Long irons vs fairway woods

Marklfc96

Visit site
Ok guys and gals. Gonna open a bag of worms now. Iamvery consistent with 6 iron and lower. 5 4 iron and up I really struggle with. I only carry driver as a wood. As I feel no need for woods. I hit6 iron 180yards consistently. Question is would u ditch 4 5 iron for some form of woods. Or get some lessons on long irons.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Lessons can work if you have the time and inclination to put the effort in practicing what you're taught.
My longest iron is a 5 - my 4 goes all of about 4-5 yards more.
I use hybrids at 24° and 19° and a 4 wood at 17°
It's using what works..

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Ok guys and gals. Gonna open a bag of worms now. Iamvery consistent with 6 iron and lower. 5 4 iron and up I really struggle with. I only carry driver as a wood. As I feel no need for woods. I hit6 iron 180yards consistently. Question is would u ditch 4 5 iron for some form of woods. Or get some lessons on long irons.
Hybrid, rather than fairway wood, would surely be worth considering. Hitting a 4 iron is no gimme for an amateur, and even pros use 4 hybrids for more forgiveness and a higher ball flight.
I'm not sure why you don't feel a need for a wood - if you can hit a 6 iron 180 yards, a 5 and 4 hybrid might give you 195 and 210 yardages which would give options on long par 3s or on holes where driver off the tee is not appropriate.
There's a whole range of hybrids from those that look a bit like irons, to those which are like mini fairways. The only way to see what suits your game would be to have a bash at a few at a shop with a range. I think seeing the ball flight in reality rather than on a screen is helpful with longer clubs (but that's just me I guess)

Marklfc96

Visit site
Hybrid, rather than fairway wood, would surely be worth considering. Hitting a 4 iron is no gimme for an amateur, and even pros use 4 hybrids for more forgiveness and a higher ball flight.
I'm not sure why you don't feel a need for a wood - if you can hit a 6 iron 180 yards, a 5 and 4 hybrid might give you 195 and 210 yardages which would give options on long par 3s or on holes where driver off the tee is not appropriate.
There's a whole range of hybrids from those that look a bit like irons, to those which are like mini fairways. The only way to see what suits your game would be to have a bash at a few at a shop with a range. I think seeing the ball flight in reality rather than on a screen is helpful with longer clubs (but that's just me I guess)
I am thinking of 5 wood and a hybrid of some description

drdel

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Ping make some interesting clubs that look like irons but have the construction of hybrids - might be worth trying on the range.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If you hit your irons well I too would recommending trying hybrids and hitting them like irons rather than fairway woods