Looking for tournament ideas ??

firestone

Hacker
Visit site
I am the tournament director for Green River Golf Club and am wondering what kind of tournament you, (the golfer) would like to participate in? I have planned a few tournaments this year with dismal results. Any ideas???? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

B

birdieman

Personally I'd be drawn to a standard strokeplay Open (max handicap 9) that offered reasonable entry fee (£20 max) against decent prizes i.e £150 for first scratch going down £100 for 2nd, £75 3rd etc and a bit less for 1,2,3 in handicap section.

Don't really do doubles and Texas is strictly an opening/closing of season affair at home club only.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Are you talking about tournaments for your own club golfers, or opens for guests?

At my club we now have a few members afternoons, where there is a fun 4 ball competition, say yellow ball, or some other team game (not scramble, as we have a seperate florida and texas in spring / autumn), which can be mixed, men, junior what ever, with some prizes (not expensive, £40 ish) for best team in category. As an option afterwards there is a themed supper night, so those that want to can stay on afterwards. These seem popular, but tehn we never have any problems getting members for events, golf or social.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Most of the guys I play with hate bogey. It is always very unpopular.

Foursomes or greensomes comps can be fun, but not at the weekend for your only round of golf.

Mixed foursomes 5 club bogey is a definate no.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
I like slight variations on a regular format.

For example, a flag competition. This works as a variation on a stroke/medal round. Each player gets their full allowance of shots and plays out their total. The player who gets furthest around, say onto the first green or second fairway, plants a flag. The player who advances the flag furthest wins.

The good thing about this is that it allows some late excitement. A player who has 3 shots left over after 18 can beat a player who has 4, if he birdies the first against a bogey by the other guy.

I also like Versus Par (aka Bogey). This is matchplay with full shots against net par. You have a shot on a hole, and score a net birdie - you win the hole. Net bogey or worse, you lose. Works a bit like stableford in that really bad holes don't hurt much more than slightly bad.

Robobum

Money List Winner
Visit site
Most of the guys I play with hate bogey. It is always very unpopular.

What's the issue with a bogey Murph??

Hardly any different to a stableford really - crap hole, pick up and move on.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
It doesn't bother me, but if I stand in the Pro shop when guys come in to check in they go: is it medal today, no it's bogey, oh, should have stayed in bed. People don't understand it, and just hate it. Every one thinks they will get 18 eagles, which count for nothing. Half of them mark the card wrong and get d/q'ed too. Daft, but true.

Mike_j_golf

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
3 person team event 1 to score on the first 6 2 on the next 6 and all 3 on the last 6, for open comps I like to play 3or4 man team events as opposed to single stableford as if the team is doing ok it keeps you interested even if u are having a off day

Robobum

Money List Winner
Visit site
....People don't understand it.....

That's probably the crux of it.

I think bogey is prime for a corporate syle name change to improve it's image, or a Gok Wan makeover or something!! :D

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
It doesn't bother me, but if I stand in the Pro shop when guys come in to check in they go: is it medal today, no it's bogey, oh, should have stayed in bed. People don't understand it, and just hate it. Every one thinks they will get 18 eagles, which count for nothing. Half of them mark the card wrong and get d/q'ed too. Daft, but true.

Murph

Does your club attract members, present company excepted, of course, who are completely thick?

Bogey is one of the simplest format around. I assume the members are familiar with matchplay, so it should suffice if you write in big letters:

If you get 3 or more points, you win the hole
If you get 2 points, you halve the hole
If you get 1 point or less, you lose

Total number of wins - total number of losses = result.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I agree that bogey is a mystery too many and can't fathom out why. Its really just another type of matchplay. Back to the OP and assuming it is for an open event then I think strokeplay has to be the way. Depending on how big you want to make it, how much buy in you get fromt he course etc you could always do a proper 4 day one with a halfway cut (or scale it down to 2 days with and 18 hole cut).

I wouldn't necessarily limit it to single figure and below although I can see where birdieman is coming from (and there a lot of 10-15's out there who are really single figures and pot hunters). Instead I'd have a singles event and one for say 10-18 too to make sure you get maximim interest.

However as Green River seems to be in Orango CA there is little chance of any of us actually competing.

Owen_Thomas_14

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I would like to see a 4 day strokeplay event like what the pros have and the top half of the field get through to last 2 days. Would have to be done during the summer months though.

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
During the centenary celebrations at Crowborough in 1995, we had a good competition one day where the mens and ladies captains went out and played the course.
On each hole, the score they made was written on a card and placed in a prominent position at the back of the green.
We then went out and tried to beat them in matchplay.
It was quite good fun if I remember rightly.

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site

Murph

Does your club attract members, present company excepted, of course, who are completely thick?

Bogey is one of the simplest format around. I assume the members are familiar with matchplay, so it should suffice if you write in big letters:

don't recognise this as bogey!
the way we play it's you against the course matchplay style.
equal your par (ie hole par + your allowance) hole is halved, better your par hole is won, worse than your par hole is lost - how hard is that?

mind you it's a tough/individually challenging format - though I won a society trophy playing this.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site

Murph

don't recognise this as bogey!
the way we play it's you against the course matchplay style.
equal your par (ie hole par + your allowance) hole is halved, better your par hole is won, worse than your par hole is lost - how hard is that?

mind you it's a tough/individually challenging format - though I won a society trophy playing this.

Viscount

You are right. I was just translating it into Stableford to show that it is not frightening for the hard of thinking.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
People don't like it, and don't want to understand it. It is simple, but no one wants to play it. For me, I like it as my odd 9 counts for a loss which I can easily make up. I am in a minority at my club.