Losing a lot of golf in the area

D-S

Visit site
With the other thread about Hirsel closing (a course I don’t know). it’s perhaps a good time to post about the amount of closures which we have coming up in our area.
Tracy Park, off the M4 towards Bath, a decent 36 hole hotel venue with 500 members has been sold to a private person who will not be running as a golf club or opening it to golfers, it closes at the end of the month. Woodlands a pay and play 36 hole facility at the junction of the M4 and M5 is closing as it has been sold for houses. Woodspring near Bristol airport, a Peter Allis / Clive Clark 27 hole club will be shutting in the next few years as it will be used for housing, they are closed to new members and only has a handful last year. Farrington has changed from an 18 hole course to a 12 (?) hole course and lost all its members, Westonbirt is closing as a members club and running as a limited pay and play facility.
There are no new courses being built. Getting a membership or a game in this part of the world is going to be difficult for some years to come.
It’s all a bit sad really.

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
Wow. But not surprising. Land is being built on everywhere. The housing estates that have gone up locally is astounding. And they fill them as soon as they are built, in fact have a waiting list. Just where are all these people coming from?

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Not great news.. but sad to note they are all at the "entry" level of golf in the area, many folk started playing at Woodlands or TP.

Prices and tee time pressure will increase at places like The Bristol and Thornbury.
Don’t think I ever played Woodlands when living in Bristle…but played TP a good few times in inter club matches and found the course fine…though the members club seemed to be pretty subsidiary to the needs of the hotel.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Maidenhead is due to be sold although that seems to have stalled due to an appeal. Wimbledon Park went to the LTA. Sutton Green in Guildford I heard was shutting but still seems to be operating for now. Sutton Green was only built in 1994 but the other two were long established

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I had heard about a few of the closures but some are news to me. As IanM mentioned, most are at the lower end of the scale so I suspect that a lot of people won't be able to afford to move to the like of the Kendleshire, Castle Combe and Players - even if they could get through the long waiting lists.

D-S

Visit site
I had heard about a few of the closures but some are news to me. As IanM mentioned, most are at the lower end of the scale so I suspect that a lot of people won't be able to afford to move to the like of the Kendleshire, Castle Combe and Players - even if they could get through the long waiting lists.
You’re right, although Tracy Park had a lot of money spent on it recently. We did the rating of one 18 a few years ago and they had spent a lot on improving the conditioning with more staff and kit. The hotel was upgraded and they had built a beautiful Bath stone ProShop and cafe bar. It looked like it was really going places but it has had a lot of owners over the years.
Farrrington closing put a lot of pressure on the Taunton courses.
Already Sodbury and the Players are turning away new members as they got so many from TP.
It is not good for the future of golf.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
You’re right, although Tracy Park had a lot of money spent on it recently. We did the rating of one 18 a few years ago and they had spent a lot on improving the conditioning with more staff and kit. The hotel was upgraded and they had built a beautiful Bath stone ProShop and cafe bar. It looked like it was really going places but it has had a lot of owners over the years.
Farrrington closing put a lot of pressure on the Taunton courses.
Already Sodbury and the Players are turning away new members as they got so many from TP.
It is not good for the future of golf.
Played Tracy Park earlier this year on a Society day and they were doing a lot of work, putting in new drainage channels, clearing areas, etc so was a big surprise to hear about the closure - probably abut 6-8 weeks after we played.
Similar with Woodlands, when I first played there about 10 years ago, it was £10 a round for military and it was priced correctly! They then developed the 2nd 18 and it became a decent course for a fun knock around. To spend all the money and then sell for houses seems a bit strange to me.

nicolasjsmith

Visit site
Maidenhead is due to be sold although that seems to have stalled due to an appeal. Wimbledon Park went to the LTA. Sutton Green in Guildford I heard was shutting but still seems to be operating for now. Sutton Green was only built in 1994 but the other two were long established
Hersham (where I play quite a lot) looks like it's going to close this year for housing :(

apj0524

Head Pro
Visit site
With the other thread about Hirsel closing (a course I don’t know). it’s perhaps a good time to post about the amount of closures which we have coming up in our area.
Tracy Park, off the M4 towards Bath, a decent 36 hole hotel venue with 500 members has been sold to a private person who will not be running as a golf club or opening it to golfers, it closes at the end of the month. Woodlands a pay and play 36 hole facility at the junction of the M4 and M5 is closing as it has been sold for houses. Woodspring near Bristol airport, a Peter Allis / Clive Clark 27 hole club will be shutting in the next few years as it will be used for housing, they are closed to new members and only has a handful last year. Farrington has changed from an 18 hole course to a 12 (?) hole course and lost all its members, Westonbirt is closing as a members club and running as a limited pay and play facility.
There are no new courses being built. Getting a membership or a game in this part of the world is going to be difficult for some years to come.
There is also a a rumour that Brean is going to be a 9 hole course for more caravans

Grizzly

Visit site

Glad to hear that, had some enjoyable rounds at Maidenhead.

In London, Whitewebbs and Ruislip have gone, though neither will be much lamented. Batchworth Park is hanging on by a thread.

Paulienash

Visit site
So it is true that Woodlands is being sold, they had/have a big sign saying it was all a rumour. We play there quite a lot mainly because you can just rock up pay your £20 and go straight on and its generally in OK condition.

I was wondering why I hadn't been receiving any joining offers from the other Bristol courses.

Burnsey

Visit site
The closures are simply a reflection of the economy.

Clubs charging way too much for joining and membership, pro shops trying to sell equipment much dearer than can now be found online etc.

One local course was sold to a developer, who failed to gain consent and is now a mess. Many clubs need updating and the revenue does not cover those updates, so they can only levy the members, which is going against the economic status.

Ye Olde Boomer

Visit site
Here in the US, where housing is both in short supply and hideously expensive,
prime property is far too valuable as house lots to be used for golf.

I can see a problem coming up really soon.