Loss of form!!

Marshy77

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
How do you recover from a loss of form?

I've always been a nomad until Feb of this year when I joined my first club and my golf has gone downhill ever since. Always played when and whenever and accepted that because I played once every 3/4 weeks for golf would be very up and down but mostly it was fairly good for my handicap and could knock it round mid late 90's early 00's. My last 4 rounds at my club I've shot 22, 27, 27 and 22 points, played with my social group on Friday and went round in 20 points and looked like I hadn't held a club before.

I've started having lessons again since joining my club, the last one 3 weeks ago after my first 22 and going on Wednesday too for another but I just feel totally lost when I address the ball. Feel lost over the, feel awkward like I'm figetting, moving about and trying to get the feel back but it doesn't feel right. Get the odd drive away but dont have any distance at all. My fairway/hybrids are so hit and miss. My G10 was always my go to club, hit it on the 17th wild right OOB, dropped another ball down and without thinking about it just hit and hit iit so sweet that one of my 4balls partners was amazed that I hit the same club and got 2 totally different shots and thats how my game is at the moment.

Went back to hitting my long irons again instead of the hybrid and on a couple of shots I hit my 6 iron and pathetic 120 yards! Never been a long hitter but used to get 150/160 out of my 6.

My putting is the same, stand over the ball and can't get comfy, can easily miss from within 6 feet and maybe even 2/3 putt from there. Got a putting lesson booked with my club pro so hopefully I can get some pointers and confidence back with that.

How do you go about trying to get some confidence/form back? Do you grind it out at the driving range, do you play it out or do you just accept that your going to hit bad form and deal with it?

UlyssesSky

Head Pro
Visit site
Can't offer any advice, but I know exactly how you feel, if that helps... :(

I'm a member at a 9 hole course and shot regularly 10 over at the end of last season, which was my first season. Had a bunch of lessons throughout the winter, things were going great and I really expected my handicap to drop quick once the new season startet. I played quite well until the end of march but it's all gone downhill from there.
My last rounds were between 12 and 15 over, in my two first tournaments I played 35/36 points respectively.

Whenever I make a mistake on the course, I tend to follow up with at least another one. E.g. today I topped my tee shot, then went on to hook my lay-up into the rough only to chunk the following pitch.

I thought it maybe was in my head, so I tried not to care about my score (still keeping the score for the individual holes), but when I added up the numbers after the round they were just as bad as when I cared about what I shoot. Only upside is the rounds where I didn't care about my score were much less frustrating and I actually had a lot of fun on the course, despite my miserable play.

For now I've decided to keep on not caring,

For now I've decided to just keep on playing and not care about the score too much. Hopefully things will fall back into place soon, as I'm not sure what else I should try...

Norrin Radd

Tour Winner
Visit site
unless your swing has changed all of a sudden i would put your form loss down to maybe a little too much going on between the ears. .the more you struggle the more you start thinking about it .
just trust your swing with as little thought about it going on .
i think it was Arnie Palmer who said ,the last place to give yourself a lesson is on your downswing.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
How much have you worked on the drills from the lessons? It takes time to ingrain changes and from bitter experience I know that you can go backwards before you make progress. Stick with it, trust what you've been shown, and try not to have too many thoughts over the ball. Why not go back and chat to the pro you have lessons with and explain what's going on and see what he says. It may be a small thing he can fix in five minutes on the range

Siren

Tour Rookie
Visit site
From what you have said you have far 2 much going on in your head while your over the ball.

The course is where you play, the range is where you think and work through things.

Marshy77

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
From what you have said you have far 2 much going on in your head while your over the ball.

The course is where you play, the range is where you think and work through things.

Yes this is true, too much going on and possibly trying to play better than I am. Got a lesson this week so will speak to the pro and get to work on the practice ground.

Cheers guys.

BrizoH71

Tour Rookie
brianhealy.net
Can empathise; I'm in the middle of my worst run of form for some time.. seven handicap counters played, seven 0.1s gained and not even a sniff of buffer.

I know the game is there, I've played some good stuff in the early part of the season; but I'm struggling to recover from a bad hole, once that has been hit, it is curtains for the card and I'm throwing in the towel too easily as my confidence goes.

I'm at the range twice a week, and two hours before any competition tee-time; I feel fine on the range, but the course is a different beast.

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de
New course, new people (who are watching your every move or at least that's what it feels like for you, even if they don't give a damn), technical changes from the lessons that haven't completely sunken in yet ... it's not a loss of form, it is most likely pressure you are putting on yourself. You will just need a bit of time to adapt to the changes. The sooner you let go of expectations how you think you should perform and just relax into the new situation, the sooner you will play well again.

D

Deleted member 18121

I've started having lessons again since joining my club, the last one 3 weeks ago

That for me was the problem that started 4 months of absolutely abysmal golf... and because of that I am reticent to ever have a lesson again. I'd rather go and work it out myself and just enjoy swinging my bat around the course.

time to chill and relax into it