the target when you address the ball as this will encourage you to hit up on the ball.. Maybe a bit of extra spine tilt will help the ball up aswell:D

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
Ever thought about going and having a fitting session. It is possible that your loft is too low and the shaft is not suited to you. What driver are you using? Whats the loft and what shaft is fitted?

Dave B

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Sean.Get a friend to check your basic set up checking alignment, grip, posture and ball position as it's very easy to assume everything is ok when it's not.If your basic set up is sound and you have a reasonable swing you need to look at both the flex and loft of your driver.

NorfolkShaun

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Thanks for your posts,

Had a round today, noticed a couple of things I was doing wrong; closing the face while hovering the driver was one so holing the driver slightly lower appears to help and I also found I was swinging behind my back too much and not straight enough (if you see what I mean), still not perfect but it is much better now. All I need to do now is control my fade.