Looking to get a bit more serious

TQ1

Visit site
I've been "playing" (I use the term loosely!) golf now for over six years. I've only ever played 9 hole, par 3, pitch and putt courses and to be honest I haven't seen any improvement in my game for years.

As part of my new years resolutions I want to get into golf more seriously. I'm looking to get a lot more consistent and improve my skills up to the point where I will feel comfortable playing a full 18 holes without embarrassing myself.

I'm not looking to become a pro over night and I think I know what aspects I need to focus on (grip, stance and putting to start with) to get to a level where I can play with my friends without looking like an idiot!

My question is what would be the best method to go about this? I don't have a lot of money (I proposed to my girlfriend on Christmas day so any spare money needs to go into the wedding fund!), but I am willing to put a bit of time in. I currently own a half set of clubs and I can't justify buying a new set. Would it be of any benefit to have a couple of lessons with a pro? I've heard that you'll only really see the benefit from a good course of lessons which currently I can't afford. Other than that what would people recommend? I've got a couple of books and got a DVD for Christmas which I've yet to watch, do people think this will help?

Also what's the best method to practice? I find it hard to spend more than about an hour on the driving range as I get bored, the same applies to the practice green. If I'm not going to improve without forcing myself to stay a bit longer I will but if anyone has any tips to make this easier I'd love to hear them.

What have other people found effective for some basic gains in consistency?

drawboy

Tour Winner
Visit site
First of all many congratulations on your engagement.In order to play good golf you need to get the fundamentals of the game right from the start. Good grip,posture, swing plane, rhythm. There are things you can learn from books such as grip and posture with the help of a friend or mirror if needed. The rest needs hands on help either from a pro or a golfer of good standard, single figure preferably. Anyone with higher handicaps inevitably will only pass on bad habits to you.There is no substitute for a lesson and one can cost less than a round on a municipal course. If you can stretch your budget to a few lessons you will see a dramatic improvement in your game. Good luck.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Lessons for sure. Don't spend too much time whaling drives on the range, but if there is a short game area where you can chip, putt and play bunker shots, spend plenty of time there. You can play games to make it more interesting. Try pitching a ball to a given distance, then leaving the next one 5 yards short of the first, and the next one five yards short of that etc etc, all with the same club. Then switch clubs and try it in reverse, starting with a quarter shot and getting progressively further in 5 yard steps. Gives some idea of feel for distance.

On the range, make the time useful. Choose a target about a 6 or 7 iron distance away, and see if you can hit 4 shots to it - one high, one low, one draw, one fade.

TQ1

Visit site
Thanks for the quick replies. I've had a bit of a scout around and it looks like I can get lessons locally at either £95 for 5 half hours and a nine hole game or at another course £100 for 3 forty minutes and a nine hole game. To me that looks like it would work out to be about £40 a month. I'll have to see what I can swing with the missus!

I forgot to mention about my mental game. As soon as I hit a couple of bad shots my game goes right out the window. What's the best method to deal with this? I've played a couple of rounds (9 Holes) and have been in contention up until the fifth or sixth then fluffed them up and completely ruined the remaining holes.

I also meant to ask if there was anyone on here who was local to me and might fancy playing with an embarrassingly bad youngster! I could do with a few people to play with who could give me the occasional tip and put up with me mishitting most of my shots!

As an alternative to that what are people's opinion to playing on your own?

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
Welcome TQ1.

If you want to graduate from 9 hole P&P, why not have a few lessons, get in some practice and go for it!

I started on 9 holers (full size, more or less) and crashed and burned my way through my first full 18 with getting on for 120 shots. But once I got the bug, I went for a few more lessons (I'd had 3 starter ones) and went to the range once or twice a week, then joined a club.

Without giving too much away, where are you? do you have a local range? and do you think you'd join up somewhere or just pay and play?

Send me a PM if you want, I might be local to you.

TQ1

Visit site
I live in Highley (about seven miles from Bridgnorth). No local range but I do almost go past one on my way home from work so it's not too hard to hit a basket or two a couple of times a week.

I'd love to join a club but I don't think it'd be worth it. My local course (Severn Meadows) has a membership fee of £450 if i remember correctly but the green fees are only £25 (or £10 if you're with a member). I don't think I'd ever play enough to make it worth while.

rickg

Money List Winner
Visit site
if you're on a tight budget then you can't beat youtube for free lessons. Shawn Clement has a good selection. The link below has his lessons grouped, ie set up, short game, mental game etc,
http://web.mac.com/shawnclement/Site/You_Tube_Shawn.html

Clearly these will never take the place of a proper lesson with a pro, but they will give you a few ideas and drills to work on at the range to make your session more enjoyable.

TQ1

Visit site
I'll definitely take a look at you tube. My budget is incredibly tight! I'm going to struggle to justify green fees let alone lessons! I'm just hoping the weather gets a bit better so I can get out and play soon.

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
I know the area you are in, but not the Golf Club I must say.
Depending on how mobile you are, you might just about be able to get over to some of the Birmingham Golf Link circuit clubs.
http://www.birmingham.gov.uk/golf
I got started at one of these. There used to be a few members at the Lickey Hills who also played at Hagley and/or Wharton Park (Bewdley).
Worfield might be a place to consider too.
http://www.worfieldgolf.co.uk/green_fees
If you ever get up to Shrewsbury, there's always this
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meole_Brace_Municipal_Golf_Course

TQ1

Visit site
Worfields only about 15 minutes away and Wharton Park is about 20 minutes. Just need to find someone to play with (and ideally give me some tips) and I can get started.

MarkS

Assistant Pro
Visit site
hi matey, wheer exactly do you live? Do you ever get to Telford as the Shropshire GC has 3 great 9 holes and a good teaching pro

i am in N Shropshire and often have to play by myself......well Kristie is pregnant ;-)

AMcC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I would also recommend at least two lessons. Ask friends or other forumers who are recent beginners, who they used and would they recommend them. At least then you could practice sound essentials the pro will have given you, the second lesson could be a catch up as you will not take everything in first time. Also try and take notes as soon as the lesson finishes and you will remember more. You could then practice and continue to play with a more solid base / understanding.
Good luck on trying to improve and the more you play with beter players the more you feel comfortable and less intimidated and so enhance your confidence.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I think lessons have to be a starting point even if its just a couple to get the basics right. Like anything if the foundations are weak then everything built on top will be shaky. Get you grip, alignment, stance and posture right and you'll be set. You're fortunate in that you won't have too many of the bad habits ingrained into your swing that many of us carry around in our own

Timh27

Head Pro
Visit site
If you are on a tight budget you could try a course of group lessons. I was going to do some myself but the pro couldnt get enough interest. A course local to me did a deal with 4 hours worth of lessons and 1 months unlimited use on its 9 hole course for £45. It might be worth ringing round to see if any of your local clubs are doing anything like that ;)