Looking for those next set of clubs - £600 Budget

OllieM

Visit site
Hi all,

I’ve been playing golf at an entry level standard for around a year now. I enjoy the game and I’m hoping I can dedicate a little more time in playing and improving my game now.

I currently use a standard Wilson box set of clubs bought second hand which I’ve found are okay, however I’m now looking to invest in a set of a minimum of 10 new clubs for around £600. I’m looking for clubs that offer good forgiveness and game improvement.

I’ve noticed a set of Callaway X2 Hot for £550 brand new (link at bottom). I know these clubs are from a model a few years old but that seems a great price. Can anyone agree with me on this or make any suitable alternatives or if I could get more for my money spending elsewhere? They appear to fit someone with a high handicap such as myself quite well.

https://www.clubhousegolf.co.uk/aca...M2mGg8zpB5gz88b5LxZGUUSft96xwU6RoCDeAQAvD_BwE

Thanks,

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I think with iron sets you get much better value getting a 2-to-5-year-old set second hand. Have a look on Golfbidder.co.uk at the iron sets on there to get an idea. They're not the cheapest but they have a wide variety, and a useful handicap rating, where obviously the higher that is the more forgiving the clubs are in their opinion. (Sorry @HomerJSimpson for nicking your commission this time.)

I don't think there's much point replacing a starter set of Wilsons with essentially a starter set of Callaway. Going down the second hand route you can piece together some good bits of kit for the money, and you're not limited to one brand obviously. You could get some good irons for £400 quid, and a driver for £100 that would probably be a lot better than the driver from a starter set of X2 Hots.

backtogolf

Visit site
I'm caveating my response with the fact that i am not an expert - far from it. Very far from it. But talking about full starter sets from big brands reminded me of this youtube vid that you might find interesting.

That being said, i am a massive fan of second hand clubs and thats where all my recent purchases are from.

jamiet7682

Visit site
I put my set together for sub £500, used a few different avenues. Used ping driver off a nice fellow on here, used Ping fairway woods off a guy on FB market place, ex demo callaway xr irons, new fazer lob wedge and wilson staff stand bag out american golf, new callaway xr hybrid from decathalon. Just need to replace the putter i inherited and thats my set sorted for a few years.

Sats

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
If you're spending £550 on irons I'd get fitted - you may spend a little more but if you're trying to improve I'd get fitted. (Obviously get lessons/practice)

Also £550 for X2 Hots is in my opinion is quite expensive even for new. If you do want to look at 2nd hand I'd shop around cause I'd expect x2hots to be around £300-350 tops especially as you can get Callaway Rogue for less than £500.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
i would have a look at golfclubs4cash, they have tons of stuff.

I would go this way too.

I had X2Hot Callaways a few years back and they certainly are very good clubs but at that price I'd definitely not buy them, I think they were cheaper when I bought them back when they were a current model

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
I'd be inclined to agree that you probably won't notice much difference between Wilsons and something similar from a different manufacturer.

Unless you were changing dramatically in terms of shaft flex or needed non-standard lies / lofts, I think your money is better spent elsewhere if you want to see performance benefits.

Drivers and woods tend to have a lot more options that you would customise to suit your game, and the fact you hit them with more speed, means it's more important these clubs are correct for you - especially Driver.

With this regard you have 2 options.
1 - guess what kind of driver you need (i.e. for an average swing speed, hitting driver 200 to 250 yards, you will probably require a reg flex, c 10.5 loft, and would prefer any weight to be in the rear of the head in order to help with launch and provide a bigger sweet spot). But not an exact science.

2 - go and get fitted, which means you will likely spend £500+ on a new driver.

If you choose option 1, then you can go through a bit of trial and error in terms of maybe hitting used clubs or demos at a range and you can also buy a few 2nd hand clubs to try (and have a reasonable chance of getting most of your money back if you sell them on). If you buy a new club for £500, you've effectively lost £150 on day 1.

