Lots of questions on what clubs to buy going through my head..HELP NEEDED PLEASE

needy

Medal Winner
Visit site
Hi All first post so be kind to me

Ok here goes :-

Been playing now for a 12 month and playing off Handicap 19.4,My current clubs are Ping i3+ standard length Orange dott ( was given the clubs for free to start off )

Im now in the market for a new set of clubs or even a good quality second hand set but am unsure what to buy.

Im 6'2" tall off 19.4 so do i need a custom set of club like a set of Pings or is a set straight off the shelf ok ?

Please help any info much welcome on what set to purchase and what to look for in a good set of clubs

Thanks

Needy

GG26

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
If you can afford it your best bet would be to get a club fitting from an expert. If you let us know which part of the country you are from, there are many on here who could give some good recommendations as to who to contact.

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
At 6'2 you'd probably be looking for a set 0.5 longer than standard maybe 1 degree upright, however any pro could adjust your clubs to suit. They are old but still good and many good players still use them. Lee Westwood used the same model of ping irons for 15 years that must tell you something lol. I'd highly recommended to have them adjusted and spend the money on lessons it will improve your enjoyment of the game tenfold over new irons.

needy

Medal Winner
Visit site
Thanks for the quick reply guys
Im from Newport South Wales
So do you think its worth keeping what i got ?
I can understand the angle being altered but can they be made longer without changing the shaft ? (Obviously would need new grips)
What sort of cost could it be done at ?

Sorry for asking so many question

Thanks

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
To be honest whilst longer clubs can make using shorter irons more comfortable the reason I use half Inch longer irons, shorter clubs would not have a detrimental impact on your game within reason. It's all about feel, but could you be just as good with standard length, more than likely.

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
Also don't forget that people who work in golf shops are Salesmen who certainly in the bigger retailers will tell you pretty much what you want to here for a sale however I would highly recommend if you do get new clubs not to buy or get fit from a big golf retailer because generally speaking it will be a salesman who is 'FITTING' you. money spent with a pro is the best money you can spend in golf

needy

Medal Winner
Visit site
I forgot to mention do grip size make much difference, have noticed pin do thicker grips or are they waste of money ?

shewy

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Hey needy I'm from Newport, get yourself along to Cardiff golf center on Began road near St Mellon's, great selection and custom fit, most of all very friendly and helpful

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
Grip size is all about preference, you get standard, midsized and jumbo. I play in between standard and midsized meaning I put 3 layers of tape under a standard grip because that's what I've found feels right to me. If I was you I'd probably buy a used set at a year or 2 old and spend money with a good pro, you'd be happy you did in the long run

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
At 6'2 you'd probably be looking for a set 0.5 longer than standard maybe 1 degree upright, however any pro could adjust your clubs to suit. They are old but still good and many good players still use them. Lee Westwood used the same model of ping irons for 15 years that must tell you something lol. I'd highly recommended to have them adjusted and spend the money on lessons it will improve your enjoyment of the game tenfold over new irons.

i always assumed this was the case also, but they may long arms... or alternatively a short person with very short arms. i suppose thats the benefit of CF.

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
True however, I very much doubt it and I'm sure any good honest pro would let him know if he had a lesson. Golf has become far too sales driven and it's taken alot of honesty out the game in my opinion, the big golf retailers in my opinion are doing their level best to make club pros a thing of the past

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
Youl notice I also said probably, however if he did have long arms he could use long clubs with flatter lie angles as this would compensate any difference shaft length made to lie, also you adjust your posture to club in hand so would make no difference.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
True however, I very much doubt it and I'm sure any good honest pro would let him know if he had a lesson. Golf has become far too sales driven and it's taken alot of honesty out the game in my opinion, the big golf retailers in my opinion are doing their level best to make club pros a thing of the past

yep very true. i was just commenting on the half inch longer bit. there a downsides and up with CF, but like you say a good club pro would hopefully sort the problem and not just sell them clubs to mask the problem.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
If you're off 19.4 you had to play better than 19 to get there, which suggests you've got a reasonably repeatable swing. At 6'2" you're a bit bigger than average. Find a club fitter and buy new clubs.

If during the fitting you feel you're not swinging it as you normally do, don't buy. Sometimes you might need a few sessions before you're happy.

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
You need a repeatable swing to play off 19? No disrespect to OP but i can assure you I would very much call 19.4 as a beginner and I haven't played with anybody over a 15 handicap with a 'repeatable' swing regardless of how faulty it is

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
Also please bear in mind, if you do have intentions to improve your swing will undoubtedly change with lessons therefore how you deliver club to ball hence making your custom clubs not 'fit' afterall

needy

Medal Winner
Visit site
Thanks guys your being very helpful....but still getting brain freeze lol
If i was to get a custom set at what cost would this be ??
Can all clubs be custom or just certain brands ??
If new clubs are out of my price range is it worth buying a 12 month old set and getting them custom fitted or just look for a longer set with different lie angle if so what sort of lie angle ??

Thanks Again