Long iron/crossover recommendations

Ser Shankalot

Visit site
I certainly don't swing it 126mph! I calculated the speed by using the carry(186) and divided it by 2.3 = 80.1. I'm impressed and I'll ignore that equation from now on cheers for that clarification - I've been setting myself short by 10mph!!!!

I believe the rule of thumb formula (2.3/2.4 for carry and 2.6/2.7 for total) is only really valid for a driver. So I'm guessing at c.110 mph driver swing speed you carry c.250 yards and c.275 total?

Sats

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I believe the rule of thumb formula (2.3/2.4 for carry and 2.6/2.7 for total) is only really valid for a driver. So I'm guessing at c.110 mph driver swing speed you carry c.250 yards and c.275 total?

Yep, on average around 264 with the driver - when it bloody works!

Springveldt

Visit site
Launch angle looks a little low, suggests some serious de lofting going on?
According to Trackman the PGA Tour average is roughly half the loft for the launch angle and his 6 iron was 26° so I was allowing for him not being a PGA Tour pro. :) Here's the stats from an older blog, they have probably changed a little since then.

https://blog.trackmangolf.com/trackman-average-tour-stats/

Last time I got a lesson Trackman to work on my irons I was launching my 7 iron (30.5°) at 20° at the end of the lesson (27° at the start) and I'm not great at hitting down with shaft lean as I can get shallow and a bit flippy.

Even if we assume a higher launch angle (and more spin due to more dynamic loft) at 18° launch with 6K spin, you still need 129mph ball speed which is impossible from an 80mph swing.

I certainly don't swing it 126mph! I calculated the speed by using the carry(186) and divided it by 2.3 = 80.1. I'm impressed and I'll ignore that equation from now on cheers for that clarification - I've been setting myself short by 10mph!!!!

Ball speed of 126mph, not clubhead speed. :) Carrying a 26° iron 186 yards is some serious speed btw. Driver should be carrying over 260 I would have thought.

Sats

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
According to Trackman the PGA Tour average is roughly half the loft for the launch angle and his 6 iron was 26° so I was allowing for him not being a PGA Tour pro. :) Here's the stats from an older blog, they have probably changed a little since then.

https://blog.trackmangolf.com/trackman-average-tour-stats/

Last time I got a lesson Trackman to work on my irons I was launching my 7 iron (30.5°) at 20° at the end of the lesson (27° at the start) and I'm not great at hitting down with shaft lean as I can get shallow and a bit flippy.

Even if we assume a higher launch angle (and more spin due to more dynamic loft) at 18° launch with 6K spin, you still need 129mph ball speed which is impossible from an 80mph swing.

Ball speed of 126mph, not clubhead speed. :) Carrying a 26° iron 186 yards is some serious speed btw. Driver should be carrying over 260 I would have thought.

Yes I normally hit the driver around 264 when it's behaving (see my current thread for that tale of woe) It's down to mobility and power training if I'm completely honest, quite lucky as I can train as part of my day at work - as I have to maintain a level of fitness to do it and my workouts consists of;

KB jumping deadlifts, Snatch, Cleans and Swings
Box Jumps
Farmers walks
Deadlifts
Squats
Pullovers
Clean and Jerks
Pull ups/dips
Medicine ball slams

Springveldt

Visit site
Yes I normally hit the driver around 264 when it's behaving (see my current thread for that tale of woe) It's down to mobility and power training if I'm completely honest, quite lucky as I can train as part of my day at work - as I have to maintain a level of fitness to do it and my workouts consists of;

KB jumping deadlifts, Snatch, Cleans and Swings
Box Jumps
Farmers walks
Deadlifts
Squats
Pullovers
Clean and Jerks
Pull ups/dips
Medicine ball slams
Sounds like it's working for you. Power isn't my issue, I've still got a bit of strength left from when I used to train (even after not training for a few years when I went back I could still bench 2 plates, squad 3 and deadlift 4 for reps) my issue is that I'm now about 4 stone overweight and as stiff as an iron poker. :oops:

Sats

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Sounds like it's working for you. Power isn't my issue, I've still got a bit of strength left from when I used to train (even after not training for a few years when I went back I could still bench 2 plates, squad 3 and deadlift 4 for reps) my issue is that I'm now about 4 stone overweight and as stiff as an iron poker. :oops:

Any mobility will help - there's literally loads on the internet - a good start is the Nike Training app and it has some quick (7-15min) mobility workouts. As far as the weight - I don't look at scales as I'm 5'7" and weigh around 81kg (12stone 10) but my waist size is 30", I've got a visible six pack, and t shirts fit tight in the right places but the bmi thing says I'm overweight :LOL:

Springveldt

Visit site
Any mobility will help - there's literally loads on the internet - a good start is the Nike Training app and it has some quick (7-15min) mobility workouts. As far as the weight - I don't look at scales as I'm 5'7" and weigh around 81kg (12stone 10) but my waist size is 30", I've got a visible six pack, and t shirts fit tight in the right places but the bmi thing says I'm overweight :LOL:
Yeah, BMI doesn't take into account muscle at all. At one point (in what seems like a different life :)) I was just under 15 stone with a 31 inch waist and 48 inch chest and BMI was saying I was obese. I'd have needed to cut off a leg to get within their weight range as "healthy".

It now says I'm verging on morbidly obese and tbh I wouldn't argue with that. :ROFLMAO:

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Yeah, BMI doesn't take into account muscle at all. At one point (in what seems like a different life :)) I was just under 15 stone with a 31 inch waist and 48 inch chest and BMI was saying I was obese. I'd have needed to cut off a leg to get within their weight range as "healthy".

It now says I'm verging on morbidly obese and tbh I wouldn't argue with that. :ROFLMAO:
I think they often use weight to height ratio now instead. I got mine measured recently and it was a bit high, so unfortunately I need to gain 2 inches of height.

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
I struggle to hit my fairway wood and hybrid, tried a few recently and just can’t hit them consistently. However, I hit my irons fairly ok.

Because of this I have a big gap between driver and 5i (21.5 degree loft TM M2) which I hit around 190-200. Could really do with something to break through the 200 yard mark.

Been debating getting a 3 or 4 iron in the same range, or trying one of those crossover/driving irons.

I’m looking at second hand, happy to spend £50-80. Any recommendations?

Hcp is 19 and all my shafts are regular.

I really would not go along the lines of driving irons and crossovers if you can't hit a hybrid or fairway wood. Those clubs have a purpose and in general it is to hit hte ball lower with less spin, giving you something that is easier to control on windy days. You should watch this video from YouTube that I have just watched. This is going to show you the difference between all 3 types of clubs in the hands of a highly skilled golfer. So you will see what each type of club is going to offer you.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I did a fitting and got a ping crossover 3 iron. The shaft is the Alta in S 70g … it feels quite flexible so they must be playing to ego and bragging rights ?.
Taken it out for a few rounds and it fits nicely below my 5wood in distance ( pro measured the carry at 185 , and I have been getting that plus some more .. sometimes a bit too much more) . Off the fairway it’s good but a hybrid is easier, I will, however saying that, look at the ping in a 4 as that extra loft may just make the difference. Well worth a look if anyone is in the same position
Oh and I like chipping with it as well