Option 1 is the cost effective option, but requires a bit of discipline and also you have to live with the knowledge that this club may not be 100% the best club, but it's acceptable. Whatever clubs you get, you'll hit bad shots and good shots with. I guess there are people who get into terrible trouble buying and selling 2nd hand clubs every week or month and never being satisfied.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
If you're spending £550 on irons I'd get fitted - you may spend a little more but if you're trying to improve I'd get fitted. (Obviously get lessons/practice)

Also £550 for X2 Hots is in my opinion is quite expensive even for new. If you do want to look at 2nd hand I'd shop around cause I'd expect x2hots to be around £300-350 tops especially as you can get Callaway Rogue for less than £500.

The £550 is for a full set and not just irons

Sats

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
The £550 is for a full set and not just irons

Oh the re-release set that they did with the Xhot etc. Then that's an alright deal for £550, however, if you've just come from one box set to another I'm not sure what the OP will actually get out of that other than they say callaway and are shiny.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I think with iron sets you get much better value getting a 2-to-5-year-old set second hand. Have a look on Golfbidder.co.uk at the iron sets on there to get an idea. They're not the cheapest but they have a wide variety, and a useful handicap rating, where obviously the higher that is the more forgiving the clubs are in their opinion. (Sorry @HomerJSimpson for nicking your commission this time.)

I don't think there's much point replacing a starter set of Wilsons with essentially a starter set of Callaway. Going down the second hand route you can piece together some good bits of kit for the money, and you're not limited to one brand obviously. You could get some good irons for £400 quid, and a driver for £100 that would probably be a lot better than the driver from a starter set of X2 Hots.

Don't apologise. I simply think (and no I'm not affiliated or on commission) they have a huge stock, good descriptions of the condition and they offer a 7 day return policy. It depends what the OP wants but the clubs he has his eyes on seem steep. I think you could easily get a full bag of good second hand clubs for his budget

Canary Kid

Assistant Pro
Visit site
+1 for golfbidder. Slightly more expensive, but good service, a guarantee that they are genuine clubs and a good returns policy. Even if buying elsewhere, their handicap guide for each make/model is a useful guide for mid/high handicappers.

Springveldt

Visit site
I’m selling my Ping i210’s 4-PW for £450 if your interested?
The only thing is they have KBS Tour 130 X shafts ?
Not exactly new player friendly are they? :D

Hi all,

I’ve been playing golf at an entry level standard for around a year now. I enjoy the game and I’m hoping I can dedicate a little more time in playing and improving my game now.

I currently use a standard Wilson box set of clubs bought second hand which I’ve found are okay, however I’m now looking to invest in a set of a minimum of 10 new clubs for around £600. I’m looking for clubs that offer good forgiveness and game improvement.

I’ve noticed a set of Callaway X2 Hot for £550 brand new (link at bottom). I know these clubs are from a model a few years old but that seems a great price. Can anyone agree with me on this or make any suitable alternatives or if I could get more for my money spending elsewhere? They appear to fit someone with a high handicap such as myself quite well.

https://www.clubhousegolf.co.uk/aca...M2mGg8zpB5gz88b5LxZGUUSft96xwU6RoCDeAQAvD_BwE

Thanks,
I actually think these decent value. You are getting a Driver, 3W, 5H, 6 irons and a White Hot putter for £600 for a big name brand. The driver was nearly £300 when it was released and even now Golfbidder are asking for £100 for it. If I were just starting out I'd be very tempted by that set tbh.

I know he isn't everyone's cup of tea but Crossfield has been hitting a few older drivers in some recent videos and they all still perform pretty good.

OllieM

Visit site
Latest Update: Made the first step and have recently purchased a nice set of Callaway Rogue Irons in very good condition and affordable price off their preowned website. Look and feel great.

Last edited:

Diamond

Visit site
Latest Update: Made the first step and have recently purchased a nice set of Callaway Rogue Irons in very good condition and affordable price off their preowned website. Look and feel great.
I bought the X Hot 2 bundle last year. Also invested in a rogue hybrid and Callaway Lob wedge. Can’t fault them but sounds like you some good clubs now.

sunshine

Visit site
If you like Callaway clubs, why don't you spend £450 on the Mavrik driver so you can hit bombs. The other stuff doesn't matter, you've got £150 left which is plenty to get any old irons.:p