Looking for Android golf app with UK stableford calculator

itm60

Hacker
Visit site
I'm looking for a Golf scorecard app which will allow me to:
- Save courses with Stroke Index values for each hole
- Record scores for each hole quickly using number keys (i.e. not by repeatedly pressing the + key to enter strokes)
- Automatically calculate Stableford points
- Save rounds
- (optionally) capture scores for more than one player.
I've tried a couple but neither have allowed me to save course details due to bugs in the respective apps.
Can anyone recommend an app that has the above features, and which is confirmed to work OK? I'm running Android 7.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I don't know what ones you've tried, and I'm not quite sure what you mean by 'save courses'. But Hole19 is a good app with GPS & scorecard, you put your handicap in and it works out your Stableford points too.

I know that VPAR has the ability to put more than one player in as well, I found Hole19 a better app generally though (although it uses more battery I think). I had to use VPAR on my old phone as the battery was dud, but now I got a new phone I've gone back to Hole19.

itm60

Hacker
Visit site
Thanks for the recommendations. I tried VPAR first, as battery drain is an issue for me. It looked OK apart from the fact that the stroke index values for my local course weren't accurate, and there was no way to edit the course. There's an option to "suggest" an edit, but I have no idea whether it would actually be done.
I then tried Hole19. It's designed to be used to capture strokes as you are playing the course. I'm actually looking for something that I can quickly enter all of my scores into at the end of the round, then have it calculate my points score. That would be quite a lengthy process using Hole19.
I currently use the free version of GolfPadGPS, which meets all of my needs for shot distance tracking, range finder, etc, but annoyingly does not calculate stableford points. So I just need an app that I can use to punch in our scores at the end of the round and have it calculate the stableford points.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Thanks for the recommendations. I tried VPAR first, as battery drain is an issue for me. It looked OK apart from the fact that the stroke index values for my local course weren't accurate, and there was no way to edit the course. There's an option to "suggest" an edit, but I have no idea whether it would actually be done.
I then tried Hole19. It's designed to be used to capture strokes as you are playing the course. I'm actually looking for something that I can quickly enter all of my scores into at the end of the round, then have it calculate my points score. That would be quite a lengthy process using Hole19.
I currently use the free version of GolfPadGPS, which meets all of my needs for shot distance tracking, range finder, etc, but annoyingly does not calculate stableford points. So I just need an app that I can use to punch in our scores at the end of the round and have it calculate the stableford points.
When I was using VPAR, if I found an error in course details, I emailed support@vpar.com and told them what needed correcting. Usually by the next day I had an email back saying they had corrected it.

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
MSCORECARD seems good. Free as well!

I'm on Microsoft and like Freecaddie, but they've dropped support now, luckilly I've got the app that still works. They are putting all energy into Android. Might be worth a look?

itm60

Hacker
Visit site
MSCORECARD seems good. Free as well!

I'm on Microsoft and like Freecaddie, but they've dropped support now, luckilly I've got the app that still works. They are putting all energy into Android. Might be worth a look?
Thanks I've just tried MScoreCard but it seems to have the same problem as VPAR - the Stroke Index values aren't accurate for my local course and there's no option to change them.

TXL

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Thanks I've just tried MScoreCard but it seems to have the same problem as VPAR - the Stroke Index values aren't accurate for my local course and there's no option to change them.

Copied from the MScoreCard website:

Course information is incorrect, incomplete or outdated, how to fix that?
You can modify the course information and gps coordinates yourself at: www.mscorecard.com/mscorecard/courses.php by opening the course and selecting Edit.

itm60

Hacker
Visit site
Copied from the MScoreCard website:

Course information is incorrect, incomplete or outdated, how to fix that?
You can modify the course information and gps coordinates yourself at: www.mscorecard.com/mscorecard/courses.php by opening the course and selecting Edit.

