Looking for a cheap and cheerful round on Saturday near Belfast

Highslice

Visit site
As thread title says - staying near Belfast at the weekend (Newtownabbey), I’ll be able to get out early, aiming for tee off before 9.30am on Saturday (or possibly Sunday)

playing solo, what are my options? Probably be safer with 9 holes but could squeeze in 18 if I got out really early.

any recommendations? Is everything already booked up or members only? Not really on a budget but don’t want to spend a lot playing on my own.

chico

Club Champion
Visit site
Check Golf Now app you can put in your location and dates and should be able to get a tee time that suits. You might even get paired up with other players.

Highslice

Visit site
GolfNow is throwing up

Bentra
Down Royal Park
Ballyearl

Looking at reviews all of which seem a bit…agricultural…

Any first hand experience with these? I’m a 16 index, so don’t exactly need pristine conditions but are these worth it even at a tenner for 9 holes?

rksquire

Head Pro
Visit site
I'd avoid Down Royal - quite unkempt for the past couple of years, bunkers full of weeds, rough basically everywhere and, although cut at least, greens aren't great. It is cheap though with a few challenging holes, but without knowing the course you could end up quite frustrated.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I'd imagine it will be difficult to get a tee time that early on a Saturday or sunday at most clubs.

From your location I'd try Whitehead golf club. Less than half an hour travelling away newton abbey.

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
GolfNow is throwing up

Bentra
Down Royal Park
Ballyearl

Looking at reviews all of which seem a bit…agricultural…

Any first hand experience with these? I’m a 16 index, so don’t exactly need pristine conditions but are these worth it even at a tenner for 9 holes?

Don't go to the Bentra. It's a 9 hole flat field turned into a golf course. Serves a good purpose but not one to take a trip to. Not sure how far you're willing to travel but I always enjoyed Cairndu. Just up the road from Larne. Good value and has some great views across to Scotland.

Carrickfergus and Whitehead are nice layouts and always kept in good condition. Not been there for years though.

Swango1980

Visit site
Blackwood Golf Club might be available to play. Also has an 18 hole Par 3 course if you wanted a warm up. I'm from the Bangor area (live in England now), and Bangor, Carnlea and Clandeboye are all decent. However, it may be a struggle / impossible to get tee times at the weekend.

Highslice

Visit site
Thanks all!
As expected most places have no free tee times in the mornings, no surprise there.
think I’m going to cut my losses and see if I can maybe get to a Toptracer range instead.

Loads of good recommendations for next time when I’m better prepared though.

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
Clandeboye has an open every Sunday on the Dufferin Championship course, might be worth calling as I can see a good few teetimes untaken yet.
Greens were dryjected this week but usually great again inside a couple of days.