Lithium Batteries

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
Looking at purchasing a lithium battery for my motocaddy. Pro has a deal on for £25 off making them £174 for both the LitePower or Motocaddy own brand. Was googling around at the weekend to see if it was the best deal and came up with some alternatives:

http://www.alpha-batteries.co.uk/golf-trolley-batteries/18-hole-lithium-golf-battery/

http://www.libertybatteries.com/pre...charger-neoprene-bag-and-t-bar-lead-110-p.asp

http://www.littlemiraclebattery.co.uk/

I know the old adage of buy cheap, buy twice, but wondering if anyone has any experience with any of these alternatives? The litepower has a 5 year limited warranty, which after 2 years means you buy a new one at a discounted rate, so not sure it's any better than the two year warranty on the Liberty, especially given the price difference. The Duradrive has a full 3 year warranty, as opposed to two year on the Liberty. I think I'm at a coin toss between Liberty and DuraDrive.

TXL

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I have a 36 hole Litepower battery which I have had for almost 3 years. I have played an average of 3 to 4 rounds per week since I got it and have not had a problem, nor have I seen any reduction in its power over that time.

D

Deleted member 15344

Have plenty of PP that use the litepower batteries with no issues and long life

I have had a 36 hole motocaddy for 4 years now - play about 5 times a week and played 36 holes twice last week - once at LB and once at Woburn ( Dukes and Marq ) no issues at all and battery still going strong

Wouldn't purchase anything but the branded or litepower

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Bought a litepower 36 hole battery about 18 months ago as a replacement for my powerkaddy 18 hole lead-acid. No issues at all and still running v well. Mind, it is still within 2 years, so no real help on your query about proper longevity.

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
There's a mention earlier in the thread of "after market" as if it's a dirty word. I know people have their own feelings but I don't think it's any different to buying EveryReady batteries vs Duracell vs Panasonic or buying Uniroyal tyres vs Pirelli vs Michelin etc. There are different companies that manufacture the same products in all types of objects, just because the cheaper options are not sold by the mainline products, doesn't mean they are inferior - it's entirely possible that the batteries all come out of the same one or two production plants in China, and that LitePower just put a heftier markup on the product because they are sold by Motocaddy. With a company like Motocaddy selling your brand, it gives credence to the quality, but doesn't mean that the cheaper brands trying to get into the market are any worse. The worry people have, myself included is whether the cheaper company provides a reliable service, it's hard to tell without any guinea pigs trying them out and putting the word out, hence my enquiry in this thread.

Based on the fact that the LitePower comes with a 5 year limited warranty - this means full guarantee for two years, then purchase a replacement for 50% in year 3, 70% year 4 and 85% year 5. In a best case scenario, you'd pay £174 now for new, and then pay £99.50 if it fails in year 3 giving a new two year warranty which equates to £273.50 for 4 years. The equivalent Liberty option would be £123 now for new, failing in year 3 would be another £123.50 for a new battery with another two year warranty, meaning £246 for 4 years. If the LitePower fails in year 5, the replacement would cost £169, meaning £368 for 7 years, whilst the Liberty failing in year 5 would still be £123, meaning £246 for 7 years. I realize my assumptions are based on current costs, which may change between purchase and failure, but I'm almost swaying to be a guinea pig for Liberty.

Maybe GM could do a lithium battery test......Take one from each manufacturer (Lite Power, Motocaddy, Powercaddy, Liberty, Duradrive, Little Miracle), give them to a forum members for a season long test :cool:

ArnoldArmChewer

Tour Winner
Visit site
There's a mention earlier in the thread of "after market" as if it's a dirty word. I know people have their own feelings but I don't think it's any different to buying EveryReady batteries vs Duracell vs Panasonic or buying Uniroyal tyres vs Pirelli vs Michelin etc. There are different companies that manufacture the same products in all types of objects, just because the cheaper options are not sold by the mainline products, doesn't mean they are inferior - it's entirely possible that the batteries all come out of the same one or two production plants in China, and that LitePower just put a heftier markup on the product because they are sold by Motocaddy. With a company like Motocaddy selling your brand, it gives credence to the quality, but doesn't mean that the cheaper brands trying to get into the market are any worse. The worry people have, myself included is whether the cheaper company provides a reliable service, it's hard to tell without any guinea pigs trying them out and putting the word out, hence my enquiry in this thread.

Based on the fact that the LitePower comes with a 5 year limited warranty - this means full guarantee for two years, then purchase a replacement for 50% in year 3, 70% year 4 and 85% year 5. In a best case scenario, you'd pay £174 now for new, and then pay £99.50 if it fails in year 3 giving a new two year warranty which equates to £273.50 for 4 years. The equivalent Liberty option would be £123 now for new, failing in year 3 would be another £123.50 for a new battery with another two year warranty, meaning £246 for 4 years. If the LitePower fails in year 5, the replacement would cost £169, meaning £368 for 7 years, whilst the Liberty failing in year 5 would still be £123, meaning £246 for 7 years. I realize my assumptions are based on current costs, which may change between purchase and failure, but I'm almost swaying to be a guinea pig for Liberty.

Maybe GM could do a lithium battery test......Take one from each manufacturer (Lite Power, Motocaddy, Powercaddy, Liberty, Duradrive, Little Miracle), give them to a forum members for a season long test :cool:

After numerous bad experiences with alternative replacement products I have come to the conclusion that genuine is best, that may or may not be the case with lithium batteries I don't know but for me personally I have not got the inclination or time to chase around and buy an unknown battery because it saves a few bob (possibly).