Links golf in Ayrshire

G1z1

Visit site
Hi all, looking for some info on a few links courses in ayrshire. Thinking of joining either prestwick st nics, kilmarnock brasserie or else irvine bogside. If theres any members could you let me know, do these clubs use winter matts ? And are the green on all year ?
Only took up golf last winter and i have joined my local parklands club and would like to join a nice links course to play through the winter. I did get the golf south ayrshire membership that lets you play 8 courses with a few of them being links but i just find them ok, looking for a course thats a bit nicer. So if anyone could rate the 3 in order best to worse that would be great, I do plan to try them all out myself over the next few weeks but just good to see other peoples opinions.

casuk

Head Pro
Visit site
Hi all, looking for some info on a few links courses in ayrshire. Thinking of joining either prestwick st nics, kilmarnock brasserie or else irvine bogside. If theres any members could you let me know, do these clubs use winter matts ? And are the green on all year ?
Only took up golf last winter and i have joined my local parklands club and would like to join a nice links course to play through the winter. I did get the golf south ayrshire membership that lets you play 8 courses with a few of them being links but i just find them ok, looking for a course thats a bit nicer. So if anyone could rate the 3 in order best to worse that would be great, I do plan to try them all out myself over the next few weeks but just good to see other peoples opinions.
My mate has just joined barrassie, gave up his membership at cawder for it, he hates mats so i gather they won't be in use, personally I'd play ones your interested in and go from there, you also have western and Glasgow Gail's, There all great courses in that 5 mile stretch of land,

G1z1

Visit site
Thats me now played all 3. In 1st place and the clear winner would be prestwick st nicholas, it had the best views and the most memorable holes.
2nd would be irvine bogside really enjoyed that course also had some very nice holes that made you think instead of just grabbing the driver on all they par 4s.
3rd is barassie still a nice course but for me i just didn’t think there was any really stand out holes and quite an easy course to get round. Was actually quite surprised, i was expecting a better course if im honest. Two of the gree keepers at my local course both said they prefer barassie out of the 3 with bogside 2nd. Think if i joined barassie i would get bored after a few months.

jmcp

Visit site
You might want to consider which course has the better practice facilities, especially if you are new to golf and are keen on improving. Did you try West Kilbride ?

Cheers, John

toyboy54

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I know that it's your choice but KBGC is often used as on OPEN pre-qualifier, has just hosted the Womens Am Open AND has 27 holes!!
Team of us go down there every year to play in their Open- and it's ALWAYS full-must tell you something??

Whatever your choice, I hope you enjoy for years to come!!
BTW-if you fancy a dry/linksy (at the moment) course with tremendous views and a few hills then drop me a line --probably not too far from you?:whistle:

G1z1

Visit site
You might want to consider which course has the better practice facilities, especially if you are new to golf and are keen on improving. Did you try West Kilbride ?

Cheers, John
No not tried west Kilbride, did look it up and its just a tiny bit too far for me to drive a few times a week. The others are only 30 mins from me and think west Kilbride is around 50 mins. I play 18 holes everyday the now so don’t actually practice much except a lesson once a week, just practice when im out on the course.

G1z1

Visit site
I know that it's your choice but KBGC is often used as on OPEN pre-qualifier, has just hosted the Womens Am Open AND has 27 holes!!
Team of us go down there every year to play in their Open- and it's ALWAYS full-must tell you something??

Whatever your choice, I hope you enjoy for years to come!!
BTW-if you fancy a dry/linksy (at the moment) course with tremendous views and a few hills then drop me a line --probably not too far from you?:whistle:
yes i seen they have a full sized 9 holes that would be a bonus but im currently a member of two clubs in my area ones a full course and others a 9 hole. Plus now have the golf south aryshire membership that gets me into 8 courses so the extra 9 holes wouldn't really be a factor for me. I have been on the waiting list for must be 6 months now at st nics just going to wait that out and hopefully get in there at some point this year.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I've played KB a few times and it's got some good holes but find more a parkland heathland course than a links tbh. The new holes are more links. Enjoyed the 9 hole as well, which is part of the original course before they lengthened it to hold OQ. What about Glasgow Gailes or Western they would be my first choice and last time I was down there they were allowing new members

G1z1

Visit site
I've played KB a few times and it's got some good holes but find more a parkland heathland course than a links tbh. The new holes are more links. Enjoyed the 9 hole as well, which is part of the original course before they lengthened it to hold OQ. What about Glasgow Gailes or Western they would be my first choice and last time I was down there they were allowing new members
I think ill look into those two today. I emailed st nics on Friday asking if there was anyway to tell roughly how long i can expect to be on the waiting list and they have just emailed me back saying they dont have a record of me on the waiting list :mad: told them i handed my application into the pro shop about 6 months ago so waiting on there reply now.