Thanks - that's really useful. Does mScoreCard use UK Stableford calculations? If so, it doesn't seem to be doing all of the calculations correctly. For example:
Hole 8
Par 4
Stroke Index 5
Player 1 -Handicap 29
- Gross Score 8
- Points 1 (should be zero?)
Player 2 -Handicap 28
- Gross Score 6
- Points 3 (should be 2?)

Am I wrong, or are those points scores incorrect?

LincolnShep

Head Pro
Visit site
Have you tried Swing by Swing? I think it ticks all the boxes. There is a free version and a paid version with more features but it's only about £3 a month.

itm60

Hacker
Visit site
Have you tried Swing by Swing? I think it ticks all the boxes. There is a free version and a paid version with more features but it's only about £3 a month.
Thanks - I just tried it. You need the premium version for stableford scoring, and £36/year sounds like alot of money for such a simple feature.
I'm surprised that it's so hard to find something free and simple that does this. Maybe I should just create a Google Sheets spreadsheet that will do the calculation for me. Not the best UI for this sort of thing, but it looks like I may not have too many other options!

Twire

Global Moderator
Visit site
Thanks - I just tried it. You need the premium version for stableford scoring, and £36/year sounds like alot of money for such a simple feature.
I'm surprised that it's so hard to find something free and simple that does this. Maybe I should just create a Google Sheets spreadsheet that will do the calculation for me. Not the best UI for this sort of thing, but it looks like I may not have too many other options!

Rather than creating your own spreadsheet, download scoresaver2, it will do everything you need plus more.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
What was wrong with VPAR? Did you email them to get the stroke index changed? As I said, just send them a correct scorecard and they'll change it no time.

itm60

Hacker
Visit site
Rather than creating your own spreadsheet, download scoresaver2, it will do everything you need plus more.
Wow that looks really useful thanks- I'll investigate it.
I'll still need to find an Android solution though (Google Sheets or otherwise), as scoresaver2 requires a PC (my usage scenario is entering scores in the bar after our round to calculate points and decide who buys dinner!)

itm60

Hacker
Visit site
What was wrong with VPAR? Did you email them to get the stroke index changed? As I said, just send them a correct scorecard and they'll change it no time.
Yes I did email them, and attached a copy of the current scorecard for my local course. I'll give it a week or so and hopefully they'll respond. The only issue with VPAR is that you need to use a slider to enter scores, rather than just tapping a number key. In my usage scenario I'll be entering a full scorecard for 3 players at the end of the round, and tapping a number key to enter each score would be alot quicker than using the slider 54 times! Maybe not a deal-breaker, but a bit irritating.

Lazkir

Head Pro
Visit site
Just knock up an Excel sheet, then transfer it to your phone.
I did one ages ago, I'll see if I can dig it out..

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Yes I did email them, and attached a copy of the current scorecard for my local course. I'll give it a week or so and hopefully they'll respond. The only issue with VPAR is that you need to use a slider to enter scores, rather than just tapping a number key. In my usage scenario I'll be entering a full scorecard for 3 players at the end of the round, and tapping a number key to enter each score would be alot quicker than using the slider 54 times! Maybe not a deal-breaker, but a bit irritating.
I know what you mean, but I don't think it'll be that bad. As I recall, once you press it it defaults to the par score, so you'll have to tap the '+' maybe once or twice in most cases. It's not like it starts at 0 and you have to press + 4 times or what-have-you.

Leftie

Tour Winner
Visit site
What is it about "Apps"? Or have I missed something somewhere?

Why not just do it on the scorecard as most golfers have done since scorecards were invented :confused:

If it's working out Stableford points you have trouble with then there are plenty of tutorials on Youtube. You do have to do some adding up at the end though ......

Last edited:

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
What is it about "Apps"? Or have I missed something somewhere?

Why not just do it on the scorecard as most golfers have done since scorecards were invented :confused:

If it's working out Stableford points you have trouble with then there are plenty of tutorials on Youtube. You do have to do some adding up at the end though ......
On the plus side it will save all your rounds on the app, rather than having to carry a portfolio of physical scorecards somewhere.