Looking to join a club near Reigate, Surrey

Luca4

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Any and all help appreciated.

I am looking to join a club in the very near future, and am spoilt for choice with courses locally.
However I have narrowed the choice down to two, Reigate Heath or Bletchingly.Reigate Heath is an old 9 hole, Bletchingley a newer 18. Both have similar practice facilities. What else do I look out for, any hints or tips?
Does anyone have any experience of either, or suggestions of any alternatives?

Cheers

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Bletchingly last year was in terrible condition, that much do that a society I use to play with got partially refunded as the greens mid summer were almost unplayable

Have you looked at reigate hit, woodcote park, Surrey downs?

SHiiBBZ

Club Champion
Visit site
Haven't played Heath or Bletchingley, but played Reigate Hill at the weekend. Absolutely fabulous course. Loved it.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
so much will depend on when you wish to play your golf (midweek/senior or weekend mornings), social or club comps/matches as well as the location situation.

if you are in Blethcingly, or Godstone, then there are number of courses to consider but the above question is the primary one to establish IMO

Banzai

Medal Winner
Visit site
I have only played Reigate Hill once and hated it, it was POURING with rain and howling a gale which may have been a factor in that though.

danjlund5

Visit site
Id recommend the Altonwood Membership, which allows you to play Woldingham, Westerham, Addington, Surrey D and Godstone at reduced rates.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
btw, for those who have responded re Reigate Hill GC - this is a completely different course to the one referenced by the OP; it's difficult to get 2 more different courses and membership set ups than Reigate Hill and Reigate Heath!

Luca4

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Thanks for the input guys, I live in Reigate so I was looking out from there.
I was a member at Reigate Hill about 10 years ago when I first moved down here, maybe I shouldn't be so quick to dismiss it, definitely worth another look by the sound of it. The practice area sounds like it has improved immensely.
I have played Farleigh a couple of times, and didn't think much of it the first time round, played it again, and even though the weather was bad it felt like a completely different course and I loved it, very odd. Maybe I was just swinging better!

I am just getting back into playing "proper" golf after spending the last few years just playing the odd corporate golf days and society days. So am keen to improve, test myself and put some practice in.

Most of my golf will be weekends and after my little one has gone to bed in the summer.

Luca4

Assistant Pro
Visit site
BGC is £1280 Heath is £1080 but offering a "gateway" membership with 25% off for the first year so £880ish
Not sure I can stretch much past £1300

Luca4

Assistant Pro
Visit site
btw, for those who have responded re Reigate Hill GC - this is a completely different course to the one referenced by the OP; it's difficult to get 2 more different courses and membership set ups than Reigate Hill and Reigate Heath!

Care to expand on the final comment ? Sounds like the kind of information that could be useful

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Care to expand on the final comment ? Sounds like the kind of information that could be useful

well, as you will surely realise, one of them is a members golf club with 115 years of history and the other is a commercial wedding, conference centre with a golf course....

actually this is an oversimplification because Reigate Hill prides itself on it's members feel and focus - if you have been a members there you will know how true this pans out in practice (I've only visited for tournament play) and it does have a much better reputation in this area than some of the other propitiatory operations in the area. I would put it well ahead of Bletchingly as a course and for access as an example (and we play matches with them).

Limpsfield Chart isn't that far from you and has a similar set up to Reigate Heath in many respects, and currently has membership offers - a very very members feel to it there but weak practice facilities (use the course!).

looking at your aims and aspirations you will certainly develop a more rounded game at Reigate Hill - but I would much rather play a summer evening 9 holes at Reigate Heath or Limpsfield.

There has never been more choice in that area - changing demographics have led to access to clubs that have previously had long waiting lists and joining fees. North Downs is another to consider and is offering amazing value relative to only 5 years ago (by my reckoning it's less than £20 per week for 7 day membership deal to May 2016!)

TaylormadePhil

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I played Reigate Hill GC about 3 years ago and although the course was a good examination of your golf, I was put off by a couple of things.. The complete disregard by the greenkeepers for the large weeds growing in quite a few bunkers.. Also the fact that i had to pay £25 for my round, despite the fact that I was out with a couple of members

Luca4

Assistant Pro
Visit site
So of my options so far you would put Reigate Hill and North Downs at the top .? Thanks very much for the input, and the stear on NDGC, what are the practice facilities like at ND?
Cheers
Rich

Last edited:

Crawley1981

Assistant Pro
Visit site
If your considering North Downs then personally think you would be far better off joing one of the altonwood courses (Woldingham, Surrey National, Westerham and Godstone). You can also play all courses mon-Thurs included.

Im a member at Woldingham having previously been at North Downs but found Woldingham to be in so much better condition in winter months even if it isn't the most difficult of courses.

also Altonwood are currently offering three months trial membership from £100 which i did last year and ended up joining and they refunded this money so i ended up getting 16 months golf for the price of 12.

Last edited:

Luca4

Assistant Pro
Visit site
If your considering North Downs then personally think you would be far better off joing one of the altonwood courses (Woldingham, Surrey National, Westerham and Godstone). You can also play all courses mon-Thurs included.

Im a member at Woldingham having previously been at North Downs but found Woldingham to be in so much better condition in winter months even if it isn't the most difficult of courses.

also Altonwood are currently offering three months trial membership from £100 which i did last year and ended up joining and they refunded this money so i ended up getting 16 months golf for the price of 12.

Yes but if they don't respond to an email asking for membership details and prices then it is unlikely that I will pursue my enquiry, amazing to read hear about declining numbers at golf clubs when they can't even deal with a basic request. Reigate Hill on the other hand have followed up my email with an email response and a phone call.
It's not just Altonwood, but the difference in quality and speed of response is amazing across a number of clubs that I have contacted.