Looking for new irons.

Basher

Tour Winner
yorkshiregolf.proboards.com
I have money burning a hole in my pocket.

I've been considering buying some different irons for a while now. Having owned my Mizzy MX-17s for quite some time I fancy a change.
I am liking the look of the Ping G20's or 15's. There are several places near me where I could get fitted but to be honest the price of buying new scares me.
Ideally I'd like to get fitted and find out what is the best club for me in the Ping range, then buy, probably used clubs. Is this possible at a local Ping stockist?

Alternatively, what other good choices of irons are out there for a high handicapper (improving) looking to lower his handicap?

drawboy

Tour Winner
Visit site
Go get fitted at a range, most have Ping fitting. You will usually play a small fee for the fitting which is refunded on purchase of any new gear. Once fitted then you can buy any Ping iron and get your pro to send them off to Gainsborough for alteration by Ping for free.
That way you can buy from Ebay, Golfbidder or used Ping. You may find even some on the forum.

Wolfman

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I have been using Ping G10 irons and decided to upgrade and find irons that were more compact
Tried the Mizuno JPX800 and the Wilson Di11 and the Wilson Ci9 which are very compact

In the end i hit all of them well but for me the Ci9 was the set i chose as the heads were more compact and they look very very nice, good prices at the moment as the Ci11 has arrived

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
If you go to Ping you are now obliged to show your winter fuel allowance card! Anything Taylor Made will be discounted as they are about to bring out this quarters new stock!

Make sure you get properly fitted, no matter what handicap, it has to help

Chris

Mattyboy

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Basher, go to Ping in Gainsborough - book through your Pro. It costs £30 so dont be worried about not buiyng anything from them. I went up there last summer and I know a few other forumers have done the same. They know their onions and its got to be closer to you (Yorkshire) than me.

I was fitted for irons, wedges and putter. I brought the Putter (which has been a revelation IMO) and the wedges. Got the irons from a mate who is a pro second hand.

Tommo21

Tour Winner
www.royalmusselburgh.co.uk
I have money burning a hole in my pocket.

I've been considering buying some different irons for a while now. Having owned my Mizzy MX-17s for quite some time I fancy a change.
I am liking the look of the Ping G20's or 15's. There are several places near me where I could get fitted but to be honest the price of buying new scares me.
Ideally I'd like to get fitted and find out what is the best club for me in the Ping range, then buy, probably used clubs. Is this possible at a local Ping stockist?

Alternatively, what other good choices of irons are out there for a high handicapper (improving) looking to lower his handicap?

Ping G20s are good, long, a big face, a bit chunky..but who cares. I was hitting them one club longer than my AP2s. I'm waiting for the i20 irons to come out as I'm thinking of a mixed set of 4,5,6 of the G20 model and the rest from the new i20s..........if they're good.

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
Hi Basher,
I recently played at a course that had Taylor Made doing a custom fitting demo.
I know my Ping Zing 2's are a bit old but I had no idea how much difference a custom fitting made. It was awesome.
Ended up going for the R11's. Regular steel shafts suited me best & regular graphite in the hybrids & woods.
Have always assumed stiff was best for me, but it turns out that stiff shafts only satisfied my ego.
I thought I had a fabulously fast swing........I didn't......I had a fabulously fast uncontrolled slash at the ball with my big sticks.
I tried irons set up with regular shafts, 2 degrees upright & 3/4" longer than standard. I then swung MUCH slower and guess what..........I hit the ball much further with a 6 iron! A 6 iron, for me, was about 160yds with roll out. With the R11 it put range ball at an average of 162yds on the fly!
The moral of the story.........you MUST get a custom fitting & don't just limit yourself to Ping.
It doesn't matter a jot what name is on the club, if it works for you it works for you.
I'd sooner win in a Fiesta than lose in a Ferrari.
All the best & good luck,

Slime.

Basher

Tour Winner
Thanks for the replies guys. Some good info given. :thup:

Regarding Ping, what is the difference between G15's and G20's, if any?

I'm confused now, strongly leaning towards Ping but reading the replies would it be a good idea to try several makes?

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
Thanks for the replies guys. Some good info given. :thup:

Regarding Ping, what is the difference between G15's and G20's, if any?

I'm confused now, strongly leaning towards Ping but reading the replies would it be a good idea to try several makes?

Definitely try three or four at least.
Give yourself a budget, STICK TO IT & work from there.

RichardC

Tour Rookie
Visit site
If your not locked to the Ping camp, then I can recommend the Titleist AP1's. Fitting I think is essential for the shafts alone, as the difference between the stock DG XP shafts and the ones I have is amazing.

Worth a try I think.

G1BB0

Money List Winner
Visit site
blah blah blah Richard ;)

AP1's are nice, hit them the other week as are the JPX800's. Check out the Nike VR full cavities if you can, very nice irons, not too bulky but if I can hit them any bugger can :)

oakey22

Head Pro
Visit site
Our pro shop has the JPX800's at £350, was tempted by them but in the end i have ordered some Wilson Staff Di11's. Every review i have seen say they are excellent for the money :)

fat-tiger

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
i got fitted at gaindborugh for g10s couple years ago, never really got on with them sold em after about 8 months , bought ap1s off the shelf dropped 5 shots wouldnt swop em for anything at the min,very forgiving

Basher

Tour Winner
E mailed a couple of Ping selling establishments last night.
One replied letting me know that they would fit me for Pings or any other makes which suited my game for £30 (deducted from price should I buy the clubs from there.
The other one replied saying that they would do the same but for NOWT!!! :whoo:

Guess I'll be heading down to the latter for a fitting some time soon.

Nobody answered earlier so I'll ask again if I may;

Anyone know the difference (if any) between the G20's and the earlier G15's please?