Long thumb v's short thumb

mikseymono

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Hi Team....

So coming back into golf after a 4 week break...been trawling around to look for things to work on my game over the next few months and have realised my left hand (right handed golfer) has always had a long thumb on the grip rather than the shorter one preferred by most. Went to the range yesterday and adopted new short thumb which felt very unatural and quite 'handsy' if you know what I mean......only spent a couple of hours out there...it definately felt different for such a minor tweak.

I do want to get more consistent with my irons and feel this could be a good starter...a penny for you thoughts?

Thanks,

M

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Hi Team....

So coming back into golf after a 4 week break...been trawling around to look for things to work on my game over the next few months and have realised my left hand (right handed golfer) has always had a long thumb on the grip rather than the shorter one preferred by most. Went to the range yesterday and adopted new short thumb which felt very unatural and quite 'handsy' if you know what I mean......only spent a couple of hours out there...it definately felt different for such a minor tweak.

I do want to get more consistent with my irons and feel this could be a good starter...a penny for you thoughts?

Thanks,

M

My pro swears by long thumb. i always had a short, but the change to long has made me much more consistent with my irons the last two years

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
My pro swears by long thumb. i always had a short, but the change to long has made me much more consistent with my irons the last two years

Interesting as when I last had lessons a few years ago I was made to change from a long thumb to a short thumb! (can't recall the reasoning but vaguely remember being told to have my hands closer together)

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Do you have to have a dog (GSP?) avatar to post in this thread? Or will any animal do?

As for the question...It's what feels works best that matters! Both/either have potential (dis)advantages, so it's what suits your particular quirks that matter!

Generally, a grip change shouldn't take very long to bed in. If it takes more than a 'short' time, then it's probably ot right for you!

the_coach

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
like a bunch of stuff in golf a lot of the good stuff revolves around the theme in 'the 3 bears story'

so not too long & not too short as both ends of that spectrum will give a number of issues
ways too short will tend to prevent a good 'set' of the club
ways too long will tend to promote the inability to fully control the club either at the top or through impact

so too long or too short as a description of lead thumb is entirely relative to the particular grip hold being discussed

so in general neither too long or too short .... but somewheres in between those 'extremes' is ... just right .... "thumbilocks position"

[video=youtube;Y7TR1g3WThw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7TR1g3WThw[/video]

what is real important with the lead thumb (as well as the 'length extension') is exactly what part of the handle the thumb is positioned - doesn't want to by left of a center line a top the handle as you look down & neither does it want to be on the side of the handle facing aways from target

lead thumb should sit more on the right half of the grip as you look down at address so the left side of the lead thumb (rh player) would be touching a line drawn down the center of the grip

Last edited:

mikseymono

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Well, I have tried for 10 days..I know, it is not super long..but I just can't get on with it.......after 40 years of medium long thumb I just can't change....I did though find I was hitting my driver 3inches behind my left heal and so now hit just off my big toe...huge difference. Just need to focus on 'hitting' the ball now...need to 'commit' to the shot...That's it for now...

M

anotherdouble

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have absolutely no idea what this means. My thumb has been the same length since adulthood as far as I know.

For a right handed golfer, it refers to how extended the left thumb is on the shaft. Short thumb, left thumb is 'hunched up'. Long thumb, left thumb is fully extended