Looking for Lost Ball

NorfolkShaun

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Playing a team comp today.

On the last we had our tee shot and lost the ball,after a while searching we found it.

While we were searching a group played through as we were looking. Have to say it seemed a while we were looking. Once we found it the group who played through all started waving we were out, then one of the group who played through then ran back and said we had been searching too long. (fair point and myself and one other on our team thought it was a good time looking).

However two others on our team said they were unsure and no one had timed it so how could anyone say we had looked too long? Any way we scratched our card and N/R'ed.

But this got me thinking, does anyone ever time looking for a lost ball or just guess what seems too long?

I know I never time looking for a ball,I don't wear a watch or have another way of timing a search and could not imagine tying a stopwatch to my golf bag, if my ball I have a quick look if I can't find it move on.

Personally it would feel odd to me timing a FC in a comp, I just normally work on a gentleman's agreement of I think thats time. What does everyone else do? and if you played through a group looking would you call them for it based on you thinking they had took too long?

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
Simple answer. You MUST time the search accurately & the only way to do it is with a watch or phone which records minutes & seconds. I use the watch on my GPS & religiously start timing the moment I begin the search. To do anything else, & lots of people do, is to lay yourself open to being accused of cheating.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
In bounce games we usually on give it a two minute search so it's not an issue but in a competition I'll make a note of the time on my watch. After about three minutes I'll warn a PP (or mental note to self) that there's only a couple of minutes left. If we're using the full allotted time we'll check for groups behind too. Once we get to five minutes I'll inform a PP.

NorfolkShaun

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Simple answer. You MUST time the search accurately & the only way to do it is with a watch or phone which records minutes & seconds. I use the watch on my GPS & religiously start timing the moment I begin the search. To do anything else, & lots of people do, is to lay yourself open to being accused of cheating.

Watch on a gps would be really handy, i do not have one on mine unless near a green sadly.

You are right about leaving yourself open, but not sure I would carry a phone or watch simply for this. Silly thing is my GPS does give the time but only when very close to a green

mashleyR7

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

I would guess that a very high % of golfers do not take this approach. In all my years playing, in all comps or formats, I have never seen anyone check the time starting or during a ball search. It is always done on an approximate guess. I've never had an issue with anyone searching for a ball
nor had anyone bring up the subject to me.

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
our club championship last year went into disarray because of this. they was looking for a ball for "a good while" when the lad said "go and play your shot fellas" they played their shots and he shouted "FOUND IT"

the argument was he definitely had more than 5 minutes but as no one could be positive the lad played his ball and won by one shot. the other golfer in his group come second and all hell broke lose with the word "cheat" being used alot

because of this i always make a note of the time when searching for a ball. in a recent national comp i called time on a seach and somehow i became the bad guy for being pedantic

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I would guess that a very high % of golfers do not take this approach. In all my years playing, in all comps or formats, I have never seen anyone check the time starting or during a ball search. It is always done on an approximate guess. I've never had an issue with anyone searching for a ball
nor had anyone bring up the subject to me.

You never spotted me look at my watch then?

NorfolkShaun

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
In a recent national comp i called time on a search and somehow i became the bad guy for being pedantic

Funny how this happens, today just before it was found I said I think we are out of time, gent on my team said we can't play as they are on the green so keep looking, that's when it was found.

I then when they found it felt was hard to argue with my PP, I saw it as a fun comp and not worth the hassle. Have to say had i been on the green I would of likely passed comment, that took a while but left it, them questioning it simply seemed to inflame the other gents.

Jamesbrown

Head Pro
Visit site
A have a quick glance, one minute max if it's in longish stuff. If it's in crap that expect to see it. Maybe 3 minutes. Really good card on. 5 mins.
Frankly can't be arsed looking for balls.

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I always time it on either watch or phone

5 minutes ball hunting is a LOT longer than you'd think

I've lost count of the number of times PPs think 5 mins is up when it's actually only been 3 - 3 1/2 mins

However...

in the OP's scenario, if a group has played through then ran back it probably was >5 mins

NorfolkShaun

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I always time it on either watch or phone

5 minutes ball hunting is a LOT longer than you'd think

I've lost count of the number of times PPs think 5 mins is up when it's actually only been 3 - 3 1/2 mins

However...

in the OP's scenario, if a group has played through then ran back it probably was >5 mins

I personally think we were over, however the gents debating it simply said this.

Really think i am going to need to find a way to time it. Do not like keeping my phone in my back pocket but maybe for the best.

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
If I've hit a decent provisional I often don't even bother to look for my 1st...especially if it's DEEP in the clag with nowhere decent to drop

Speeds the game up

Unlike some PPs * who insist on 5 minutes searches even if they'd be worse off by finding it

Constantly amazed at the number of people who think you HAVE to look for lost balls

* disclaimer - some are so tight that you'd think they'd lost their wallet not a £2 golf ball :(

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I would think that if someone from another group has pulled you on it that you were well over. 99% of the time, I doubt someone would come over to tell you unless they were very sure of themselves.

There have been times when I'm on a good score, and I wont go over and start looking for my ball unless the other 1/2/3 golfers are with me. More chance of finding your ball if 2/3/4 golfers are looking for it over 5 minutes than me on my own for 2-3 minutes and the others for only 2-3 minutes.

Face breaker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
If I've hit a decent provisional I often don't even bother to look for my 1st...especially if it's DEEP in the clag with nowhere decent to drop

Speeds the game up

Unlike some PPs * who insist on 5 minutes searches even if they'd be worse off by finding it

Constantly amazed at the number of people who think you HAVE to look for lost balls

* disclaimer - some are so tight that you'd think they'd lost their wallet not a £2 golf ball :(

+1 for this, 3 off the tee is better than risking 3/4/5 outta the crap surely !... :thup: