looking for a new stand bag

i*windows

Visit site
I'm looking for a new stand bag as my old callaway bag has fallen to bits. I'm just looking for a good quality stand bag, ideally waterproof which doesnt look like it's made from plastic bags. Most of the bags I've seen seem to be pretty flimsy compared to my old bag. Can anyone recommend a decent bag that will last 5 years or so. I just need enough pockets for a waterproof and bottle of water.

D

Deleted member 1740

Sun Mountain are as good as they get waterproof wise but they're not cheap.

Do you have a budget?

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
I still have an original Ping Hoofer - still going strong, still looks great and absolutely bombproof. These bags have never been rivalled or beaten ever.

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
I still have an original Ping Hoofer - still going strong, still looks great and absolutely bombproof. These bags have never been rivalled or beaten ever.
I have some sort of ping and even the straps are still good. I mainly have my bag follow me now though.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site

True but the latest ones are lacking in decent pockets. Might not be a concern to the OP.

Stand mechanism is by far the best.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Have a Mizuno, bought early last year.

I believe it is a BR D3 model. Decent headcover and pocket space. Solid and comfortable for carrying or going on a trolley.
Was around the £150 mark.

Can't really tell you it is 100% waterproof as I will usually take things home and dry them out after a wet day. Just don't feel it's worth the risk stuffing all that moisture into a locker for potentially a few weeks.

howbow88

Hacker
Visit site
I have a Titleist, and as much as I like the brand and love the look of the bag, I can't recommend it, the leg mechanism is terrible.
Initially the legs droop and rattle when you carry it, then you have to move this plastic "slider" (no easy feat, pardon the pun) that the legs clip into, move it too far and the legs pop out.
Loads of complaints all over the Web, very disappointed with it.
I have a Titleist stand bag. Whilst I've had no issues with the legs, although one does appear to be a bit bowed, the fabric around the club heads has worn well away. This has resulted in rub marks on my the shafts of my hybrid, 3 wood, and driver.

Like you, I wouldn't recommend them. This is a shame as other than this issue, it's a great bag - lightweight, looks great, plenty of space for anything you would want in there, decent strap system, etc.

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
My titleist one was rubbish also. The handle stitching came loose and the legs kept popping out. Ping Hoofer for me too. I love the look of this years model.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
I bought a Bagboy Technowater end of last year so only used it over the last winter but I have to say, I'm pretty pleased with it. There isn't massive space in the main pocket but there is a drinks chill bag as well as plenty of other pockets. It's waterproof and probably the comfiest bag I've owned, and being round shouldered, getting the right fitting is important.

i*windows

Visit site
I read that some people have issues with the clubs twisting and getting stuck, do you have any issues?

stevench

Club Champion
Visit site

I'd have normally agreed with you however since trying the Taylormade Flextech these certainly put up a good fight.
Based on the hoofer design however TM seem to have greatly reduced the tangle which was always an issue for me with the hoofer, pockets are easier to access however I still think the Ping wins on quality.

There is no perfect bag out there however if it was for carrying only I don't think you can beat the Sun Mountains.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
I'd have normally agreed with you however since trying the Taylormade Flextech these certainly put up a good fight.
Based on the hoofer design however TM seem to have greatly reduced the tangle which was always an issue for me with the hoofer, pockets are easier to access however I still think the Ping wins on quality.

There is no perfect bag out there however if it was for carrying only I don't think you can beat the Sun Mountains.

My bag is 20 years old and still looks better than any of the crap on the market today, it still performs as well.

We're talking old skool Ping Hoofer here not the newer "inferior" lightweight material ones. Had a couple of these and still always go back to the old boy.

i*windows

Visit site
My bag is 20 years old and still looks better than any of the crap on the market today, it still performs as well.

We're talking old skool Ping Hoofer here not the newer "inferior" lightweight material ones. Had a couple of these and still always go back to the old boy.
thats the problem, all the new stuff is junk. My bag is fantastic, great material, and was/is bomb proof, it's 12 years old and I've worn a hole where it hits my bum when I carry it, and the top where the clubs site as just started to wear through to the plastic.

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
I have a Titleist, and as much as I like the brand and love the look of the bag, I can't recommend it, the leg mechanism is terrible.
Initially the legs droop and rattle when you carry it, then you have to move this plastic "slider" (no easy feat, pardon the pun) that the legs clip into, move it too far and the legs pop out.
Loads of complaints all over the Web, very disappointed with it.

The legs on my Titleist StaDry snapped after a month, swapped it for a Sun Mountain which seems to eat straps as there's a design fault in the cheap plastic strap adjusters they use. It's now Robobag as I had to fit two small steel carabinas to get it to work.
Also had a pocket zip failure on my Sun Mountain, I wouldn't buy one again for sure.