Lone golf

sunshine

Visit site
Following a post from Wolf on another thread, I thought it would be interesting to get your thoughts on playing golf on your own, as we will be doing a lot more of this now. I know some people who play golf for company and wouldn't ever step on to a course on their own, however there are others who see golf as a solo pursuit.

Personally, I play two types of golf:
1. Playing on my own, I am completely in the moment from arriving at my ball to playing my shot. Between shots, golf is a wonderful way for me to think about life while walking the fairways. Solo golf for me is characterised by pure ball striking, controlled shape and trajectory, and a zen-like state.
2. Most of the time, golf is a social game for me. It's also a competitive game, whether a casual knock with mates or the club championship. There's a lot to talk about, whether getting to know a stranger or catching up with your oldest friend. Social golf for me is characterised by poor ball striking, scrambling, but fun and banter. It is also much more rewarding for me.

So, what does solo golf mean to you?

Shooter McPowick

Head Pro
Visit site
I feel exactly the same as you.

Solo golf is care free, breathe the fresh air, laugh at the the bad shots and maybe drop a couple of balls and practice from areas I usually find myself playing from. Obviously making sure Im not getting in anyone's way.

I do enjoy the social side but its not going to stop me from playing. I love the game too much.

Chico84

Visit site
I have enjoyed playing golf on my own when I have done it in the past. Certainly the lack of pressure of an audience helps and you can use it as a practice round or do whatever you want. I’m quite happy in my own company anyway so it’s a nice opportunity to get out and think a bit.

I do, however, generally prefer to play with others. It’s nice to have company and a few other pairs of eyes to see where my ball went, and to inevitably help find it in the rough is always useful too!

Pathetic Shark

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I have played most mornings starting before 7am April-September for the last 25 years. Still take it seriously, track every shot and love it. Help the greenkeepers out as I go round.
But I enjoy the social side too. And yes I know a lot of people would never dream of playing on their own.

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
Social /competitive for me. I thought two balls would be bad enough. I'll be happy with 9 holes two or three times a week. I could not be bothered to play 18bholes on my own.

Personally, I don't think it will be long before two, three or four balls will be allowed. No different from meeting your mates in the park.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Solo golf is not for me. I would prefer to go for a walk with my wife, than play what is a social game in an anti social way. Golf for me is never really about the golf.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I've rarely ever played singles golf but I might book a round or two just to get back into the swing of it. I usually prefer a trip to the range if I'm alone

D

Deleted Member 1156

I love my competitive weekend golf but I also love playing a few holes in the evening to unwind whether it is on my own or with someone else.

AdamC28

Visit site
Love playing in comps and with my winter league group on a Saturday morning for competitive/social golf.
I usually play a couple of times a month on my own anyway so will be happy to go out solo for a while if needed.

SatchFan

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Happier to play solo these days largely because if I'm having a really bad day then I would prefer to walk in than hack on. Playing with someone else I would feel obliged to continue out of courtesy.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Regularly play on my own so won't be too bothered about it if its in place for any length of time. Looking at seeing if HID can take her exercise and walk around with me as it ticks the same household box and a more scenic walk for her

Wolf

Visit site
I do often enjoy playing solo golf, gives me time to just enjoy some peace and quiet, time to think about whatever is going on in my life to get some perspective or even sometimes to just get out of my own head & forget any stresses. Also find its a more fun way to practice than pounding balls at the range.

I do of course enjoy social golf as well, having a laugh and joke on the way round, that's the good thing about golf though you can equally enjoy solo or in a group.

Competition though I no longer enjoy, I'm past caring about winning or handicap now, comps to me are just an extension of the social golf now.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I prefer playing with people and having a laugh. But I have played rounds on my own before on the odd occasion - I still enjoy playing.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
When working away, I often go to somewhere like New Forest, pay a twilight ticket and play till it is too dark to see.... good way of winding down after work and keeping out of the pub!!

Not as good as the lads trip away, but if it's solo golf or no golf, it is absolutely fine.

I am off to the garden centre this morning to buy a bag of horse poo and queue up with all the 70 year old ladies who think it is Christmas. Apparently that is safer in Wales than golf. :ROFLMAO: