Lots of questions on what clubs to buy going through my head..HELP NEEDED PLEASE

D

Deleted Member 1156

Cast clubs can be adjusted fairly easily by an experienced clubfitter or professional, when bending them to extremes >4degrees they can break but nobody should really need clubs adjusted this much and if you do you'd probably be better fixing the issues that are causing you needing clubs with such extreme lie angles.
It is true thicker grips will inhibit club rotation and thinner grips will encourage it. HOWEVER you should use grips which feel comfortable to your hands with a neutral grip and that will be the best fit for you, so grip thickness really is all about feel and nobody can really decide this for you.

Because someone is experienced they can stop metal from snapping?

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
Obviously accidents can happen but i have heard of forged clubs breaking aswell so I wouldn't say it is only cast clubs that break

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
I could be wrong about this, but I thought the hosel notch in Pings was specifically designed to facilitate adjustment.

bm

That is exactly why the notch is there and yes of course you use heat to adjust clubs it makes the metal more malleable I would have thought that was obvious, you can bend forged clubs cold but i wouldn't try it with cast

Sweep

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
That is exactly why the notch is there and yes of course you use heat to adjust clubs it makes the metal more malleable I would have thought that was obvious, you can bend forged clubs cold but i wouldn't try it with cast
When I was fitted for my first set at Ping in Gainsborough they adjusted them by hitting them with a big lump hammer.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have seen plenty of clubs adjusted for lie and none have ever been heated, and the only time I have seen a club snap was a forged Titleist......

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
I would agree that you need to get lessons to get consistency.
Nobody can really advise on length and lie as everyone's swing is different. I'm 5'8" and my irons are standard length and 2 deg flat but a friend of mine who is of similar height has his irons set at 2 deg upright. Neither of us knew till we were fitted.
Fitting costs depends on who does it. Some do it FOC (Callaway for me for example) but others charge but the money comes off any set you buy (e.g. Titleist).
If you go to for a fitting that is not an OEM one, make sure you go to somewhere that will give you good advice and get some recommendations. You could still potentially use the results to buy a second hand set of irons then to your spec.
Also, try a number of different irons to see which one YOU feel comfortable with. Ideally on somewhere with a trackman to give you an idea of the results.

GreggerKBR

Head Pro
Visit site
Hi All first post so be kind to me

Ok here goes :-

Been playing now for a 12 month and playing off Handicap 19.4,My current clubs are Ping i3+ standard length Orange dott ( was given the clubs for free to start off )

Im now in the market for a new set of clubs or even a good quality second hand set but am unsure what to buy.

Im 6'2" tall off 19.4 so do i need a custom set of club like a set of Pings or is a set straight off the shelf ok ?

Please help any info much welcome on what set to purchase and what to look for in a good set of clubs

Thanks

Needy

Hey Needy, welcome and well done on getting to 19 in your first year!
You've done the right thing asking for advice/help.
Are you only looking at new Irons? is that 3i-PW?

I agree with other posts here in that you need to find a coach/pro that you like, and can trust first.
Do that first, then take his/her advice.

Some info -
I'm a same height as you
Currently play some Titleist irons. They are fit with KBS Tour shaft, stiff, length +.05" and 1 degree up and "midsize" grip with 1-layer tape as I have XL hands as well. I'm on about my 4th set of custom fit clubs. This set is different to all the rest.
Meaning - both clubs/technology change as does your swing. Therefore none of us can tell what will work for you.

I've always managed to get a deal, but it's always more expensive than buying standard loft/lie/length.

Once you develop your swing, it will always benefit you to have a shaft that matches up.
Only good custom fitting can do that.

I would recommend that you also buy 4i or 5i to PW, and have just two additional wedges a gap and sand wedge with same lie/loft and shaft length and grip etc.
I don't carry a 2,3, 4 iron any more - Hybrids are much more versatile and forgiving.

It's not practical to experiment with grips or upgrade your existing clubs.
Once you factor in the cost of grips etc. you may as well invest in new clubs - carefully check all the facts and figures yourself.

Good luck!

needy

Medal Winner
Visit site
Thanks everyone for your help and advise

I rang my local pro to get a idea on cost for angle change and new grips and was £80.00 hes going to get back to me with price to extend a 1" so its going to be £100 +

So i have decided to purchase new clubs , i rang American golf and the doubled trade in on my ping i3+ and offered me £110 , i know 50% of you said go to a pro but the trade in offer with them has twisted my are a little

So my next question to my new internet friends is :- Are American Golf good at custom fitting ? When i been in there in the past they certainly seam to have all mod cons OR Is it a case of "All the gear but no idea"

Thanks Again

Sweep

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

I rang my local pro to get a idea on cost for angle change and new grips and was £80.00 hes going to get back to me with price to extend a 1" so its going to be £100 +

So i have decided to purchase new clubs , i rang American golf and the doubled trade in on my ping i3+ and offered me £110 , i know 50% of you said go to a pro but the trade in offer with them has twisted my are a little

So my next question to my new internet friends is :- Are American Golf good at custom fitting ? When i been in there in the past they certainly seam to have all mod cons OR Is it a case of "All the gear but no idea"

Thanks Again
Personally I would go to an individual pro and try to get fitted when they have the manufacturers fitting guy there on a demo day. I am sure AG are OK but I think you will end up with what they want you to have and personally I have doubts on their monitor figures. As is the case with all monitors, the fitting is only as good as the fitter. At a multi-national the guy who fits you could be good or bad, they will have no reputation. An individual pro will have a reputation that can quite easily be checked,

GreggerKBR

Head Pro
Visit site

Thanks Again

Bought my Titleist irons via a Titleist fitting day at American Golf.
It was the Titleist guy, with all his kit, different shafts, lofts, etc.
So yes, you can get a good fitting there and do the deal with AG staff.

However grand the sales staff at AG are, they will not be an expert at a particular brand, and although there are proper Pro's managing the place etc. they are not what I would call "experts". So some you win, some you lose.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk

Thanks Again
In my experience AG staff are a bit hit and miss. Some are good but others I wouldn't trust their judgement when I'm spending a lot of money on new kit.

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
OR Is it a case of "All the gear but no idea"

The thing to be a little wary of is that they have 'all the gear' but will be getting paid more or less for selling different items of it for all sorts of nefarious reasons (stock etc) and you might be gently manipulated into something that suits them more than you.

Not always though (probably not often) but worth being aware of when they're giving you the old soft sell.

needy

Medal Winner
Visit site
Now thats funny you should say that , A friend of mine got fitted with a set of Pings and amazingly hes classed as standard (No way is he standard) and it so happens they had a set there for him to take away that day....WHAT A STROKE OF LUCK THAT WAS.

The thing to be a little wary of is that they have 'all the gear' but will be getting paid more or less for selling different items of it for all sorts of nefarious reasons (stock etc) and you might be gently manipulated into something that suits them more than you.

Not always though (probably not often) but worth being aware of when they're giving you the old soft sell.

Sweep

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Now thats funny you should say that , A friend of mine got fitted with a set of Pings and amazingly hes classed as standard (No way is he standard) and it so happens they had a set there for him to take away that day....WHAT A STROKE OF LUCK THAT WAS.
I think you just answered your own question :)